The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

Railroadman 02-11-2022 08:29 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

1 Attachment(s)
Removing the floor of the utility body, and de-rusting the frame. I left a small part of the floor to hold the fan to help blow away the dust as I'm wire brushing. Wife brought home a bunch of N95 masks the local pharmacy was giving away, I said "Perfect for the shop!" ;)

Canadian63GMC 02-11-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 9033481)
Removing the floor of the utility body, and de-rusting the frame. I left a small part of the floor to hold the fan to help blow away the dust as I'm wire brushing. Wife brought home a bunch of N95 masks the local pharmacy was giving away, I said "Perfect for the shop!" ;)

That’s a job! Nicely done!

Railroadman 02-11-2022 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian63GMC (Post 9033501)
That’s a job! Nicely done!

Thanks! I don't believe the difference in condition of the frame from one part to another. The truck had some sort of fantastic undercoating, and in many places peeling that off reveals metal which looks like it just left the assembly line. But in other places the salt has really done a job. The trailing arms have all the structural integrity of a couple potato chips!

jweb 02-14-2022 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We had some unusually nice weather over the weekend. So I built a cart for my Suburban and pulled the frame out from under it.

Canadian63GMC 02-14-2022 02:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started on my drivers door inner and outter skin replacement plus some odd dents to pull out… and 16 holes to weld up that were from previous owner that I can only assume were for different types of mirrors… and his over use of a grinder in those locations 🤦*♂️Attachment 2168015

Attachment 2168016

Attachment 2168017

66C10LB 02-14-2022 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian63GMC (Post 9034795)
Started on my drivers door inner and outter skin replacement plus some odd dents to pull out… and 16 holes to weld up that were from previous owner that I can only assume were for different types of mirrors… and his over use of a grinder in those locations 🤦*♂️Attachment 2168015

Attachment 2168016

Attachment 2168017

Looks good on your door bottoms replacement! It's wise, I think, that your outer skin butt weld will not be in a straight line. I'll be starting my doors shortly as well. Are you going to butt weld your outer skin first so that you can hammer/dolly with access to the back of the weld? ...or are going to butt weld the inner first in order to have firm backing?

Canadian63GMC 02-14-2022 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66C10LB (Post 9034827)
Looks good on your door bottoms replacement! It's wise, I think, that your outer skin butt weld will not be in a straight line. I'll be starting my doors shortly as well. Are you going to butt weld your outer skin first so that you can hammer/dolly with access to the back of the weld? ...or are going to butt weld the inner first in order to have firm backing?

Thanks for the reply, yes I’ll be butt welding outter skin first so I can hammer dolly it to get it as nice as I can followed by the inner skin. I just did the other door (passenger side), it turned out great but I used the whole patch, 1/3 of the way up. I had to English wheel the patch panel to get it right before welding it in and figured this other way is going to be a much safer way to go at it, leaving more original door metal and contour and like you said, avoid welding straight across… learning as I go!Attachment 2168032

Attachment 2168033

Nappers 03-15-2022 01:52 AM

Sorry folks, no pictures but today I:

Installed new knobs for the headlight switch, wiper and heater (one knoberoo). I had all black knobs but put the stainless and black ones in.

Installed new glovebox, it was a learning experience, had to do some trimming and whatnot. I wish I knew what to put on that cardboard to protect it. I may remove and do some final trimming.

Installed a new heater fan, those big 45 size sheet metal bolts for the airbox to cowl were all stripped out so I drilled out the holes and installed stainless nutserts with stainless steel 1/4X20 bolts. I also used stainless steel screws on the heater box and lid. The new fan worked great and didn't scream like a screech owl.

Oh yeah, installed new clutch pedal rubber to match my brake pedal.

Slowly but surely it's coming along.

I took it for a spin to a local store (about 15 miles one way) and love driving that truck.

I also have an NV4500 5 speed to install pretty soon. Can't wait!!

I didn't have a nutsert tool, so I used a 1/4X20 bolt with a couple of washers and pulled them in with a nut behind the washers. Broke a couple of bolts thinking I had some tightening to do, note to self, broken bolt, probably tight enough. The airbox is sturdy now.

Here's a pix of the truck itself with an under the hood for giggles. I'll try to get some pix of the new stuff but it started to rain when I finished up putting my toys(tools) away.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/galle.../IMG_10996.JPG

https://www.autogeekonline.net/galle.../IMG_10964.JPG

jweb 03-15-2022 03:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the frame and body ready over the last few weeks and both sent out to be blasted this morning.

Canadian63GMC 03-15-2022 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost done inner door skin, finished welding, just gotta hammer over bottom flange.Attachment 2177446

Attachment 2177447

Pitpig 03-17-2022 09:23 PM

Fixed mystery coolant leak. LS swapped 66 had post shutdown leak under front passenger side. Checked all the usual suspects, weep hole, thermostat housing etc. coolant was leaking from loose heater hose where it clamps to core, along bottom of hose to inner fender (under the hose where you can’t see it). Then trickled down inside of frame and out to the frame horn and out a bolt hole.

derek1387 03-20-2022 12:15 PM

Changed to the white steel wheels, and wired up some under hood lighting, and replaced the hood springs. Been a pretty successful weekend.

pdxhall 03-20-2022 02:04 PM

I removed the driver's seat so I could get under the dash and also fix the seat slider that was not working correctly. It's always tough for a guy my size and now age has been a factor, ugh. I finished installing the cig lighter and wiring it up. I also did some rearranging wires under the dash that I had not done since putting the wiper motor in and wiring it up. I've got a couple of things left to do before putting the seat back in that I'll be working on today.

FamilyTruckster65 03-20-2022 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2178525

Railroadman 03-22-2022 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian63GMC (Post 9051909)
Almost done inner door skin, finished welding, just gotta hammer over bottom flange.Attachment 2177446

Attachment 2177447

Quite timely, I'm about to send for the inner and outer repair patches. Any words of wisdom or tips you can pass along? Straight-forward job, or PITA? Which should I do first?

Here's my work-in-progress:

Canadian63GMC 03-25-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 9055250)
Quite timely, I'm about to send for the inner and outer repair patches. Any words of wisdom or tips you can pass along? Straight-forward job, or PITA? Which should I do first?

Here's my work-in-progress:

Since I’ve never done anything like it before it took me awhile but that’s what I enjoy about working on this truck. I read a lot of tips on this forum as well as followed gibson63 videos on YouTube which gave me the confidence to tackle both doors. My first door I used the whole patch for 1/3 of the lower door skin which took a bit more care planishing each weld to keep it from warping but worked out well, drivers door I used less of the outter patch and it went a little easier. Lots of measurements prior to cutting then remove outter skin and fit new skin. After your happy with fitment cut the inner door pocket out and fit that skin. Then you can weld the outter followed by inner. Not a tough job, and ver rewarding when done.

Railroadman 03-25-2022 07:52 AM

Thanks! I'm learning as I go also, and as you say the satisfaction comes from both the finished product AND the new skill.

I'm debating whether to use the whole 11 inch patch even though I don't really have to go that far up, or trim it down as you did. Using a partial adds another cut to the process (and another chance to screw it up ;) ) but careful measurement should get me through.

Canadian63GMC 03-25-2022 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 9056538)
Thanks! I'm learning as I go also, and as you say the satisfaction comes from both the finished product AND the new skill.

I'm debating whether to use the whole 11 inch patch even though I don't really have to go that far up, or trim it down as you did. Using a partial adds another cut to the process (and another chance to screw it up ;) ) but careful measurement should get me through.

It definitely adds a littler more work but the consensus on these old truck seems to be "LEAVE AS MUCH ORIGINAL METAL AS POSSIBLE"

pdxhall 03-26-2022 01:29 PM

I finished cleaning up the wiring after installing the wiper motor and switch and installing the cig lighter. I tested things out and everything is working as it should. I also worked out the problem with seat adjuster and got the seat back in.

forestb 03-26-2022 08:18 PM

I installed a fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge. It seemed like it was not working at first but then I took it for a drive and when I got back it started working.

60short 03-26-2022 09:31 PM

Swapped the drivers seat and the passenger seat ( as one of the studs on the drivers seat snapped)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7496c438_z.jpg

for the record, those rails do not use carriage bolts, and they are pressed in - I will be replacing the rails, once I can find some grade 8 hardware

derek1387 03-27-2022 06:50 PM

Fixed my gas gauge reading….was reading 1/2 tank as soon as I filled it….and empty like….20 minutes after I drove it.

and realized the previous owner cobbled together a lot of crap.

Canadian63GMC 03-27-2022 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dug out the frame… getting sick of this snow…Attachment 2180677

Railroadman 03-27-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian63GMC (Post 9057765)
Dug out the frame… getting sick of this snow…

Thank you! I have been bellyaching about winter's return for a few days (after hitting 70 degrees a week or two back). Now after seeing what you have, I don't feel bad at all!

Canadian63GMC 03-27-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 9057779)
Thank you! I have been bellyaching about winter's return for a few days (after hitting 70 degrees a week or two back). Now after seeing what you have, I don't feel bad at all!

LOL glad I could make someone’s day