The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's your best theft deterrent ??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=590462)

Overdriven 05-16-2017 11:53 PM

Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46stude (Post 7944652)
On a (semi) serious note, I've toyed with one idea, should a thief get one of our trucks started at say, the movies, or a hotel, or wherever it's been unattended.

I have thought many times one of the best things to do is have a wire running from the coil to the seat frame. Bet they'd get out.

Then the thief sues you for emotional trauma from being zapped in the ass. I've thought about doing some sort of stun gun many times as well, unfortunately you can't intentionally hurt the thief. Hell thieves have fallen through skylights or hurt themselves on a victims property in other ways and successfully sued them. Setting a trap like this would definitely put you on the wrong side of the law.

My luck would be I wire up a stun gun in my truck and the thief's heart stops when they get zapped. But before I get back to my truck and can dispose of the scum somebody sees them slumped over and calls 911.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-17-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdriven (Post 7944708)
Then the thief sues you for emotional trauma from being zapped in the ass. I've thought about doing some sort of stun gun many times as well, unfortunately you can't intentionally hurt the thief. Hell thieves have fallen through skylights or hurt themselves on a victims property in other ways and successfully sued them. Setting a trap like this would definitely put you on the wrong side of the law.

My luck would be I wire up a stun gun in my truck and the thief's heart stops when they get zapped. But before I get back to my truck and can dispose of the scum somebody sees them slumped over and calls 911.

Just put a throwaway saturday night special in their hand, and say they shot first.

72LB 05-17-2017 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46stude (Post 7944636)
So, to all you guys posting pics of guns & dogs:
When your truck is at the store, or a hotel, or anywhere other than home.... how does y'alls "theft deterrent" work? You leave the dog in the truck overnight? Set the gun on the dash? I'm just not seeing how the "deterrent" part works anywhere you're not at.

Pretty sure the point of this post wasn't about guns or guard dogs. LOL

I did it just to be funny but this is what I put on all my vehicles.

In The Ten Ring 05-17-2017 08:12 AM

I'm a proponent of being armed at all times where legal but "brandishing" is a real thing and so are the arrests and convictions it can lead to.

Also, leaving anything of value visible in a vehicle is a great way to get a window broken and that stolen and guns have more value on the street than the newest and best Iphone.

Stickers advertising gun ownership is also a great way to get a vehicle broken into or if one is really lucky, followed home and their house broken into later.

I am going with fuel cutoff, coil isolation, gear shifter removal, brake jack, and chaining rear axle to things. GPS following sounds good also.

Zone47 05-18-2017 09:37 PM

I bought a fuel shutoff switch that you install inline to the low pressure line. You can install a remote switch to turn it on or off. I got it from JC Whitneys a long time ago and it was actually well made.

rsgt 05-19-2017 01:31 PM

So far I have installed locking vent window handles, made some slim jim gaurds, so you can't unlock the door with a slim jim. I hooked up my hei to a relay with a hidden switch, I modified the hood latch so you probably couldn't open the hood unless I showed you how and modified my hei so it will not start with a jumper wire. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it from being towed. Anyway I feel good about using it.

el_fantasma 05-19-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsgt (Post 7946748)
, I modified the hood latch so you probably couldn't open the hood unless I showed you how

I have a battery cut off that works off a FOB which is cool but easy to remove by popping the hood. Can you share what you did d to your hood latch? I promise I'm no where near Arkansas.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-19-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsgt (Post 7946748)
So far I have installed locking vent window handles, made some slim jim gaurds, so you can't unlock the door with a slim jim. I hooked up my hei to a relay with a hidden switch, I modified the hood latch so you probably couldn't open the hood unless I showed you how and modified my hei so it will not start with a jumper wire. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it from being towed. Anyway I feel good about using it.

The PO of my '71 4x4 Jimmy, removed the door lock buttons and relay rods. He lived in urban LA. He and his wife had door keys, and when picking up one or the other, they used the key to unlock and open the door. They can't slim jim on what's not there.
I restored the door locks to original configuration about 18 years ago with parts from Jerry Moss, and Blue buttons from Brothers.

abig84 05-20-2017 10:17 AM

all my old trucks ive always had a kill switch disabling the distributor or power wire to the coil. my thought is that if they actually peel the ignition it will just crank and not start and they will just think its a old piece of crap that wont start and move on.

FleetsidePaul 05-20-2017 12:39 PM

I call my Mom.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...4724483960.jpg

mike16 05-20-2017 01:10 PM

a chinese fire drill routine to start my truck prevents most from steeling it. plus... its a three on the column. no lil punk a@# Bi%^& knows how to drive one of those,

the 1911 is a good deterent too

toolboxchev 05-20-2017 01:43 PM

Dirty Socks, Streaked underwear, and open a few condom packs and leave it laying around on the seat!!! Add empty MD 20/20 bottles for good measure...

5567Cruiser 05-20-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike16 (Post 7947409)
a chinese fire drill routine to start my truck prevents most from steeling it. plus... its a three on the column. no lil punk a@# Bi%^& knows how to drive one of those,

the 1911 is a good deterent too

In our area they have been using roll backs with winch so the best deterrent is don't let the truck out of your sight.