The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The "Ole 69er" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568661)

jmorri34 01-04-2014 03:41 PM

Re: The "Ole 69er"

5 Attachment(s)
Tore all the A/C-Heater stuff from under the dash and under the hood out and started cleaning and painting and installing the new parts. Heres the new ventballs and housing job just got done with. Took them aprt let them soak painted them put new felts in the housings and installed the new vent balls. Used hot glue to hold the felts in place and its tight but I figure they will loosen up sooner or later. Heres some pics and the start of the next phase, the control setup with new switch and a new defrost bar.

jmorri34 01-04-2014 03:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more pics

jmorri34 01-20-2014 10:34 AM

Think I finally got the transmission leak fixed (knock on wood) put a second new pan gasket on it and replaced the tailshaft seal for good measure. Has the tiniest drip on the rearend but not even on the ground. Still have an annoying rotating clack sound underneath somewhere in a turn not convinced its the rearend gears as it doesnt speed up or slow down with speed only gets louder and quiter with the turn commencing. I think I am going to replace the carrier bearing next to eliminate that although I am not convinced its that either. Anyone has any ideas let me know I am wide open on this one! Put the new arm rests on it and new outside OEM round mirrors on the doors cleaned up and painted the master cylinder silver. Every little bit makes a change, just have to remember to be patient and it will come together. took a ride on a nice sunny cool summer afternoon yesterday and it ran good.:chevy:

mcbassin 01-20-2014 12:06 PM

Very nice progress. I can't help you much on the noise. You don't think it's something in the rear differential?

jmorri34 01-20-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6481183)
Very nice progress. I can't help you much on the noise. You don't think it's something in the rear differential?

Well heres the deal, its very possible because the rearend is all brand new and has a nascar locker in it with all brand new gears and they are very tight still. They said it may make some noise but this is a clack sound and you would think it would slow down and speed up with the throttle in the turns but it doesnt it just gets louder and quieter with it. It may well be the rearend like they said but I was just curious if anyone had any other explanations you know. Its a bullet proof rearend for this truck I built so maybe it is just what they said it might do, I have just never heard it before.

jmorri34 01-27-2014 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of pics out on the town today. Ran good!!:metal:

jmorri34 02-11-2014 05:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got A new bumper, brackets and license plate tray, also got the new shiny grill shell for the front. Couple of pics to show the parts and the final product. shes coming along!!:metal:

jmorri34 02-14-2014 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the new grill on today, nice and shiny and straight!!

jmorri34 02-20-2014 07:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the wire kit for the 69er , Sure looks daunting. I hope I'm ready for this job lol. Wish me luck. Ill let you guys know how it is and turns out!!:metal:

knomadd 02-21-2014 06:33 PM

That's a great kit. Installed one on mine last year. It worked out great. In fact I've got another one in my garage awaiting my decision to tear into my GTO and start it's rewiring. Sooner or later I'll start. :lol:

Just take your time and read your instructions. I'd suggest running all of your wires to where you'll want them before terminating them. That way you can change your mind on the routing without having too much or not enough wire...

jmorri34 02-22-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6537419)
That's a great kit. Installed one on mine last year. It worked out great. In fact I've got another one in my garage awaiting my decision to tear into my GTO and start it's rewiring. Sooner or later I'll start. :lol:

Just take your time and read your instructions. I'd suggest running all of your wires to where you'll want them before terminating them. That way you can change your mind on the routing without having too much or not enough wire...

Thanks a ton for the advice, I will do just that then. I am kinda looking forward to it actually, just wanna make sure I take plenty of pictures!!:lol:

jmorri34 02-24-2014 05:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok so I'm about to get started installing the new wiring harness and decided to gut the interior and clean it all and put some rust inhibitor on the surface rust areas and get it all clean while Im at it. Well its not to bad under there as you can see and only a couple of places like under the gas pedal where your foot rests where its kinda rough but not near all the way through so its salvageable luckily. anyway I am going to try to get as many pictures as I can so that if anyone else tackles this they can see what I did and either learn or do it differently if they like. so tomorrow I think I will take out the column, the cluster, the glove box and door and the a/c heatr controls so as to get as much access as possible. Old truck is pretty solid and I am blessed as I am well aquainted with having to put metal back in a vehicle. spent 5000.00 putting metal back in a 69 camaro before I gave up and sold it. Anyway its a nice solid little truck and and I am having a good time putting it back together and putting new parts back into it. Stay tuned and Ill get pics when I can, heres a few to get started with and as always the obligatory safety point. make sure you pull the battery cables off before starting this!!

jmorri34 02-25-2014 02:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well got started this morning taking all the stuff out of the dash so I could have lots of working room. Started working by pulling the Steering column( TIP: just take it aprt at the rag joint its 2 bolts and ten times easier) I found this out by tuggin and pulling at the collapsable joint an it dont work!!:lol: also make sure beofre you go to far with the column if you have A/T you disconnect the fiber optic cable. Anyway I then took out the gauge bezel, and then the A/C controls and finally the ash tray and the glove box. Here is a few more pics so far of the cleared dash and the bird nest of wiring I will have to deal with!

jmorri34 02-25-2014 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
old harness and starting the new one!

jmorri34 02-28-2014 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well stripped down the column and painted it black then finished rewiring under the dash and all the cab. Next to the underhood stuff!!

jmorri34 03-02-2014 06:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished the engine harness today and started the headlight harness. Only have the one headlight left to wire up and its all done. Heres a few pics of the progress, I have to say I am VERY impressed with the "American Auto wire" product the instructions are awesome and pictures help as well and there is plenty of extra wire to run where you need to with all the ends and fittings.

jmorri34 03-02-2014 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another picture, also put in new wire gutters front and back the others were toast!

azdude1964 03-26-2014 03:27 AM

looking good bro...:)

jmorri34 03-26-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azdude1964 (Post 6595375)
looking good bro...:)

Thanks Dude, I apreciate it!:metal:

mcbassin 03-26-2014 04:10 PM

Very nice work on the wiring. I hope mine goes as smooth as yours looks like it is so far. Keep up the good work.

jmorri34 03-26-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6596406)
Very nice work on the wiring. I hope mine goes as smooth as yours looks like it is so far. Keep up the good work.

Thanks I appreciate the compliment. Just take your time and resist the urge to go faster and cut corners, it almost got the better of me :lol: Im sure yours is coming along just fine, it is definitely tedious work!

Average Joe 04-04-2014 11:53 PM

Cool truck. I just read through your build thread and I gotta say the brown and blue paint really grew on me. Nice work!

jmorri34 04-08-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 6612639)
Cool truck. I just read through your build thread and I gotta say the brown and blue paint really grew on me. Nice work!

Hey thanks I appreciate it, it has grown on me too but it has taken time lol. Its still got along way to go but shes getting there!!

jmorri34 06-03-2014 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the floor all POR-15 coated and almost ready for carpet. Got the new lighter and element replaced and new kick panel carpets in also. Going to order a new radio and speakers and put a new Edelbrock intake on it in a few weeks as well. Ill try to put a few picks up then also!:metal:

Odaroloc 06-04-2014 05:37 AM

Lookin good! Keep it up!

Mike