The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=640843)

SCOTI 01-15-2015 01:46 PM

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

For the actual lighting, I'm switching to small matchbook size 5w LED panels. I picked-up 2 (1 for the center, 1 for the rear) but after connecting & checking the light output @ the center, I felt it needed more. I spliced the 2 LED panels together & set it up that way. This improved the light output to what I felt would work well. I'm going back today to get 2 more for the rear light. Although not cheap, they aren't crazy expensive ($20ea). The thing I like is they don't generate the intense heat standard filament bulbs do.

I'll get some pics of the LED panels & post them up tonight after I set-up the rear light housing for the swap.

SCOTI 02-16-2015 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Let's see.... it's been a busy couple of weeks but it's the usual 1-step foward, 2-step back approach.

I now have a new vacuum brake pedal swapped in under the dash vs the old hydraboost pedal. Still need to get another master cylinder on & bleed the brakes again. Other mechanical items to address are the alignment & resetting the timing since the distributor was pulled a while back when the oil psi switch & fuel pump failed.

I got the seat tracks all cleaned up w/some rattle can satin black on them. Then I installed the air ride paddle valves into their respective panels after getting the panels in color w/some satin black. Once everything was dry, I installed the tracks, paddle valves, & finally the seat bottoms Sat night. My buddy is still sewing the seat backs.

Been working on other interior related stuff too.... all new power window motors (while the door panels were off). Cleaning the seat belt plastic covers (still need to blast the belts @ the car wash). Worked on the console restoration Sat night & yesterday. Got the outside in color & tonight I'll refinish the inside surfaces. It's no show truck but looks much better than it was.

My buddy worked on polishing up some stainless pieces for me while I was prepping the interior pieces. I got 6 new tires for it on Friday (sticking w/16's). The bed floor & inner surfaces have been gone over w/the DA. Still need to do some corner work, get some satin black in a few areas, get the tubs reinstalled, & seam seal it.... Then the Line-X.

Pedal....

SCOTI 02-16-2015 07:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Seat stuff. No airlines visible.....

lolife99 02-16-2015 08:42 PM

Great update.
It's all in the details.

Hankster 02-16-2015 09:08 PM

Man, Them seats are gonna look good.

aggie91 02-17-2015 01:21 PM

Anything done on the truck is progress. Seat bottoms look good!

Can you get a picture of where you are mounting the paddle switches?

Low Elco 02-17-2015 01:48 PM

******n'. Better hurry, LST is comin' up fast!

SCOTI 02-17-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7052923)
******n'. Better hurry, LST is comin' up fast!

Yeah.... Almost too fast for the 1 man show.

SCOTI 02-19-2015 01:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Console finished. Turned out nice & looks better in person....

SCOTI 02-19-2015 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last shot....

Low Elco 02-19-2015 02:00 PM

Very pretty! When you rollin' out?

SCOTI 02-19-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7056309)
Very pretty! When you rollin' out?

Uhmm.... Looks like it might be Tx HeatWave 2015 LoL.

I plan to hit the LST show but since it's now Thursday; I don't leave work until 5-ish; work Friday; the seats aren't done; brakes still haven't been re-bled; no alignment yet; & no continuous local driving for shakedown issues.... a 4hr drive isn't in the cards (not for lack of trying).

Add to that there's supposed to be some rain the the forecast beginning tomorrow. So, I'll hit the road in my 90 & assume my standard role of spectator.

68Timber 02-19-2015 02:22 PM

Very nice! Is that a repop stainless trim ring on the console? It looks new.

SCOTI 02-19-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7056352)
Very nice! Is that a repop stainless trim ring on the console? It looks new.

OEM. Straightend out the few relatively mild bends on the ring & flattened the retaining tabs. Cleaned a few rough spots (slight pitting) w/some 400 & Windex. Then it was lots of scrubbing using 0000 steel wool & the edge of a paint stir stick.

Since the trim ring turned out nicer than anticipated, I added the stainless hardware & did some rattle can bed-liner for the interior surfaces to add a little more detail.

Jonboy 02-19-2015 04:37 PM

console looks excellent! Wanna do a couple more?

BigMike608 02-20-2015 09:52 AM

console is very nice!

aggie91 02-20-2015 10:28 AM

Looks good Scoti, We are missing out on LST again this year, work has me headed to Milwaukee for a week and I leave out Sunday. Just too much for one weekend.

D.FENS 03-04-2015 09:51 AM

Most people want to add hydroboost, you deleted it.

Was it one of those the simpler it is, the better it works things?

SCOTI 03-04-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.FENS (Post 7075555)
Most people want to add hydroboost, you deleted it.

Was it one of those the simpler it is, the better it works things?

More about the clutter. The 'clean' looking kits are expensive. Mine was leaking everywhere & had no reserve if the motor shut-off so everything needed replacing. It was much cheaper to go vacuum & they can be cleaned up nicely w/o spending a wad of cash.

I 100% agree Hydraboost is the way to go for max braking effort. But, I only plan to haul me & possibly some buddies around from time to time. Max load will be my open single car hauler beind it so the HD vacuum set-up will get it done.

D.FENS 03-04-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7075772)
More about the clutter. The 'clean' looking kits are expensive. Mine was leaking everywhere & had no reserve if the motor shut-off so everything needed replacing. It was much cheaper to go vacuum & they can be cleaned up nicely w/o spending a wad of cash.

I 100% agree Hydraboost is the way to go for max braking effort. But, I only plan to haul me & possibly some buddies around from time to time. Max load will be my open single car hauler beind it so the HD vacuum set-up will get it done.

In the same boat myself, and was looking for a way forward. Thanks.

slimneverdies 03-04-2015 03:40 PM

I've heard this statement before about hydroboost "had no reserve if the motor shut-off" issues. Whats the difference with vacuum when the motor shuts off??

SCOTI 03-04-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimneverdies (Post 7075966)
I've heard this statement before about hydroboost "had no reserve if the motor shut-off" issues. Whats the difference with vacuum when the motor shuts off??

Both systems should have a 'reserve' that allows 1-2 more brake applications before they no longer provide additional boost.

For vacuum app's, if the booster diaphragm (the reserve) goes bad you typically know because the pedal gets rock hard (even with the motor running). For hydraulic apps, the hydraulic reserve reservior can leak internally which allows bleeding the pressure back into the hydraulic system (back to the pwr steering pump). You don't notice this UNTIL the motor is no longer running & then you notice it real fast!

I learned this tid-bit of info after exiting the highway to get gas & the truck died on the ramp. I hit the brake pedal & it was like I wasn't using brakes @ all. To be fair, it was more than just this as the truck had ZERO rear braking so I was relying on just the 2 front rotors to stop 5500lbs @ 50+mph. At the time I didn't know the rear brakes were non-functional (which is odd given it had recently been inspected). Lets just say I went through a 4-way stop @ still about 20mph. I was super lucky traffic was very light.....

gearheads78 03-06-2015 01:17 AM

Looking good man

SCOTI 03-08-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheads78 (Post 7078289)
Looking good man

Thank you sir. Your's up & going or still sorting through stuff?

gearheads78 03-09-2015 09:58 PM

Trying to organize and clean up the shop to increase productivity. Sick and tired of working in a cluster f@#%. Also just changed my bother in laws clutch on the floor last week. Granny 4 speed. I'm getting too old to do that crap on the ground like I used to. Lift is going up too.