The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Protrash Re-hash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342934)

jchav62 08-18-2009 06:24 PM

Re: Protrash Re-hash

I was born and raised in Henderson, NV, just outside of Las Vegas, not much cooler than Phoenix. I built my '62 there, mostly in the summer of 2001. Almost died a few times it was sooo hot. I was an impatient SOB. Then I moved here to NM, got an office job...really softened me up. If it's above 90 degrees, I can hardly hang... I have to stay inside by the fan.. :lol:

shrunken66stroker 08-18-2009 08:46 PM

One word Joe, SOFT. I'm out there everyday sweatin my a$$ off and wrenchin. I've lost ten pounds since summer started. That 9-5 office job has a hold on you. Maybe I'm a little bit jealous....I do love the AC.

protrash64 08-18-2009 09:07 PM

I have kinda been remembering Alan's motto that 'one thing done is progress'.
The heat beats the hell out of ya. I was on a tile roof til 200pm on Monday laying an array and was just completely drained. Keep in mind that to get it to work efficiently it faces south and west.......:devil: My feet feel like they're on fire by the end of the day.
I will try to get some stuff done, and I appreciate the sympathy:lol:

Thanx for the tip on the orbital, daverod. I have done the whole truck by hand so far except for the front clip.

ruffrida2005 08-18-2009 10:06 PM

You guys dont know what heat is! Try doing 130 in the shade wearing 75lbs of body armor.

Now get to work on your trucks!

protrash64 08-18-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3472191)
You guys dont know what heat is! Try doing 130 in the shade wearing 75lbs of body armor.

Trust me ruff, Ive thought about that more than once....I think I mite take my chances with out the armour:lol:.

jchav62 08-19-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3472191)

Good point! We're a bunch of sissys... Thanks for what you do man...

Hey Greg... Soft is right! But I didn't used to be. I worked in the field almost 10 years with an NDOT survey crew... When it was a 110 degrees, standing on top of black top with traffic going by you, it seems more like 125... :lol: This job did make me soft.. OH whell... I'm still getting trucks built.:chevy::chevy:

daverod 08-19-2009 08:46 AM

Ya, but Ruff all you guy's where doing is sitting in the shade. :ito:He's sanding.:lol: Really though, thanks for keeping us safe.

MacAttack 08-19-2009 09:24 AM

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:...ngton-pier.jpgIt may hit 78 here today. ;)

Strodder 08-19-2009 10:00 AM

It's been in the high 90's here. But with low humidity it doesn't seem that hot. I've been working, and not even sweating. At night it goes down to the high 60's. When I lived in Vegas there was no relief at night. While we were moving back to California, and packing the U Haul Truck it was 125 degree's, and at 10pm it was 108. We couldn't get out of Vegas fast enough. :devil:

daverod 08-19-2009 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It was 40 here this morning. Brrrrrrrr.

Strodder 08-19-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3472859)
It was 40 here this morning. Brrrrrrrr.

It's supposed to be SUMMER. How cold does is it get in the winter?

daverod 08-19-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3472870)
It's supposed to be SUMMER. How cold does is it get in the winter?

0 to 15 is common. Couple times -50 at our cabin . Trucks don't start very good then. Have to build a fire under them.:devil:

MacAttack 08-19-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchav62 (Post 3471693)
I was born and raised in Henderson, NV, just outside of Las Vegas, not much cooler than Phoenix.

Henderson, isn't that where the Pacific Engineering Production Company used to be?:lol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_mushroom.jpg

Mac. ;)

jchav62 08-19-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3473189)
Henderson, isn't that where the Pacific Engineering Production Company used to be?:lol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_mushroom.jpg

Mac. ;)

Yeah...don't bring that blast up. I was 13 years old and it ruined me... I haven't slept right since... j/k

May 4, 1988... I was in the pizza line at lunch at Brown Junior High School... I remember it well. My Dad actually worked about a mile away at a lime plant when the blast happened. Scary stuff for a youngan...

FRENCHBLUE72 08-19-2009 07:43 PM

Truck is moving along nicely

ruffrida2005 08-19-2009 08:35 PM

I'm just messing with you guys, I'm not even in Iraq right now. Hottest I've seen was 160+ in Kuwait in August. Hot and Humid. So get back to work

shrunken66stroker 08-19-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchav62 (Post 3473363)
Yeah...don't bring that blast up. I was 13 years old and it ruined me... I haven't slept right since... j/k

May 4, 1988... I was in the pizza line at lunch at Brown Junior High School... I remember it well. My Dad actually worked about a mile away at a lime plant when the blast happened. Scary stuff for a youngan...

I was just across town Joe. We evacuated and when we got outside we saw that mushroom cloud. I was sure the Russians had just bombed Vegas and we were done for. Too much cold war, Russian, Commie talk from my Grandpa during my childhood I guess.

ruffrida2005 08-19-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3473967)
I was just across town Joe. We evacuated and when we got outside we saw that mushroom cloud. I was sure the Russians had just bombed Vegas and we were done for. Too much cold war, Russian, Commie talk from my Grandpa during my childhood I guess.

I think someone watched Red Dawn too many times!!:metal:

shrunken66stroker 08-19-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3473978)
I think someone watched Red Dawn too many times!!:metal:

I wasn't even 10 when that movie came out and I don't think I've even seen the whole thing. Maybe my Grandpa was a closet Red Dawn lover. All I know is I was 13 and ran outside my classroom to see a mushroom cloud in the sky after all of the ceiling tiles just fell on my head from a shock wave. I was feeling lucky that there wasn't $hit in my pants. My school was about 5 or 6 miles away from the epicenter.

jchav62 08-20-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474278)
I wasn't even 10 when that movie came out and I don't think I've even seen the whole thing. Maybe my Grandpa was a closet Red Dawn lover. All I know is I was 13 and ran outside my classroom to see a mushroom cloud in the sky after all of the ceiling tiles just fell on my head from a shock wave. I was feeling lucky that there wasn't $hit in my pants. My school was about 5 or 6 miles away from the epicenter.

My school was on the other side of town, but when the blast hit you could swear it was right outside. Henderson's pretty much (well it used to be) an industrial town founded on plants and factories. My Dad worked at a lime plant in the BMI complex (where all the plants were). When we got evacuated, we all ran outside, and from where my school was it looked like the whole BMI complex was up in flames. I thought my Dad was a goner. The tears were flowing! PEPCON was about a mile or two outside of the BMI complex, but the flames :devil:and smoke clouds were so huge it looked like all the plants were on fire...

Anyhow, enough Henderson history...back to the Re-hash.. :chevy:

protrash64 12-25-2009 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Still been working on this for awhile...just no updates as sanding dust isnt that interesting. I'm done with the bed and doors and had to improve my headlites. I used aftermarket lites as headlamps and they werent bright enough. I have been scratching my head over this for years, but I finally went ahead and tried to put 5x7 S10 headlites in my grill support and destroyed it. I picked up one for cheap that somebody else had destroyed with a front roll pan and now I have to section them together. I finally have it figured out and need to wait to get some bolts at the hardware store.

Anyway, here are some pics.......it was a good X-mas working on the truck.

joe231 12-25-2009 11:56 PM

:metal:

TimE 12-26-2009 12:27 PM

Keep on "truckin"...:metal:

shrunken66stroker 12-26-2009 05:19 PM

I can't sit idle if you're doing an update, Jeff. Now I'm going to have to take some pics and get the shrunken rig back up to the top with you. I agree, sanding dust isn't too exciting but it's necessary if your rig is going to be straight. I've got a lot of blocking to do in the near future. I'm actually looking forward to it.

protrash64 12-26-2009 05:26 PM

Thanx man!!! Sanding can be a good way to wear yourself out:lol:... I've got this head lite thing figured out and just need to assemble it and do some welding.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all in black primer...then once more around the truck and it will be ready for some paint. It'll still take awhile.....:smoke: