The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The Project Havoc.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=316300)

garagemonster 03-05-2009 04:20 AM

Re: The Project Havoc....

great work

FRENCHBLUE72 03-05-2009 09:59 AM

Shes looking great keep up the good work.

Tyler58 03-05-2009 12:33 PM

work hard

nuke1 03-06-2009 12:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well i went out to the garage this morning around 7. wnet in today with a plan, to try and finish my frame up. I got close. Because i am now using the old (new) headers i had to come up with a place for the mufflers, so in my sleep last nite i cam up with this. i think it looks frickin bad *ss. my opinion. So now they are mounted and hang not too bad below the truck. I then made a bracket for my proportioning valve. after that my brothers wifes brother came over to bs. well i put him too work for a few hours. Thanks you Josh i really appreciated it. We stripped the frame back down to nothing and stated the finish welding and grinding of the frame. overall i think it is looking pretty good. Unfortunatley i ran out of mig gas with the notches left to weld in and a couple of other little things, but for the most part it is 97% done. Wow what a feeling. Anyways here are some pics. And of course a pic for the day. Enjoy

James

Total Hours: 150.5 hrs

nuke1 03-06-2009 12:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I am also having a dilema, i can not pick btn the rims we have choosen. Mel picked the top ones, which i really like, but i like the bottom ones for the deep lip, i hate decisions. what do you think. i am going tfor the pro touring look in a way and that is where the top ones win. i am so lost. ARGGGGGGGHHHH

74chevy454 03-06-2009 12:49 PM

Great job on the exhaust, the location looks right on. They almost look like you planned that all along. I also like the hole pattern u having going on. 1 question are the holes just for looks or do they give strength in the part as well. OOOOh and the frame looks off the hook and cant wait to see it all finished up.:metal: ooh and my choice is the top 1's if going for the pro touring look, just my opinion.

Tyler58 03-06-2009 01:26 PM

How wheel is tire?

texanidiot25 03-06-2009 01:47 PM

Love that frame.

I'd go with the 2nd set, but that's because I like the lip to be smooth, not with anything coming off the spokes.

SCOTI 03-06-2009 02:29 PM

Very nice. How low do you feel you'll ultimately be? Any worries those mufflers will possibly make contact?

nuke1 03-06-2009 07:40 PM

Tyler, they are 20" rims.

And Scoti, the exhaust by the looks of it will be about 4-5 inches off the ground, i hope no lower, in the future she will get modified, they hang the same distance as the headers below the crossmember, 1 inch. I am not a bagged truck or anything, the springs are 2 inch front with 2.5 inch drop spindles and 5 inch out back with probaly a 1 inch block, we will see. i can always put a skid guard on the exhaust, LOL, whatever works.

texanidiot25 03-06-2009 08:49 PM

Going to add some sort of flexible line on the pipes so the engine motions don't pull on the pipes?

Tyler58 03-06-2009 10:47 PM

COOL look good

nuke1 03-07-2009 07:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, Texan the exhaust is mounted with rubber bushings, you just do not see them in the pics, the way i have the engine set up there should be very little flex, we will see and i could be wrong. Anyways, i took yesterday off and went shopping with the wife, had a relaxing day i gues syou could say. so today i got up and made my way our to the shop. I finished up the rest of the welding, got my notches put in, my bumpstops installed, a few gussets in a couple spots, mounted the fuel tank and a few odds and ends. I do have one thing to say, The FRAME IS DONE!!!!!!:metal::metal::metal:

I have to sandblast it now and paint it. i am not gonna worry about making it too pretty right now, i just want to slap the truck back together for the year and run her. If i do not like how it handles or drives i will change it. My plan is to tear her apart next winter again and really detail it and paint her. so for now we are jsut gonna rat truck HAVOC. which is fine with me as i can them beat the hell out of her and enjoy her for the year.

Anyways on to some pics. not much just a few.

James

Total Hours: 158.5hrs

P.S. we picked a set of rims out, they are not the two above, we found something that we both loved, will let you know later. i phoned them today to order them and they are gonna get back to me on monday with pricing, have to ship from california. Any one want to deliver a set of tires for a wobbly pop or two and some B.S time. hehe

The last pic is of a truck that was my inspriartion, does anyone know whose it is, because i just love it.

SCOTI 03-07-2009 10:30 PM

Nice job. I like the notches & the bumpstop bracket location (looks well thought out).

nuke1 03-07-2009 11:02 PM

Thanks Scoti, i have thought long and hard on how to do this, i really appreciate the comment.

OrangeAnimal 03-08-2009 11:02 PM

Nice work. Keep it up! I wish I had the space to tear mine apart like that. I already have a car torn apart in my garage. So my truck sits in the driveway begging for attention.

IvelDesigns 03-09-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanidiot25 (Post 3183341)
Love that frame.

I'd go with the 2nd set, but that's because I like the lip to be smooth, not with anything coming off the spokes.

i'll second both points.

nuke1 03-10-2009 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well this is how the truck is gonna look for the next week, i have too get that darn camaro apart to go and get sanblasted, so after it is out of the garage for the next couple of weeks, i am gonna thrash and slam my truck together so i can drive it this season, then next winter i will tear her down again for the grand finale.

James

pocoloco71 03-11-2009 12:05 PM

I agree, put your truck together. Great job. Great skills.

kyull67 03-11-2009 01:27 PM

Your frame looks great! The only thing I know about that green truck is that the wheels are Boyd Magneatos. (Same ones I have.)

robmrtnbb5 03-11-2009 11:42 PM

lookin good there

nuke1 03-28-2009 03:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Well i have got a bit done on the truck in the last but. i did not realize i have not posted a few things so i may as well do a tell all first then on to pics. I ordered my rims and they are gonna be here on tuesday, i had a buch of parts show up: seat belts, gauges, some paint, engine brackets and pulleys, rear gears and detroit tuetrac, trans cooler, radiator and a bunch of odds and ends........ Way too much stuff. So anyways i got the frame painted, and do not be mad with me, i painted it with tremclad, only for the simple reason next winter i want to tear it down and powder coat the frame and suspension pieces as long as i like how she handles. i Put a shift kit, bigger boost valve and a corvette servo in the trans, a 700r4. We will see how long it lasts with nearly 500hp, lol. I better not put the nitous on her this year then. i Machined my valve covers for breathers, and got some of my frontend put together. and this morning i painted my engine: LIMETIME GREEN made by house of colors. wooohoooo. it is SEXY. Anyuways i will post some pics and get back to work. Just waiting for the engine to dry.
Later.

James

Total Hours:185.5

nuke1 03-28-2009 03:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And some more, that last frame pic looks like i got a little overspray on it, guess i am gonna have to go check

VA72C10 03-28-2009 04:30 PM

That is a sweet color for the engine!!!

sourkraut 03-28-2009 08:48 PM

is that basecoat, clear? does it hold up well to heat or do you add somthing to help it hold up better? great work, very creative and have very good ideas!