The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   71 4X4 Frame off Restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596036)

DWilbur 11-25-2019 12:55 AM

Re: 71 4X4 Frame off Restoration

1 Attachment(s)
I got some work done this weekend modified the transmission adapter by moving the hole center 1/2" each way so the bolts align from moving the engine forward 1". w
Went to my friend house Friday and he helped cut down a part so my front and rear T-case sticks fit better. Installed the new wiper motor and it fit good. the Vintage Air was difficult to get bolted up the the firewall ad to remove the rear bracket and the wiring on top to fit it in. Only lost 1 grommet pushing the tubing through the fire wall. Got the driver door rubber installed holds the door out about an inch. and got the door lock linkage inside the door working.

DWilbur 12-02-2019 05:53 PM

Well it rained most of my time off work and I got sick Friday so no work on the truck during the Holidays. No room in the garage to move around to work in side. I did receive my wiper motor shaft seal from GMC Paul. The smaller one that fits tight to the main shaft. If the rain stops I should be able to finish up work under cowl.

Gregski 12-07-2019 05:49 PM

FACT: this man aint skierd of naffin'!

First c10 01-08-2020 12:14 PM

Hey DW how's the truck coming?

DWilbur 01-08-2020 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have not done much after thanksgiving got sick for the 3 days after and the weekends have been raining + working late shift at work kills my truck time until March. I can only work on my truck in the driveway no room in the garage. I did get the grill installed Sunday. I will have to rework the aftermarket grill insert so my fingers will fit to open the hood.

First c10 01-09-2020 02:57 AM

Nice. Who did you get the insert from?

Are you going to be able to store it inside the garage when complete since it’s so long??

DWilbur 01-17-2020 05:22 PM

Got the inserts from LMC truck. it fits in the garage now. when its done it will be to high to fit.

DWilbur 01-23-2020 08:41 PM

Okay I went off the deep end and bought a Magnuson supercharger TVS2300 for my truck. LSX Concepts make kits to fit the supercharger with Vintage Air kit. The other part I had to buy is cylinder head adapter for Cathedral port to square port to make it work on my truck because I put about $1500 worth of work in the cathedral port heads I have. I should have the supercharger and head adapter next week. the pulleys and brackets I will order after I send some pictures of my engine to LSX Concepts to see if I have to change the AC pump brackets or not.

swamp rat 01-23-2020 09:50 PM

Damn!!!

First c10 01-24-2020 02:12 AM

Nice. I can’t wait to see it.

Richard 01-24-2020 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8665015)
Okay I went off the deep end and bought a Magnuson supercharger TVS2300 for my truck. LSX Concepts make kits to fit the supercharger with Vintage Air kit. The other part I had to buy is cylinder head adapter for Cathedral port to square port to make it work on my truck because I put about $1500 worth of work in the cathedral port heads I have. I should have the supercharger and head adapter next week. the pulleys and brackets I will order after I send some pictures of my engine to LSX Concepts to see if I have to change the AC pump brackets or not.

I see you decided to use the LSX Concepts brackets. I got the Gilmer belt drive setup for my LSA. Quality looks good. Will not be installing myself for a few months. Truck paint is delayed due to having the car I am selling going into paint first.

DWilbur 01-24-2020 07:17 PM

I might have problem with the crank pulley fitting the front cross member is real tight.

DWilbur 01-24-2020 08:29 PM

So I had to buy the complete bracket and pulley kit to make it work. The pulleys move all the accessories back about 1.5" and the supercharger pulley end up about where my stock truck pulley is now. witch helps with how tight my crank pulley is to the front cross member. Also I ordered there fuel rails do to conflict with the cooling lines.

Richard 01-28-2020 02:52 PM

I thought that may be the case. Hopefully someone else needs the brackets you already have. You are making me question if I am going to have clearance problems at the front of my motor due to the wide gilmer belt setup I am using. Will know in a couple of months. Cool truck build.

DWilbur 01-29-2020 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My supercharger was delivered yesterday and it is heavy I can hardly pick it up. going to take cheery picker to installit. looks real cool. if the weather is good this weekend I will install it. waiting for the rest of the brackets and pulleys to complete the installation.

DWilbur 01-29-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 8667826)
I thought that may be the case. Hopefully someone else needs the brackets you already have. You are making me question if I am going to have clearance problems at the front of my motor due to the wide gilmer belt setup I am using. Will know in a couple of months. Cool truck build.

If you can modify the passenger side fire wall for clearance for the coil pack then you can slide you engine back some more. This is where I have clearance issues. As my engine sits I can pass my finger in-between the fire wall and the right side coil pack and my crank pulley is about 3/16 clear of the front cross member. My cross member is angled back some older frames are more vertical witch would give more room.

Richard 01-30-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8668633)
If you can modify the passenger side fire wall for clearance for the coil pack then you can slide you engine back some more. This is where I have clearance issues. As my engine sits I can pass my finger in-between the fire wall and the right side coil pack and my crank pulley is about 3/16 clear of the front cross member. My cross member is angled back some older frames are more vertical witch would give more room.

Good to know. Have no problem clearancing the fire wall. I have the Pacific Fabrications crossmember. Have yet to even test fit the motor and trans (LSA/6l90) Have to wait until I get truck back now. Looking at the DT mid length tri-y headers. Seen some info that passenger side clearance is an issue with these as well. Want 1 7/8 primary's and full length usually hang to low for me.

DWilbur 02-06-2020 03:28 AM

I received 2 more boxes today from the big brown truck accessories brackets and pulleys. still a couple more boxes coming. I will post pics in the next few days.

Richard 02-06-2020 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8668170)
My supercharger was delivered yesterday and it is heavy I can hardly pick it up. going to take cheery picker to installit. looks real cool. if the weather is good this weekend I will install it. waiting for the rest of the brackets and pulleys to complete the installation.

Bad A** hope all goes well with install.

DWilbur 02-07-2020 01:26 AM

The big brown truck delivered the fuel rails today. I think that is the last box. if I can find time this week end I will try and install some of the parts.

PS I have a new family member as of last week, 9 week old Black Lab and she has been alot to handle.

DWilbur 03-03-2020 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
picture of Maggy 1st day home and passed out after first walk.

Richard 03-04-2020 05:16 AM

She looks like a sweetie.

rgunlock 03-04-2020 10:50 AM

More like a handful :lol: Those lab pups have a LOT of energy!

First c10 03-04-2020 11:31 AM

Man... I have been wanting to get another dog but thinking of the first year is painful! my last dog chewed everything. I mean everything!!!
I like the name "Maggie" short for Magnuson???

DWilbur 03-04-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8688980)
Man... I have been wanting to get another dog but thinking of the first year is painful! my last dog chewed everything. I mean everything!!!
I like the name "Maggie" short for Magnuson???

My biggest problem is working graveyard shift and not being home then sleeping half of the day makes potty training difficult. she has be good about not chewing on things other than me so far. she does bring in a lot of stuff from the back yard today its pine cones.