The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Fixrupr (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=477827)

landarts 10-05-2011 12:49 PM

Re: Fixrupr

Still have the cab and box to paint. Taking a few days off , some painting will resume next week.

wicky 10-05-2011 01:02 PM

The hood n everything thurned out nice!! Can't wait to see this thing.together :)
Posted via Mobile Device

68 TT 10-05-2011 04:12 PM

The pieces turned out nice. Keep up the great work.

VALDEZ 10-05-2011 05:34 PM

i dont know what you guys are talking about the valdez doesnt need any help haha she is all done and race ready hahaha

landarts 10-09-2011 11:09 AM

Well getting ready to get back on the paint job. Items to do to finish the job.
  • Clean rear frame and paint
  • wipe down cab and mask off interior for over spray
  • wipe down bed

Items to paint
  • cab
  • bed
  • hinges for door
  • bolts & striker plates
  • grill inserts - metallic silver
  • buddy bucket frame and center box - black
  • center seat upper bracket for buddy seat
  • cowl and tailgate

landarts 10-20-2011 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well finally back to finishing the paint job. Got everything out of the garage and pulled the bed in on its stand. Finishing up a little wet sanding on the inner bed rails that are to get the paint also. Everything below inside the bed will get Raptor liner in black.

Here a shot of me getting it ready, will shot later this afternoon or lunch time on Friday. Needed to get the temperature up a little in the shop for painting.

chevy88 10-20-2011 08:37 PM

Really nice job on the paint, this isn't your first paint job is it?

landarts 10-21-2011 06:53 AM

Yes it is my first paint job. Lots of reading, research, asking questions. Then I started with small parts like all the items under the hood and the firewall. I chose to paint the truck in parts. Started with the inside of the cab , then shot the doors, front fenders and hood on the next go around.

I wanted to learn the process so I took the jump.

landarts 10-21-2011 11:38 AM

Headed back out to the shop to paint the bed now. Had to go to Napa and pickup a different temperature reducer for the base and clear. When I painted a few weeks ago I used the cr734 which has a range from 80 to 100. Temps have drop since then, today its supposed to be around 70-71. Went with the cr732 which has a temp range of 60 to 70, should put me right on the money.

The paint job has used all Napa Crossfire products.
  • Base coat
  • clear coat
  • etching primer
  • 2k surface primer
  • 2k sealer

So far the products have work well and the coverage was great.

67cheby 10-21-2011 11:45 AM

careful today with that big of a temp difference it changes the whole game !

landarts 10-22-2011 10:35 AM

Got the bed sealed and the first coat of base on. Found an area that needs to be fixed before I spray the other two coats of base and the clear.

Pictures to follow.

landarts 10-22-2011 11:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the pictures from the first coat of base.

landarts 10-22-2011 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the area that needs to be fixed before going further....see picture

67cheby 10-22-2011 12:23 PM

nice work

landarts 10-22-2011 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here a picture of adding 2k primer surfacer to the area that was low.

VA72C10 10-22-2011 05:19 PM

Looking good!

landarts 10-22-2011 08:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the repair made. Clean up and wipe down, get ready to finish the paint on the bed in the morning.

For this repair I taped some mask paper around the area to be repaired so the filler primmer would not get all over everything. Then turned down the fan pattern on the gun and feathered in the filler primer in the area that was low. I had two high power halogen lamps helping with the drying times. Laid down about 4 coats over the low area with about 10 to 15 minutes between coats.

Went back in the house and watched the Boise State football game while thing cured up. Went out at Halftime and added two more dedicated breakers to my electrical panel so that I would have a dedicated for the compressor and a dedicated breaker for all the lights we are using while painting.

Here is a few shots of the repair after wet sanding with 320 and feathering with 800.

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-23-2011 12:08 PM

Nice work on the repair spot, good thing you got it before you got too far along.
keep up the good work man!:chevy:

mjensen 10-23-2011 12:41 PM

That looks very nice. I too will be attempting my first paint job on mine...that will probably be in 10 yrs :)

landarts 10-23-2011 06:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the repair completed and shot the final two coats of base and 2 coats of clear today. Yahoo! The pictures came out funny, the circles you see are from the camera not the paint.

Start taping off the cab Monday and spray on Tuesday.

VA72C10 10-23-2011 06:54 PM

Looking good! Yeah, the camera sees the paint/dust in the air which is the circles...or some on the lens itself...

landarts 10-23-2011 09:23 PM

Its the lens I dropped the camera on the carpet and did not bother to clean it. I will have to be fore i shot any more picts.

67cheby 10-23-2011 10:05 PM

nice

landarts 10-25-2011 09:14 AM

Paint schedule for the next few days.
Tuesday - finish prepping small parts that need painting like the following:
  • radiator finger guard
  • buddy bucket seat cab bracket
  • cowl
  • brake booster
  • master cylinder
  • over flow bracket
  • headlight bezels

And a few more odds and ends.

Wednesday - Prep cab for painting , clean and mask
Thursday or Friday paint cab!

landarts 10-26-2011 06:15 PM

Let me tell you about a cool happening. Last week I listed a complete 1967 front clip on the local craigslist for $400. I got a few calls right after I listed, but as usual a few no shows. Typical for most Craigslist shoppers. Monday I received a call from a guy that was interested in the clip, he kept talking about how he bought this 4x4 that had a wrecked front end and needed to replace it. Then he goes on to say that he was really looking for a 72 clip for the truck.

Well I happen to have one of those over at the storage unit next my house, I told him that that clip was 100% complete, rust free and the body work had already been done. He says give me your address and I will come and get Tuesday afternoon.

I gave him the address and the next day he shows up with the $450 and we load it. Then he goes on to tell me that he drove 10 hours from Vegas to get it and was on his way back so he would'nt be late for work.

Wow I was blown away that I had local people that said they were on there way over and never showed, this guy drove 10 hours one way.

Now thats dedication to your cause.