The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1970 SWB : Porterbuilt to the Extreme "Double E" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533854)

mikeleeshields 10-08-2013 11:39 PM

Re: My first C10 build, can't wait.

Any fellow ohio members wanna help put this fine equipment on lol.

And yes I was quite happy when I pulled in the driveway today

Valhalla 10-09-2013 01:15 AM

Great Progress I am gonna keep my eye on this one!

Are you painting it in that garage ? Looks too clean to have been painted in.

mikeleeshields 10-09-2013 11:10 AM

I already am taking friday off of work to get started on the fun stuff.

PBFAB.COM 10-09-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeleeshields (Post 6306275)
As everyone says Christmas came early. I didn't know santa's real name was Nate Porter. Lol. I wanted to state how good the quality of these parts really are. The welds are perfect.

Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Good thing you weren't on the Naughty list... would've been an even longer wait. ;)

Bennett68C10 10-09-2013 06:16 PM

Nice, congrats on all the Porterbuilt gear

Xeen 10-09-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6307231)
Good thing you weren't on the Naughty list... would've been an even longer wait. ;)

Remind me never to get on Santas, err I mean your bad side. :lol:

mikeleeshields 10-09-2013 09:56 PM

Holy crap Santa, I mean Nate. I was beginning to think I was on the naughty list lol. Oh we'll the wait was worth it. Oh and the tshirt made it all better.

I started scotchbriting the sheet metal tonight. Hope to spray some epoxy primer on this weekend. When I paint the parts would you suggest not getting the paint inside the bushing openings?

PBFAB.COM 10-09-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeleeshields (Post 6307668)
Holy crap Santa, I mean Nate. I was beginning to think I was on the naughty list lol. Oh we'll the wait was worth it. Oh and the tshirt made it all better.

I started scotchbriting the sheet metal tonight. Hope to spray some epoxy primer on this weekend. When I paint the parts would you suggest not getting the paint inside the bushing openings?

Correct, no paint inside the area where the bushings go.

Nate

mikeleeshields 10-09-2013 10:03 PM

One more question. Do I need to press them in or should they slide in with some grease and a little help

PBFAB.COM 10-10-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeleeshields (Post 6307677)
One more question. Do I need to press them in or should they slide in with some grease and a little help

The bushings will not need to be pressed in, they will go with a little bit of elbow grease.

On the upper control arms, make sure the bushings go in to the shoulder before you start tightening the nuts. If they don't fully seat and you start tightening the nuts to try and force them in, there is the chance of tweaking the arms.

Ball joints will press in place.

Nate

mikeleeshields 10-10-2013 06:11 AM

Thanks Nate. I am gonna start fitting up tommorrow. I'm sure it won't be the last time we talk haha

mikeleeshields 10-14-2013 04:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I spent the weekend working on the Porterbuilt parts, schotchbriting, cleaning, priming, painting, damn that is a lot of prep work.

Finally got them done and started installing about 10 o'clock Saturday evening and finished up on Sunday. Ran into a snag with the ball joints. Got the wrong ones and I can't mount my spindles. Dave and Nate is going to make it right by sending the correct ones, thanks guys.

So far so good I think.

Xeen 10-14-2013 11:19 PM

Very nice, that red really pops, I can't wait to see the rolling chassis.

Ghostryder79 10-15-2013 01:09 AM

This is going to be sweet...and make mine look poor...but wow. nice work!

mikeleeshields 10-15-2013 06:23 AM

Thanks guys. It is going together pretty nice. I am waiting on my transmission now so I can mock up the drivetrain for the rearend.

mcbassin 10-15-2013 10:02 AM

I'm digging the red suspension parts. Looks super cool!

mikeleeshields 10-16-2013 12:33 PM

I wanted to thank Dave and Nate for shipping out new ball joints for the front end. They should arrive Friday and I should be able to button up the front end of this beast. I have to paint the notches black this weekend so that I can start the rear setup. I am trying to have a rolling chassis before the lovely Ohio weather makes a change for the worse.

Bennett68C10 10-16-2013 03:37 PM

The Red looks great on the suspension parts. What did you use for paint?. I thought about painting mine the same but in the end just went with satin black. After seeing yours I wish I would have stuck with it.

mikeleeshields 10-16-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6318291)
The Red looks great on the suspension parts. What did you use for paint?. I thought about painting mine the same but in the end just went with satin black. After seeing yours I wish I would have stuck with it.

Thanks. I hesitated and even bought a gallon of chassis black last week, still unsure if i wanted to paint the parts red. I am glad I did, it does break up the black and really pops.

I used Eastwood "Pinup Red" It appeared to be the brightest red they had.

mikeleeshields 10-16-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeleeshields (Post 6318336)
Thanks. I hesitated and even bought a gallon of chassis black last week, still unsure if i wanted to paint the parts red. I am glad I did, it does break up the black and really pops.

I used Eastwood "Pinup Red" It appeared to be the brightest red they had.

I see you changed your rendering to Blue. Why the change?

mikeleeshields 10-16-2013 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the rear notch mocked up tonight and all the holes drilled.

Yet another step closer to a rolling chassis.

Bennett68C10 10-16-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeleeshields (Post 6318337)
I see you changed your rendering to Blue. Why the change?

No reason just got bored lol. Haven't worked on the truck in two months so I needed something to do, hoping to get back on it this weekend. Need to get it moved to my house so I can really start to put some time into it.

mikeleeshields 10-16-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6318856)
No reason just got bored lol. Haven't worked on the truck in two months so I needed something to do, hoping to get back on it this weekend. Need to get it moved to my house so I can really start to put some time into it.

I hear ya. I like the blue. That looks like the same color Foose just painted the 67 he had on Overhauling this week. So sweet

Xeen 10-17-2013 01:47 AM

You are moving along and a good pace you will have a rolling chassis by the end of the week if you keep it up.
That is more than a rear crossmember it's a work of art, I really admire Porterbuilt design.

mikeleeshields 10-17-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6319201)
You are moving along and a good pace you will have a rolling chassis by the end of the week if you keep it up.
That is more than a rear crossmember it's a work of art, I really admire Porterbuilt design.

That is no joke. They do really good work over there in Arizona. I am very pleased so far.