The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My long term 57 project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=334552)

jimig1 05-22-2011 09:47 PM

Re: My long term 57 project

Very nice '55 I like the color

Kim57 05-23-2011 12:14 AM

Nice looking 55.
Kim

ChuckDriver 05-24-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 4694372)
Super nice, I've always liked the sedans over the hardtops. What's the engine, trans setup?

It's got a newly rebuilt 350 with Edelbrock heads, airgap intake and a big Holley carb, a Comp Thumper cam and roller rockers. The trans is a 350Th with a B&M Holeshoot 2500 stall converter.

The exhaust is all stainless, except the 40 series flowmasters. And it's LOUD!

The cam is to much for my taste, already thinking of swapping it out, and probably changing the Flows to 50's.

Already put 100+ miles on it this past weekend and it ran perfectly!

Rods57 07-09-2011 12:55 PM

Its crazy how many of us have the sedan and the truck, just like the chips you cant just have one...

Nice looking pair.

ChuckDriver 07-09-2011 07:17 PM

Thanks Rod! I'm loving the '55. Driving it a couple a times a week, always puts a big smile on my face!

solidaxel 07-14-2011 12:44 AM

Great jobyou have done on your 57!!

It has been 34 years since I had a 57 but it was the orginal "custom delux" you sure put the "CUSTOM" back into your Chevy.
You will LOVE that ZZ-4 and AOD, it is the perfect combination for these trucks.
Looks like you have enough rubber on the ground.
What gear do you have in the rear, I may have missed that.

Tell me how the mono spring does under acceleration with that size rear tire?

I am thinking I need something wider than a 255.

JML55 07-14-2011 07:12 AM

Nice 55 like the color too.

Kabwe 07-14-2011 09:07 AM

I see you finally join the club and got that truck a sibling.lol It looks great and it as belaire trim is it a true belaire post? Because they did have belaire sedans. Any congrats to you I sure your smiling ear to ear.

kustombrad 07-16-2011 01:03 PM

Yo Chuck! I just finished up looking at your build and all I can say is very nice! You did stuff right, kept it clean and didn't rush anything! You've made lots of cool comments on my build but after seeing yours, I have to tip my hat to you! Very, very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

candyx 07-16-2011 03:54 PM

Nice 55 ,you have the perfect set now!!!

Dan in Pasadena 07-21-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 4640527)
Thank guys for the comments and glad you like the truck!

Dan: I wish I could remember who made the rear sping kit, I have not seen it for sale anywhere since I bought it. Maybe I should try to reproduce it? It gives the truck a nice stance and a good ride....

Hey JJ,
I THINK I found a kit to do what you did with your rearend:

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/produ...productID/1045

Obviously this is for a car (you didn't use it, did you?) but I thought I'd post it here since I just happened upon it last night.

ChuckDriver 07-21-2011 01:10 PM

Dan, No this is not what I used for my truck. Like you said its designed for the car frame, not our trucks but with some creative engineering it might work?!

ChuckDriver 08-07-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 4695016)
Nice looking 55.
Kim

Thanks!

ChuckDriver 08-07-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 4789328)
Great jobyou have done on your 57!!

It has been 34 years since I had a 57 but it was the orginal "custom delux" you sure put the "CUSTOM" back into your Chevy.
You will LOVE that ZZ-4 and AOD, it is the perfect combination for these trucks.
Looks like you have enough rubber on the ground.
What gear do you have in the rear, I may have missed that.

Tell me how the mono spring does under acceleration with that size rear tire?

I am thinking I need something wider than a 255.

I've got a 373 gears with a TruTrack posi. It works perfect. I have no problem with the mono leafs under acceleration. The ZZ4 has so much power and the way the trans is setup it will spin, not just chirp, but spin the tires when it shifts into 2nd if you have your foot in it!!

The rear tires are 285/60x16.

It now criuses great at 70 mph pulling only 2100 rpm!

ChuckDriver 08-07-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustombrad (Post 4793370)
Yo Chuck! I just finished up looking at your build and all I can say is very nice! You did stuff right, kept it clean and didn't rush anything! You've made lots of cool comments on my build but after seeing yours, I have to tip my hat to you! Very, very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I love how cool your truck has turned out also! You've done some great work, thanks for sharing it with us all!!

ChuckDriver 08-07-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyx (Post 4793530)
Nice 55 ,you have the perfect set now!!!

Thanks, may have to paint the truck Blue someday!

Coupeguy2001 09-06-2011 04:28 PM

okay I did basically the same front frame mod as you, except I used a G body frame, and mine is 2" lower than yours. I would like to raise mine up a bit. Did you use big block front springs or small block springs?

ChuckDriver 09-06-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 (Post 4885048)
okay I did basically the same front frame mod as you, except I used a G body frame, and mine is 2" lower than yours. I would like to raise mine up a bit. Did you use big block front springs or small block springs?

I used the springs from a 77 Trans Am, with one full coil cut from them. I guess you might call them "big block" springs as the T/A had the 6.6 in it.

Did you cut your springs?

Thanks!

Coupeguy2001 09-06-2011 10:39 PM

I did not cut the springs. I ordered a subframe from Kimbridge, and bought new springs for a 86 Buick Regal with a olds 305..... The truck settles down about 4 inches, and I would like it to go 2 inches. I have 5 1/2 inches total suspension travel. I know it would look better up just a little. Alignment would be a little better as well.
Adjustments, adjustments, adjustments.
My plan at this point is to install a different engine (1989 corvette) that has a lightened flywheel, 10 inch clutch, aluminum bell housing, aluminum heads, and aluminum water pump, mini starter, with an aluminum radiator. That should take about 140 pounds off the nose. Since I have the engine and everything that goes with it, I will try that first.
I am using the corvette 4+3 stick overdrive trans and my original long bed driveshaft fits perfectly as the engine is at the original height, but forward 3 inches. It currently has a '78 4 bolt 350 with the 92 firebird cast iron heads and firebird cast iron water pump. I'm using a 92 firebird serpentine setup.

I will finish these mods before I start messing with the springs. The last resort is to install 3 inch lift S-10 spindles.

ChuckDriver 09-09-2011 10:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Dan, these pics might help show how I installed the tank.

Rods57 09-09-2011 11:34 PM

Looks great, what did you use for mufflers? trying to decide what to get, anyone use cherry bombs?

ChuckDriver 09-10-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 4891240)
Looks great, what did you use for mufflers? trying to decide what to get, anyone use cherry bombs?

Howdy Rod, they are Flowmaster Super 40's. They have a nice sound to them. They have a drone to them around 2800 RPM, but now that I have the overdrive trans they are much more quiet at highways speeds.

Shanehenrymusic 09-11-2011 07:41 PM

I'm super impressed with how great the camaro clip looks.. Can you tell me what year camaro the clip came off of? I wonder if there is a tutorial showing how this was installed to look so factory... awesome truck! Thanks - Shane

ChuckDriver 09-12-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanehenrymusic (Post 4894101)
I'm super impressed with how great the camaro clip looks.. Can you tell me what year camaro the clip came off of? I wonder if there is a tutorial showing how this was installed to look so factory... awesome truck! Thanks - Shane

It's from a 77 Camaro and I had it done for me. I think No-Limit Engineering has a video showing how they do it. Some have said it has helped them. There is also a very long thread on the HAMB that details it also. Best of luck with your project!

1959Chev 12-09-2011 12:01 PM

Chuck guess I never noticed at first but why did you put stand-offs on the engine mounts?

el_bole 12-09-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 3219227)
Here are a few pic's of the rear suspension. I want to run a wider tire and rim than stock and keep them tucked under the fenders. I saw an article in Classic Trucks a few years ago for a mono-leaf kit that I think fits the bill perfectly. It's been so long ago when I bought it that I don't remember who I bought it from. I do have nearly 10 years worth of magazines that I would have to look through to find the article. Maybe someone here will recognize it!
It was very easy to install and came with everything needed to put it in.

The rear is from a 69 chevy car and it's a 12 bolt. I've since had it shortened by Moser who also added a 373 gear with a Tru-Trac Posi. It also now has Ford big bearing axle ends and faxles.

I also put a big brake kit on it from Master Power brakes. And ran SS brake lines.

Here are the pic's!!

JJ

Chuckdriver,

What exactly does the MONO leaf Kit do for your suspension? Is it strictly to lower the rear or something else...Im looking to lower my truck..

Truck is looking good by the way!

Thanks,
el_bole

ChuckDriver 12-11-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1959Chev (Post 5056267)
Chuck guess I never noticed at first but why did you put stand-offs on the engine mounts?

The stand-offs were done to move the enigine higher up in the engine bay. The way the sub was installed if you use the stock mounts the engine sits to low. I've seen some that have not been raised and the engine seems lost done in a hole in my opinion, so it's just a personal preference.

Good luck with your build!

ChuckDriver 12-11-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_bole (Post 5056485)
Chuckdriver,

What exactly does the MONO leaf Kit do for your suspension? Is it strictly to lower the rear or something else...Im looking to lower my truck..

Truck is looking good by the way!

Thanks,
el_bole

The mono leaf kit I used did 2 things for me. One, it did lower the rear quite bit, how much I'm not sure as I've never measured it against a stock truck. And two, it moved the leaf under the frame rail so I can run a much wider rim and tire.

Hope this answered your questions!

el_bole 12-11-2011 01:44 PM

Chuckdriver,

Thanks for the info, I might run a wider tire when the money tree permits...so I may do the same...

Keep up the great work...

el_bole:chevy:

bitbitn 12-19-2011 03:25 AM

Good looking truck!!!!!!!

ChuckDriver 12-19-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitbitn (Post 5072312)
Good looking truck!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

robozride 12-25-2011 11:12 AM

Chuck, ireally like the way your truck is coming out. I noticed that you dont have a c-notch in the back... how much clearence do you have between the top of the rear and bottom of the frame? does it ever hit? do you have any kind of bump stop? thanks in advance for the info!

bitbitn 12-26-2011 05:11 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, well between the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame there is six inches. Right now there is still bar stock welded to keep the rear end from moving from where I set it. I’m not sure if I will use air bags or coil overs, before It’s over I might change the for link bars to all Johnny joint bars. Not really sure yet, I just got these bar system tacked in to see how I liked it there is no bump stops yet.

ChuckDriver 12-26-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robozride (Post 5082680)
Chuck, ireally like the way your truck is coming out. I noticed that you dont have a c-notch in the back... how much clearence do you have between the top of the rear and bottom of the frame? does it ever hit? do you have any kind of bump stop? thanks in advance for the info!

I've measured it before, both don't remember the exact distance. I would have to say it only about 2.5 inches. I do have a small bump stop for when it does bottom out. It dosen't happen very often.

Thanks!

Handfull 54 02-08-2012 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful job on your truck. I used some similar wheel tubs from a 72 truck. I used some self adhesive foram weather strip from Loews to put between the bed rail and the fenderwell to keep the dust out. Not quite finished with the tail gate yet. Just my 2 cents worth. Keep up the good work.

ChuckDriver 02-08-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handfull 54 (Post 5174175)
Beautiful job on your truck. I used some similar wheel tubs from a 72 truck. I used some self adhesive foram weather strip from Loews to put between the bed rail and the fenderwell to keep the dust out. Not quite finished with the tail gate yet. Just my 2 cents worth. Keep up the good work.

I like 'em! I plan to work on my tubs this week! Thanks!!

spikes59 02-19-2012 11:38 PM

Hi Chuck, thanks for the great detail on your 59 dash, I would not have atempted the dash project without your step by step guide.I have a question about your transmission cooler,is the one on the trans bracket the only one needed.I have a new radiator but it is for a manual transmission with no transmisson cooler lines,is the small cooler down under enought to cool a 700r4. thanks again,mike

ChuckDriver 02-20-2012 10:26 AM

Mike, (spikes59) I went with the smaller trans cooler on the advice of several of the local streetrod builders. As far as I can tell it works fine, but I am still considering changing it to a larger one in front of the radiator, or using the one from B&M that has an electic fan mounted to it. Looking at the blower motor you have in yours I would think bigger would be better insurance!

Love what you'e done with your 59!

spikes59 02-20-2012 10:13 PM

Thanks for the help.I should have cab and doors painted in 2 weeks. I will have some more questions then.Mike

spikes59 02-28-2012 06:39 PM

Hi Chuckdriver, question about your guages,what style are yours, Im looking at classic instraments All American Nickel series.what do you think,would they look good with my snakeskin green paint. Any other gauges i should consider, any input or ideas would help thanks Mike,spikes59.