The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Possmguts 06-24-2016 08:59 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Hey bud... the holes in the fire wall for the vintage air... is that a panel or do you have to drill those? Thanks

Vic1947 06-24-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7634538)
You gotta love body/frame/mechanical shops... they really have a different outlook on things..

Ain't that the truth!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7634592)
Hey bud... the holes in the fire wall for the vintage air... is that a panel or do you have to drill those? Thanks

Mine is a panel that came with the kit and the holes were predrilled. If I'd started with a blank sheet of material, I might have relocated them, although you run the risk that the lines to the evaporator may not work as well.

Vic1947 07-03-2016 04:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm past ready to get going with the LS3 install, so even though the frame isn't 100% just yet, I decided to mock up some stuff and just see how it all might fit... just in case the frame ever gets fixed. ;)

I needed some help getting the trans out of the shipping container and attached to the engine, so I called Scott and he was at the house before I could hang the phone up. Together we rassled the trans into position and dropped the assembly between the frame rails. I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything cleared all the obstructions and the Caddy oil pan doesn't hang below the front crossmember. The CPP sheetmetal towers and their adjustable motor mounts took some finessing to get into position, but I think once the frame is tweaked back into position, I shouldn't have to massage them too much to line up with the stock holes.

I took some photos of Yeller one day when Vern dropped by, and I can tell I have my engine back about 1.5" to 2.0" from where Chip dropped theirs in. Since I plan to run an aftermarket front drive assembly, I have no need to worry about the stock A/C compressor location. My main concern at this point was to see if I could use my existing driveshaft without modifying it. I swapped out the yoke yesterday and it looks like it will fit perfectly.

Vic1947 07-03-2016 04:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The stock exhaust manifolds that come with the C&C package should work great. Normally I'd pop for headers, but I'm so over budget, I'm going to skip them for now. There are a few hiccups which is to be expected. The sheetmetal towers from CPP don't want to line up with the holes in the crossmember. Plus, the passenger side tower is lifted up off the frame rail somewhat. Hopefully, when the frame gets pulled back into position, some of the misalignment will self correct. If not, I have a BFH that will make it work.

The other thing that's a bit more unexpected is the CPP tubular transmission mount. I'm using an Energy Suspensions poly trans mount and when bolted up in the stock location, it appears that the rear of the trans is hanging down too far. I have a jack under it at the moment, and it could use a 3/4" spacer between the trans mount pad and the crossmember. Spacing it upward like that gets the transmission pan level and even with the frame rails. It also gets the driveshaft in a slightly better position where it goes thru the loop. Nothing is set in stone right now, so I'll have to measure the angles and see what's what later on.

sduckworth13 07-03-2016 06:49 PM

Glad that driveshaft is going to work out for you Vic.

jeh 07-03-2016 11:38 PM

Mock up looks good Vic, it's a shame with whole frame tweak thing going on. I bet your ready to get her on the road!!!!

Elliot949 07-04-2016 08:46 AM

Man Vic... that is looking GREAT!!!!....

snipescastle2 07-04-2016 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking great Vic! You'll be interested to know my whole alignment issue was a "Brain Fart" on my behalf....had the upper control arms swapped, right for left.
So, we'll try the alignment shop once again, this time should be a pretty quick visit! Your LS1 install looks to be a very straight forward process. Did they pre program the pcm for your engine mods, or do you have to take it somewhere for that?
Have a great 4th!!!!!
Ben
:metal::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Vic1947 07-04-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipescastle2 (Post 7643118)
Looking great Vic! You'll be interested to know my whole alignment issue was a "Brain Fart" on my behalf....had the upper control arms swapped, right for left.
So, we'll try the alignment shop once again, this time should be a pretty quick visit! Your LS1 install looks to be a very straight forward process. Did they pre program the pcm for your engine mods, or do you have to take it somewhere for that?
Have a great 4th!!!!!
Ben

Don't feel bad, Ben. I had the relay rod rotated 180 degrees on the silver truck. It aligned okay, but never really felt quite right and would scrub the tires when you turned while backing up. Sometimes that stuff happens when you buy a project in boxes or don't take enough photos. Or in my case, take the photos but don't refer to them. :dohh:

The LS setup came with a preprogrammed module and all I should have to do is hook it up. :haha: GM calls it Connect and Cruise, but there's a lot of little stuff that isn't included. However, the main components are.

Possmguts 07-04-2016 03:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snipescastle2 (Post 7643118)
Have a great 4th!!!!!
Ben

LOL... Im really glad to know Im not the only one to do that lol... was just told mine was wrong and I got it all fixed up yesterday. Before and after pic...

Vic1947 07-04-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7643384)
LOL... Im really glad to know Im not the only one to do that lol... was just told mine was wrong and I got it all fixed up yesterday. Before and after pic...

Step by step, inch by inch, looks like you're making it happen. I'm lovin' the hood and the louvered visor!!! :metal:

snipescastle2 07-04-2016 03:36 PM

It's all good! Happens, but you get back up and fix it. At least it's the cheaper
Solution than having to buy all new control arms! The money I spent on the alignment I lost, but hey! At least I got the problem solved and my tires will last
A lot longer now! Now to fix that pesky alternator charging issue....:smoke:
Have a good one!
Ben
:metal:

Possmguts 07-04-2016 04:02 PM

Thanks... I know when you get that frame issue squared away the parts will be flying and that thing you're working on will be done in like 3 days lol

mcbassin 07-05-2016 08:23 AM

New power plant looks right at in your frame Vic! Sweet!

Xeen 07-05-2016 03:19 PM

Vic when I installed the CPP sheet metal mounts they lined up perfectly, so yeah when you get your frame fixed you will be golden.

Low Elco 07-06-2016 12:35 PM

Supermatic! To be truthful, we had a 350/700r4 in Yeller before, So I was running under the assumption that the transes were ballpark the same length. So I reused the driveshaft and set everything from there. Plus, y'all have no idea how bucks-down Yeller really is. We really didn't want to cut the shaft. Irony is, 6 months later I got one for $27 from PNP. Anyway, In hindsight, the motor'd be a lot closer to the firewall if I had it to do again. Looks killer, Vic!

Vic1947 07-06-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7645089)
Supermatic! To be truthful, we had a 350/700r4 in Yeller before, So I was running under the assumption that the transes were ballpark the same length. So I reused the driveshaft and set everything from there. Plus, y'all have no idea how bucks-down Yeller really is. We really didn't want to cut the shaft. Irony is, 6 months later I got one for $27 from PNP. Anyway, In hindsight, the motor'd be a lot closer to the firewall if I had it to do again. Looks killer, Vic!

Thanks, Chip. The cool thing about Yeller is that it doesn't look like a "bucks-down" build, even though I know you spent countless hours scrounging the yards for parts. I worked for a guy who liked to say, "Anyone can smother a fire with money... takes a clever person to put one out using just their smarts." I'll end up with more in Crusty than I planned, but unloading Maybelline was the price I had to pay. When it came to setting the engine, I essentially did the same as you. Didn't want to pay to have the driveshaft modified, so the rest of the drivetrain is based off it. Lucked out and had holes in the right place for the trans crossmember, plus the motor mounts had just enough adjustment to fit the towers. Next up is dropping the cab onto the frame to check the bellhousing clearance. If it's good, I'll mark where everything sits and hope it all goes back together during final assembly.

I called Leroy's Frame Works again yesterday and he assured me he hasn't forgotten me. He mentioned he'd been in the hospital a couple of days and was still catching up.

Vic1947 07-06-2016 09:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Set the cab in place on the frame and it looks like the engine placement will be fine. Maybe move it forward 1/4", but I need to fine tune the body mounts to know for sure. The coil covers miss the firewall by about 3/8" and it looks like the HydraStop unit will clear with no issues. There's plenty of room between the tunnel and the transmission also. Can't think of much else right off hand, but if something comes up, I'll deal with it at the time.

Low Elco 07-07-2016 12:17 PM

Thanks for the props. Glad to see it all fits. I'm almost surprised you're not notching the firewall to get some of that good "racy" weight dist. They leave a nice generous pocket behind the motor, don't they?

Vic1947 07-26-2016 01:24 PM

I've made an appointment for a week from Wednesday to finally get the frame straightened. Found some nice folks in Grain Valley with the equipment and willingness to put it back right. Fingers crossed that this is the one.

Low Elco 07-26-2016 01:26 PM

Is it the Kustoms guy by I-70? Heard good things about them. Sorry Jim Didn't work out. Holler if you need to haul it.

Vic1947 07-26-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7665110)
Is it the Kustoms guy by I-70? Heard good things about them. Sorry Jim Didn't work out. Holler if you need to haul it.

Yup, Bill at Kustom Cruisers. When your dad talked to Jim, he was absolutely covered up and I don't fault him at all for putting his business first. Just glad I stumbled across these folks. When your website has a blown Chevelle, a Harley and a custom truck sitting in front of the shop, it's a good sign they're our kind of peeps.

Jason7121 07-26-2016 03:23 PM

If you don't mind me asking what diameter driveshaft are you running and steel or aluminum

Elliot949 07-26-2016 03:25 PM

Glad it is all coming together Vic... can't wait to see it rolling along again.

Vic1947 07-26-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 7665217)
If you don't mind me asking what diameter driveshaft are you running and steel or aluminum

It's 3.5" and steel. Saw some of the carbon fiber ones made by QA1 on Power Tour last month and did some serious drooling. :)