The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 50 roadster pickup build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459839)

gigamanx 12-20-2017 10:24 PM

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flysocal (Post 8097174)
Lookin good man. Those rods that tie the core support to the lower grill, are they stock? My 49 didn’t have those and my 54 front end (changeover due to 54 cab) doesn’t have it either. Although it sure would firm things up.

My 49 has them. I tried to keep little things like that to stick with the old truck vibe. That's why I also kept the X on the front of the radiator support even though its not really needed. You can kind of see them in this pic. Sorry for posting such dirty pics of my rust bucket when all I'm seeing is sweet shiny chrome in this thread :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/656/3...f094980698.jpg

Fender saw horses. What a marvelous idea

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1513560411

oldman3 12-21-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8110247)
looks good Jim. ..curious though...why the jump from 320 to 1200 paper...i would have thought 1200 would be to fine...but I'm not a real painter either..

First thank you. 1200 is the courses they have that is used with water. The 320 cuts it good, but is done by hand, and I'm lazy. My thinking is between the two I will get the paint cut down thin, and still have a good surface for new paint...Jim

oldman3 12-21-2017 12:29 AM

gigamanx, No problem with the pic, it may help someone see how they attach.

Fender horses, as you can see by the different colors, they have been used alot...Jim

Nut Case 12-21-2017 04:44 AM

Oh Wise one, would you go step by step the process from raw steel to last clear coat. What materials you use, you know what type of primer, sealer, color, and clear. What sand paper and grits for what application. things that I need to avoid. Recommended any brands and such, what type/style sanding blocks. I've painted several projects using laqur, time to join the 21st century. This is not a time sensitive issue, just when you have time.

What gun and pressor for the various stull

Your painting skills are very good, all on needs to do is look at you roadster pick-up

Thanks in advance

NC

From Clear and Still Idaho!!!:cong:

oldman3 12-21-2017 11:16 AM

NC, I'm not a great painter, I just take my time, read directions,follow them, and talk to my local guy at the paint store. It's been 9 to 10 yrs since I've painted. My son Mark does all the painting on his projects.

I will get a list and what I did painting my 50 and also Jimbo's 67...Jim

Indian113 12-21-2017 01:56 PM

Looks like your keeping yourself busy Jim! Got any changes planned while you have it tore down? Merry Christmas from The Wife and I, Please give your Beautiful Wife a Christmas Hug from Us.

oldman3 12-22-2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 8110739)
Looks like your keeping yourself busy Jim! Got any changes planned while you have it tore down? Merry Christmas from The Wife and I, Please give your Beautiful Wife a Christmas Hug from Us.

Ray, yes busy sanding, reminds me I'm old, feel it in my back. No changes just paint and put back together. Merry Christmas to you and Eve, hug on the way...Jim

oldman3 12-25-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 8110492)
Oh Wise one, would you go step by step the process from raw steel to last clear coat. What materials you use, you know what type of primer, sealer, color, and clear. What sand paper and grits for what application. things that I need to avoid. Recommended any brands and such, what type/style sanding blocks. I've painted several projects using laqur, time to join the 21st century. This is not a time sensitive issue, just when you have time.

What gun and pressor for the various stull

Your painting skills are very good, all on needs to do is look at you roadster pick-up

Thanks in advance

NC

From Clear and Still Idaho!!!:cong:

Nut case, here's my info on primer and paint. Now remember, I'M NOT A PRO PAINTER, just you average joe. I used all PPG products on my truck. Now we use a combination of Shop line and PPG. Shop line is made by PPG, just cost less and not the same kind of warrenty.

PPG products
Exopy primer DP-40LF (comes in several colors)
Hardner DP-402LF

Buff polyester primer MX-245 high build(no longer made)

Primer surfacer K-36
Hardner K-201
Some primers also have a reducer, and I can't find it in my old files.

I used a single stage paint with NO clear.
Acrylic Urethane DCC (47100 was my color)
Urethane reducer DT 870
Urethane hardner DU5

Shop line products
Epoxy primer JP-371
Hardner JH-3770

High build primer filler JP209
uses same hardner and reducer at primer sufacer

Primer surfacer JP202
Hardner JH301
Reducer JR 506

We ONLY have PPG dealer in my town. You may have a different paint company. I've been using PPG since the late 70's, before that I use DuPont on my 56 chevy, but like PPG better.

You best bet is to get to know your paint person, that can help guide you through just about everything. You can even stop at body shops and ask them what primers, etc. they use.

Paint guns are really hard to say. My truck was painted with a Walmart HVLP gun and the paint came out fine. Now days they want a different tip for solids and clear. Also some high build primers need a 2.0 tip. East wood has some good guns for a fair price.

Which ever product you buy, get the product or data sheets, it tell how to mix, flash time, etc.

Sand paper is ????, each person does it different. I use 180 to 220 dry for my primers, when I'm sure body work is done, by final primer, is done with 400 or 600 wet paper.

Cutting and buffing the paint is again up to each person, I normally start with 1500, then 2500 wet paper then 5000 with palm sander. Then buff.

Hope this helps...Jim

Nut Case 12-26-2017 05:12 AM

Thanks a bunch, the info is fandamtastic, goin to study it closely.

What gun do you use for primer, and for paint?

Filters and such?

Air pressures and such?

Thanks again

Nut Case

reaper71 12-26-2017 09:12 AM

Nut Case this is Mark (oldman3 son)
As for the gun I have been using the 3M Accuspray it has removable tips 1.3,1.4,1.5,1.8 and 2.0 You use 1 Gun and only change the tips for different materials. Check into it. the pressure it sprays at will be stated from manufacturer and the Data sheets.

Mark

gigamanx 12-26-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8114307)
Nut case, here's my info on primer and paint. Now remember, I'M NOT A PRO PAINTER, just you average joe. I used all PPG products on my truck. Now we use a combination of Shop line and PPG. Shop line is made by PPG, just cost less and not the same kind of warrenty.

PPG products
Exopy primer DP-40LF (comes in several colors)
Hardner DP-402LF

Buff polyester primer MX-245 high build(no longer made)

Primer surfacer K-36
Hardner K-201
Some primers also have a reducer, and I can't find it in my old files.

I used a single stage paint with NO clear.
Acrylic Urethane DCC (47100 was my color)
Urethane reducer DT 870
Urethane hardner DU5

Shop line products
Epoxy primer JP-371
Hardner JH-3770

High build primer filler JP209
uses same hardner and reducer at primer sufacer

Primer surfacer JP202
Hardner JH301
Reducer JR 506

We ONLY have PPG dealer in my town. You may have a different paint company. I've been using PPG since the late 70's, before that I use DuPont on my 56 chevy, but like PPG better.

You best bet is to get to know your paint person, that can help guide you through just about everything. You can even stop at body shops and ask them what primers, etc. they use.

Paint guns are really hard to say. My truck was painted with a Walmart HVLP gun and the paint came out fine. Now days they want a different tip for solids and clear. Also some high build primers need a 2.0 tip. East wood has some good guns for a fair price.

Which ever product you buy, get the product or data sheets, it tell how to mix, flash time, etc.

Sand paper is ????, each person does it different. I use 180 to 220 dry for my primers, when I'm sure body work is done, by final primer, is done with 400 or 600 wet paper.

Cutting and buffing the paint is again up to each person, I normally start with 1500, then 2500 wet paper then 5000 with palm sander. Then buff.

Hope this helps...Jim

This is awesome. We might need a paint thread sticky sometime. I have no idea what I'm doing and just need someone to say...this works but won't break the bank.

oldman3 12-26-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 8114559)
Thanks a bunch, the info is fandamtastic, goin to study it closely.

What gun do you use for primer, and for paint?

Filters and such?

Air pressures and such?

Thanks again

Nut Case

Your welcome, Mark gave info on gun stuff...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 8114592)
Nut Case this is Mark (oldman3 son)
As for the gun I have been using the 3M Accuspray it has removable tips 1.3,1.4,1.5,1.8 and 2.0 You use 1 Gun and only change the tips for different materials. Check into it. the pressure it sprays at will be stated from manufacturer and the Data sheets.

Mark

Thanks son.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8114603)
This is awesome. We might need a paint thread sticky sometime. I have no idea what I'm doing and just need someone to say...this works but won't break the bank.

Thank you, painting is a tricky subject, what works for one person, may not for another. Paint products are constanly changing, so knowing your paint person, can help keep you informed.

You can practice when spraying primer, getting the pattern right, air pressure, distant, ect., it helps, so you feel more confident by the time your ready for paint...Jim

joedoh 01-15-2018 01:18 AM

hey jim look what I found!

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/1241161/

cant be more than a couple convertible 3100s out there?

nuke1 01-15-2018 02:15 AM

That must have been tough to sell the old rod to fund this build at first. Kudos to you for doing that. And great work so far!

oldman3 01-15-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8161126)
hey jim look what I found!

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/1241161/

cant be more than a couple convertible 3100s out there?

Thanks joedoh, nice looking truck, looks like it is a true roadster, no side windows. Counting this one, I've seen about 6 total, some weren't the best in how that did the work, but some may say the same about mine...Jim

oldman3 01-15-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 8161144)
That must have been tough to sell the old rod to fund this build at first. Kudos to you for doing that. And great work so far!

Thanks nuke1. My kids thought I would never sell it, but it was time for a change. Thanks for the kind words...Jim

oldman3 01-15-2018 10:55 AM

Well I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I should update everyone.

Day after Christmas I couldn't hardly get out of bed. Long story short, I've been layed up since then. Doctors say it's two things. My sciatica, and also bursitis in the left hip. It could take up to 8 weeks to clear itself up, so I haven't done anything since working on the hood. I'm getting around OK, but just have to take it easy and work this out.

As soon as I'm able I'll post on the repair work...Jim

OutlawDrifter 01-15-2018 11:02 AM

Rest and heal up! Health is more important than updates on the pickup!

Indian113 01-15-2018 11:08 AM

Take your time and heal up. I think our age has made us a more aware of pain. Be careful walking around if you get any Ice in your area.

oldman3 01-15-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 8161291)
Rest and heal up! Health is more important than updates on the pickup!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 8161298)
Take your time and heal up. I think our age has made us a more aware of pain. Be careful walking around if you get any Ice in your area.

Thanks Outlaw and Ray, I am resting, and taking care. Doc says it could take up to 8 weeks. Doing stretching execise, etc. Just bored out of my mind...Jim

lower50's 01-15-2018 10:05 PM

Take it easy Jim the truck will be there when you are all better, no need to rush.

oldman3 01-16-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8161878)
Take it easy Jim the truck will be there when you are all better, no need to rush.

Thanks Bob, yes it will, I'm following orders...Jim

Advanced Design 01-16-2018 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8161285)
Well I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I should update everyone.

Day after Christmas I couldn't hardly get out of bed. Long story short, I've been layed up since then. Doctors say it's two things. My sciatica, and also bursitis in the left hip. It could take up to 8 weeks to clear itself up, so I haven't done anything since working on the hood. I'm getting around OK, but just have to take it easy and work this out.

As soon as I'm able I'll post on the repair work...Jim

Sorry to hear this Jim. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

mongocanfly 01-16-2018 08:02 AM

ditto on the fast recovery

oldman3 01-16-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8162077)
Sorry to hear this Jim. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8162101)
ditto on the fast recovery

Thanks Doug and mongo...Jim