The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Protrash Re-hash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342934)

joe231 06-21-2009 12:50 PM

Re: Protrash Re-hash

looks like you know what your doing....I don't have a clue, but I'm going to push through all our body work anyway...
trial by fire is the only way to do it :devil:
well that and read everything I can get my hands on...
:lol:

jgh64pkup 06-21-2009 12:53 PM

im glad my dad knows what hes doing on the bodywork i wouldnt even know where to start
he wants me to do it but i always end up screwing it up

protrash64 06-21-2009 04:41 PM

Thanx guys. I'm learning still; and I'm not fast at all. The biggest thing is to be clean. I wipe everything with wax and grease remover between every application of plastic or fibreglass filler.

I was going to post up some of the tools I use later. The thing that helped me the most was the 24'' sanding block. I also use a straight edge to check if what Im seeing is what is actually going on. It sounds funny, but your eyeballs will lie sometimes. I still need to get some pointers from Alan about sanding around the wheelwells and the body lines.

I just started using a hammer and dolly and I am really surprised what you can do with it. Just trying to learn things as I go, also.

jason65 06-21-2009 05:25 PM

Lookin good Jeff. I'm slow also. But you can see so much more when your not just flying through it. Your shave job on the outside door handles looks good. I see some around here that are so bubbled and rusted that it aint cool anymore. Do you like your static drop or the wifes pnumatic drop best?

protrash64 06-21-2009 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3372329)
Lookin good Jeff. I'm slow also. But you can see so much more when your not just flying through it. Your shave job on the outside door handles looks good. I see some around here that are so bubbled and rusted that it aint cool anymore. Do you like your static drop or the wifes pnumatic drop best?

Thanx man...you know..I have to admit I like static drops the best. Both of the trucks ride nicely. I just dont like screwing around when Im ready to go. I also would use 3/8's line...and I may redo the system at some point. 1/2'' is a pain. 1/4'' line reminds me of a deflating air matress :lol:.

The handles, and eveything else, will look better now that Im more experienced at bodywork. For people that are interested, here are the tools that I use. I use a refillable spray bottle for the wax and grease remover...all the Durablocks and I have a flexable block that is not pictured. I use the standard grinders and die grinders also....and as I mentioned before, a straight edge + a stick to check the body for straightness.

The supplies are all Evercoat (fiberglass, Rage, glaze). I use rolled adhesive backed paper. 36g for ripping down the fiberglass and then most of the stuff Im doing now is 150g....Im blocking and fixing some things. I figure the 3rd or 4th time I do this stuff the truck will be looking really nice.

Alan's Classic 06-21-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3372259)
Thanx guys. I'm learning still; and I'm not fast at all. The biggest thing is to be clean. I wipe everything with wax and grease remover between every application of plastic or fibreglass filler.

I was going to post up some of the tools I use later. The thing that helped me the most was the 24'' sanding block. I also use a straight edge to check if what Im seeing is what is actually going on. It sounds funny, but your eyeballs will lie sometimes. I still need to get some pointers from Alan about sanding around the wheelwells and the body lines.
I just started using a hammer and dolly and I am really surprised what you can do with it. Just trying to learn things as I go, also.

Guide coat and I also use masking tape if a body line is giving me trouble. Lay the tape on the bodyline edge and sand up to it while using guide coat. When you feel the filler look away. Your eyes will make you hands feel things. Just try it.

daverod 07-07-2009 08:45 PM

Your eyes can decieve you; don't trust them. Obi-wan Kenobi

Use the force.;) Don't you just love body work. Mine is all taken apart so I can lay it flat to work on. I feel for ya.

protrash64 07-07-2009 10:32 PM

Surprised to see this up here.......all I can say at this point is bondo-boogers and Ibuprofen.:dig:

shortbed70 07-07-2009 10:45 PM

I feel your pain on sanding I'm doing the body on my cab now and everyday I make a mess just to clean it up and do it again tomarrow but getting closer. Nice progress.

protrash64 07-07-2009 10:54 PM

......:lol: thanx s/b70. I'm working on my doors right now. Both are rust free but beat. They both had door check damage and the drivers door had a poorly repaired dent down low. I have the replacement panel to fix the door, but may wait until the rest of the sanding is done.

I'm finding the most difficult place to get straight is the 'indent' below the body line. It has a weird curve and I'm not sure how to approach it. So far I have been using my small Durablock to sand a small line about 1.5'' up. I then sand up to the body line from there. I then go back and sand down the lower portion. It seems to get it straight and doesnt leave any weird contour.

Any body people feel free to lend a hint or two ;).

Alan's Classic 07-07-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3400399)
I'm finding the most difficult place to get straight is the 'indent' below the body line. It has a weird curve and I'm not sure how to approach it. So far I have been using my small Durablock to sand a small line about 1.5'' up. I then sand up to the body line from there. I then go back and sand down the lower portion. It seems to get it straight and doesnt leave any weird contour.

Any body people feel free to lend a hint or two ;).

I used a 15" piece of 1" PVC pipe and put some sticky paper on it to get that inside curve. Towards the bottom of that curve I used a flat block up on it's edge and sanded at 45 degree angles to the crease. Hope you can get a visual on it.

protrash64 07-07-2009 11:16 PM

Thanks Alan. It sounds like I'm approaching it correctly. Hmmm, I must be getting the hang of this stuff:lol:!!!!!! I have just been using my regular 'fullsize' blocks for the upper portion and using the edge to get the curve. I rely on the length not to dig any strange grooves along the whole panel.

Alan's Classic 07-07-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3400451)
Thanks Alan. It sounds like I'm approaching it correctly. Hmmm, I must be getting the hang of this stuff:lol:!!!!!! I have just been using my regular 'fullsize' blocks for the upper portion and using the edge to get the curve. I rely on the length not to dig any strange grooves along the whole panel.

Sounds like the right approach. Have you dusted any black paint on it prior to sanding?

shrunken66stroker 07-07-2009 11:45 PM

A little guide coat never hurt anything. That 24" block is key to keeping the long straight lines- long and straight. And the close your eyes and feel trick works surprisingly well. Most of the time you'll feel stuff that you'll never be able to see.

protrash64 07-07-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3400467)
Sounds like the right approach. Have you dusted any black paint on it prior to sanding?

Yes. My truck has high build on it right now.....I just sand it lightly with 150 and see what shows up. After I make some corrections I spray it to see how it's looking.

I got scared off the round block after making some work for myself around the wheelwells on the bedsides:lol:.

Alan's Classic 07-08-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3400509)
Yes. My truck has high build on it right now.....I just sand it lightly with 150 and see what shows up. After I make some corrections I spray it to see how it's looking.

I got scared off the round block after making some work for myself around the wheelwells on the bedsides:lol:.

You have probably already learned this, but move the round block sideways at 45 degree angles then reverse the direction. That rule applies to all blocks. If you move any block in a straight line on it's edge it will dig out divets, even a round block.

MacAttack 07-08-2009 09:56 AM

Wow guys, this is all voodoo to me. :mm:

I know I’ll have to face it and go through the learning curve soon (because the rust is insatiable), but I’m really not looking forward to it.

First things first though, I need to buy the welding stuff and learn how to do the patch panel thing. My boy took a series of in-depth welding classes and from the look of his various coupons - got it down fairly well.

Thanks again for the detail in your techniques and hard learned tricks.

Mac. :chevy:

protrash64 07-08-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3400918)
Wow guys, this is all voodoo to me. :mm:

I know I’ll have to face it and go through the learning curve soon (because the rust is insatiable), but I’m really not looking forward to it.

First things first though, I need to buy the welding stuff and learn how to do the patch panel thing. My boy took a series of in-depth welding classes and from the look of his various coupons - got it down fairly well.

Thanks again for the detail in your techniques and hard learned tricks.

You'll get there....plan on being completely p/o'd sometimes staring in disbelief at what you just did!:lol: I learned welding by starting on heavier stuff and getiing the feel of it. Make brackets and fix cracks and so forth. I think the best first welding project is to make a cart for your welder. You'll learn alot and you will be happy not to drag it around. As far as bodywork goes, I'm very slow. The thing that helped me the most was, as shrunken66 mentioned, getting the 24'' block. It really keeps you from digging in one place too much.

I will continue to post up stuff as I go; even if I'm the one with the bruised ego:lol:!!!!

MacAttack 07-08-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3401169)
You'll get there....plan on being completely p/o'd sometimes staring in disbelief at what you just did!:lol:

Gee - sounds like me in the bathroom the morning after a huge Mexican dinner and way too many Corona's.

joe231 07-08-2009 01:24 PM

we all appreciate that! ;)

i meant this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3401169)
I will continue to post up stuff as I go; even if I'm the one with the bruised ego:lol:!!!!

not what mac said :uhmk:

ruffrida2005 07-08-2009 01:27 PM

I found your thread, I cant believe I didn't see it before. Looks good, you got any pics of your phantom grill?

protrash64 07-08-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3401186)

i meant this...

not what mac said :uhmk:

........I figured as much, unless you meant to say 'lite a match' before that statement:lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3401184)
Gee - sounds like me in the bathroom the morning after a huge Mexican dinner and way too many Corona's.

......sounds like a very shallow 'learning curve' to me.......:haha:

joe231 07-08-2009 02:00 PM

:haha:

MacAttack 07-08-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3401186)

I knew you would. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3401192)
......sounds like a very shallow 'learning curve' to me.......:haha:

Yeah - true dat, and sometimes it splashes back. :smoke:

Mac. :lol::lol::lol:

jason65 07-08-2009 03:01 PM

:pty::haha: