The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   !965 Chevy C-10 Take 2: Project Tanya (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=453932)

fryer1979 09-20-2012 01:23 AM

Re: !965 Chevy C-10 Take 2: Project Tanya

2 Attachment(s)
Found a picture of the exhaust tip my buddy and I made. It is our first sttempt and I guess it shows....but man that exhaust is LOUD! After this pic I spend some time trying to re-align it, so it does sit a little straighter now. I still think it came out sick for a couple rednecks letting their imaginations and welder run, :lol:.

Attachment 987307

Also, during my last run through the pick 'n pull in Sparks I came across this set of Caddy tail lights. Turns out it was a 50% off sale the day I was there, so I got the pair of tail lights for $25 total....yes all of the bulb connectors are there too. I picked them up because of the deal I got on them, but I'm really starting to lean towards some custom work on Tanya. Guess we'll see....

Attachment 987308

Oh, and we are working on a deal for a '61 cab from a guy around here that just wants his yard cleaned out.....

:smoke:

fryer1979 10-10-2012 04:17 AM

She's parked for the winter. As soon as I can get a couple small things out of the way I'll be pulling her into my shop for a tear-down. This inline engine is driving me up the wall, so it will be coming out in favor of something else. Not sure what to do yet, I have a few choices laying around: small block Chevy, small displacement Olds, and large displacement Caddy....each with usable transmissions. Not sure which to run yet, or I might find something else completely.....I do know where a sweet running 460 and C6 are...:lol: I've got a ton of other work to get done on Tanya this winter as well, so she may end up being a totally different truck by the time the snow melts away. I just hope I can stay motivated.....and of course I'll do my best to stay on top of pics.

:smoke

fryer1979 10-10-2012 04:43 AM

I just posted my winter "to do" list in that specific thread, but I figured I would go ahead and post it up here. Maybe just to keep myself motivated, but it seems like this would be a good place for it. So here it is, in no specific order:

*Install new engine and transmission; uncertain yet what to use, I have several options available.

*Rebuild and install square-body front crossmember to allow disc brakes and 3 more inches of drop.

*C-notch the rear frame, and drop the axle 2 more inches.

*Clean up and instal the junkyard sway bars I picked up a couple years ago.

*New tires for the set of slot mags I had cleaned up and surfaced, finally got them back after almost a year and a half.....

*Clean up, repaint, and detail the engine compartment so my buddy can take a second shot at his pinstriping job (his request, not mine).

*Clean out the cab, possibly repair the rust on the floors, and install carpet and hopefully a new radio.

*Install Caddy tail lights

*Hopefully paint and some more pinstriping once the weather warms up in the spring again. This one is a big maybe, not going to make or break me either way.

66-PMD-GMC 10-10-2012 10:03 AM

OK, I felt a shift in power in the force at 1:17 AM and then saw you were using the "f" word in regard to Tanya....:uhm:
Dude... seriously... step away from the 460 and dont even think about it...:mad:
Seriously.....
My vote is a 65 caddillac truck...
Pimp that old girl out in total luxury... air ride fashion...:metal:
Or you could go the small block route... never see those in the trucks, right?:m5:
:5150:

fryer1979 10-12-2012 01:33 AM

:mmmk:

Ya gotta admit though that running a Ferd big block would be unique.....of course controlled by a GM style HEI distributor and 1 wire alternator. I prefer the idea of using the Caddy 500 I have, but I guess time will tell how that turns out. There are only 3 reasons I mentioned and would consider using the SBC I have:

1. I would really like to start taking this truck out on the road and doing some long trips with it, a SBC would be the cheapest and easiest to find parts for should I break down.

2. It is a mid to late 60's block and still has the original heads on it that so many refer to as "fuelie" heads.

3. I have a perfectly good 700r4 sitting in my shop that I can use. It just need a different tailshaft housing (came from a 3rd gen Camaro).

Other than that I have no real reason to use it. I just want to drive the thing, and not have to fight it to maintain highway speeds, or worry about weather or not it will mechanically make it there.

66-PMD-GMC 10-12-2012 10:36 AM

Well if you are ever in this neck of the woods, gotta let you know, there is a no F word zone in my GM only build area.. :lol:
Just a thought... my 7,000 pound dually gets better than 20 MPH on the freeway with a 350 vortec.. If I ever went the SBC route, I would use that motor or a LS motor in a retrofit build...

McMurphy 10-12-2012 11:38 PM

"I felt a disturbance in the force..."

The use of Ford only leads to the dark side young padewan.

66-PMD-GMC 10-13-2012 10:28 AM

"the force is strong in this one"
:):eek:
:5150:

fryer1979 10-15-2012 03:28 AM

Don't worry guys, the Ford drivetrain won't happen. We are leaning heavily towards using the Caddy setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

fryer1979 11-01-2012 01:43 AM

Went out to try and fire her up for a little drive.....and no start. This carb is junk, and I'm tired of messing with it. So I guess she sits until I can get the Caddy engine in, or I figure something else out.

McMurphy 11-01-2012 02:05 PM

What size carb? I have a 4bbl laying around I can send you if you want it.

fryer1979 11-02-2012 07:00 AM

It's the single barrel Rochester that come on the 292. It was bad to begin with, then I rebuilt it and it just got worse. I've got an old Holley single barrel I was thinking about trying out. I'm just not sure I would use it long with the Caddy engine coming soon. Thanks for the offer man!

McMurphy 11-02-2012 03:17 PM

Anything I am not using that you may need is yours, just speak up !!