The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   It’s Just A Pickup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=318544)

67chevemall 05-15-2015 02:33 PM

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

WOW, what a truck! Great Job! Didnt get a thing done at work today! What a great read that was!

BrianG 05-15-2015 02:47 PM

This would sure make a nice book. Your attention to detail is amazing, and the information contained in this thread alone is amazing. Thanks again for taking the time to put this together and continuing to update it from time to time.

LDO 05-24-2015 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my clumsy attempt at duplicating your plug wire separators. Hanging on a hook after some DEI Silver high temp paint, waiting for satin clear.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Bruce88 05-24-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 7183954)
Here is my clumsy attempt at duplicating your plug wire separators. Hanging on a hook after some DEI Silver high temp paint, waiting for satin clear.

Thanks for the inspiration.

You are more than welcome LDO

Sometimes it’s the small things that I make to finish off an installation like brackets and such that I know it makes everything work. Each installation may require slightly different parts and this is where customizing it to your needs falls. Hope your wiring brackets that you’re making are just the finishing touch that works for you.

You have some nice build threads, keep up the good work
Enjoy your build

LDO 05-24-2015 06:16 PM

Thank you sir. Coming from you, that means alot to me....

Bruce88 06-20-2015 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Storage Area

After moving the gas tank from behind the seat
What do you do with the open area now?

The area is somewhat small, not flat, and almost anything that you put back there slides side to side or finds its way under the seat or in the sloped corner areas. I’ve been looking at this area for some time and wondering what I could do?

I didn’t want to drill any additional holes in the cab, just use existing fastener holes. I did make a small bracket to mount the small air compressor for my air shocks in the passenger side sloped area that I did some time ago on the build, I’m not going to change the compressor bracket and is the reason the bracket/frame I designed does not go all the way over to the passenger side corner. I’m primarily going to use the boxes I made for tie down straps, trailer hitch ball, and scissor jack storage.

Material I used to make the bracket/frame and boxes
2 inch X 1/8 inch Aluminum bar for forward bracket/frame legs and brace between forward and aft angles
1 inch X 1 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for forward edge of bracket/frame and corners of the boxes
1.5 inch X 1.5 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for aft edge of bracket/frame and aft legs
.025 thick Aluminum sheet for the boxes
3/16 blind rivets 1/8 & ¼ inch grip length
¼ - 20 X 1 inch bolts and rivnuts for box mounting bolts to bracket/frame
5/16 – 18 X 1 inch bolts for mounting bolts to floor (old gas tank lower fastener holes)
¼ inch thick rubber for cushion on aft legs
I had some tool box liner mat that I put in the bottom of the boxes to minimize any rattling and sliding in the boxes

I’m not going to give any exact measurements concerning the bracket/frame or boxes. Because each truck could be a little different plus different seats that could be used. It’s kind of build to fit your needs bracket/frame and boxes. So if you like the concept and want to make your own you will need to break out your tape measure and build to your truck (smile).

Here are some pictures of the bracket/frame and boxes from different angles out of the truck.

Attachment 1417524

Best pictures I could get with the bracket/frame installed, seat moved forward for access and viewing.

Attachment 1417525

Attachment 1417526

Best pictures I could get with the boxes installed on the bracket/frame, seat moved all the way aft to its normal driving location.

Attachment 1417527

Attachment 1417528

Enjoy your build

88Stanger 06-21-2015 11:06 PM

Thank you for this write up!!!

y5mgisi 10-29-2015 07:45 AM

Hey Bruce, a few years ago, in post 712, you posted a picture or two of factory timing numbers out of a book. Do you happen to have one for a 69 396 big block out of a chevelle? Or any advice on where I could find such info? Thanks!

Bruce88 10-29-2015 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7357579)
Hey Bruce, a few years ago, in post 712, you posted a picture or two of factory timing numbers out of a book. Do you happen to have one for a 69 396 big block out of a chevelle? Or any advice on where I could find such info? Thanks!

Hi
I looked thru my books and found some 396 big block distributor numbers (posted below).

As with older engines that people have it can be hard to tell whether the distributor you have on the engine is the original stock one or has it been changed. If you’re trying to set the distributor to a stock distributor curve the numbers below should get you in the ball park, but you’re still going to need to check it. Recommend that you check your distributor curve exactly the same way I described it in post #712 & 716 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=29 but with the numbers you’re trying to achieve.

The performance timing curve that I described in the post will work with the 396 big block and an upgrade to a HEI distributor is possible if desired just make sure you remove the resistor block or resistor wire to power your HEI distributor.

Attachment 1461573

Hope this helps you out
Enjoy your build

y5mgisi 10-29-2015 02:09 PM

I plan on following your write up! Just wanted to see where it was at with respect to original.

crakarjax 02-20-2016 09:42 PM

Thanks for the detailed build Bruce, I always enjoy seeing how people accomplish things; it gets me motivated and thinking about my own build! Nice meeting you the other day and thanks for the practice doors :)

72peace 03-01-2017 01:43 PM

Phenomenal build, don't want to lose this one. ttt

Cheers,

El Dorado Jim 03-01-2017 03:58 PM

great job on your truck!!!!

KMAT 10-31-2019 04:52 PM

Look great. Why does the rear brake lines have to run down pass. Side of frame rail? Wouldnt driver side be shorter distance?

dracko 10-31-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMAT (Post 8619279)
Look great. Why does the rear brake lines have to run down pass. Side of frame rail? Wouldnt driver side be shorter distance?

You could customize any route but at the rear PS there’s a junction block fitting in the frame and the stock lines on the diff are set up to take line from the PS. So it’s easier.

LT7A 05-23-2022 04:49 PM

Hey Bruce, it does not look like you have been on the site for quite some time. I hope things are well and that you are enjoying your truck immensely. I'm so glad that I discovered this thread and I read it avidly over a period of days.

I think some folks get caught up in trying to replicate what you did. I understand that because it's outstanding. For me, the approach that you took and your efforts to research and simplify things are great teachers.

We're nearly neighbors, and I will be watching for your truck. I hope to see it and meet you sometime. Thank you for all the effort that you put into documenting your build process.

PS, I'd also like to hear more about the Volvo with the 327!

Take care, and may your road be as straight or as twisty as you wish, and may your small block Chevy get you down that road at whatever speed makes you happy.

BLP1969 09-22-2022 01:24 AM

How do I subscribe?

SCOTI 09-22-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLP1969 (Post 9126712)
How do I subscribe?

Once you post in a 'thread' it typically will populate your page when you first log-in to the site (if there were any additional posts)