The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Captain America 68 short/fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468341)

NastyBuzzard 06-06-2014 07:36 AM

Re: Captain America 68 short/fleetside

Anything new with the Captain?

gottattooz 06-06-2014 01:03 PM

My friend and i are building a tonneau cover for the bed. I'll post pics as it happens. Right now, it's a pile of scrap aluminum. Not very photogenic.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 06-06-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6709308)
My friend and i are building a tonneau cover for the bed. I'll post pics as it happens. Right now, it's a pile of scrap aluminum. Not very photogenic.

-Josh

So I am getting closer to my swap. You used entire wiring harness from donor right? If so, you attached it to the headlights, tail lights and all right? How hard was that? Did you just use butt connectors?

Operatorfailure 06-06-2014 01:19 PM

I'm interested in the aluminum bed cover, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. What thickness are you going to use?

gottattooz 06-06-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard (Post 6709320)
So I am getting closer to my swap. You used entire wiring harness from donor right? If so, you attached it to the headlights, tail lights and all right? How hard was that? Did you just use butt connectors?

Label EVERYTHING!! I'm serious. From left headlight plug, right headlight plug, etc., to ABS connector, fuel pump. All of it. You might remember if you swap within a day or so, but rolled up in a ball somewhere, thank me later. The only trouble i had was extending the wiring for the fuel pump and the fuel hoses. I'd never dealt with plastic fuel lines before, so it was just nervous tension.

I used all the wiring from the donor truck.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 06-06-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6709473)
Label EVERYTHING!! I'm serious. From left headlight plug, right headlight plug, etc., to ABS connector, fuel pump. All of it. You might remember if you swap within a day or so, but rolled up in a ball somewhere, thank me later. The only trouble i had was extending the wiring for the fuel pump and the fuel hoses. I'd never dealt with plastic fuel lines before, so it was just nervous tension.

I used all the wiring from the donor truck.

-Josh

I have labelled everything. Even though I wont be using the ABS I labelled it too, as well as tcase and front hog head! Only thing is, my donor came without doors and a bed so I am missing that much.

It would be nice if the headlight bulb sockets and all from the 01 would just go right in my 87 lights!

You didn't have to fool with power windows or locks or anything like that did you? What did you do for heat or ac?

gottattooz 06-06-2014 03:41 PM

I have manual doors and windows, so no fooling with that. No AC in my truck, and i use the factory controls to run the heater fan.

-Josh

gottattooz 06-06-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Operatorfailure (Post 6709331)
I'm interested in the aluminum bed cover, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. What thickness are you going to use?

I'll post pics as the build progresses.

Keep in mind, we're using scraps groom reroofing trailers.

-Josh

gottattooz 07-04-2014 01:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Update time. Been busy with the rear section of the Captain. I wet sanded the tail lights with 1200 grit, masked off the centers and blacked out the edges of the taillights to match the bed. Then I used the nightshades to black out the taillight lenses, then wet sanded it so it was safe to drive with. Plus sanding them too the shine off, so the taillights are flat black like everything else.

-Josh

gottattooz 07-04-2014 01:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Then I mounted the taillights and swapped beds.

-Josh

gottattooz 07-04-2014 01:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And here's how they light up. I have to make a spacer for the hitch receiver to clear the new roll pan. Also have to make the fuel fill just a tad longer. I frickin love the lights on this truck!!!!!!

-Josh

gottattooz 08-01-2014 11:17 PM

Just an update with the Captain. I've been on two road trips, one to West Virginia, and one to Chicago with the truck without any issues.
On the West Virginia trip, I had my motorcycle in the bed, used the Tow/haul button and was getting 16-18 mpg.
On the Chicago trip, we held her steady at 80 mph and never got less than 16 mph.

-Josh

colgad 08-02-2014 12:10 AM

Well you can't complain about that!

gottattooz 08-10-2014 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up some new wheels for the Captain today. 20x8.5 Factory GMC Sierra wheels. I need 2 in spacers for the rear, and 245/35r20 tired for the front and 245/40r20 tires for the rear to make them fit, but I picked them up for $250.00!!

-Josh

Operatorfailure 08-11-2014 07:26 AM

The spacing up front works for those wheels? I was thinking you would need spacers all around.

colgad 08-11-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6796951)
I picked up some new wheels for the Captain today. 20x8.5 Factory GMC Sierra wheels. I need 2 in spacers for the rear, and 245/35r20 tired for the front and 245/40r20 tires for the rear to make them fit, but I picked them up for $250.00!!

-Josh

I have some spacers that I didn't use for my 67 you can try'um and if they fit Ill make you a deal you can't refuse.

gottattooz 08-11-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Operatorfailure (Post 6797217)
The spacing up front works for those wheels? I was thinking you would need spacers all around.

I bolted then on, front and rear. I've heard that the hub on the newer trucks is smaller than the older trucks, which causes fitment issues. The front rim clears everything, except the tire being too tall. The rear has two more inches of back spacing than the rims i have now. They hit the inner fender before even coming close to fitting over the lug studs.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-11-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6797331)
I have some spacers that I didn't use for my 67 you can try'um and if they fit Ill make you a deal you can't refuse.

I'll grab a wheel and head over whenever you've got time Dave. I'll bring the paperwork for the wheels you're looking for for the c50.

-Josh

Operatorfailure 08-11-2014 04:33 PM

If the fronts work without spacers I would be tempted to get some nice late model wheels and run to pick n pull and get a 99+ disc brake rear end. I think they are under $200 out the door. That would put the back spacing right and get disc brakes on the cheap.

colgad 08-11-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6797677)
I'll grab a wheel and head over whenever you've got time Dave. I'll bring the paperwork for the wheels you're looking for for the c50.

-Josh

Home most of the time just give me a call or txt, Ill PM you a number.

colgad 08-12-2014 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6797677)

-Josh

I got the super singles for the rear with 445/50's, now I just need standard alcoa fronts.

colgad 08-20-2014 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just saw this 99 Z28 dash in the stock housing and thought of you.
Did you find some spacers and get the rims on?
Pretty cool

gottattooz 08-21-2014 06:50 PM

Yes, I ordered my 2 inch spacers last night, and they were waiting for me when I got home from work. Pics to follow.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-21-2014 07:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As pretty as the spacers are, they are wrong. I double-checked to make sure I didn't order the wrong ones, since I had a few options in my Ebay cart. Sure enough, I ordered the 2 inch spacers 6x5.5 to 6x5.5 with 7/16-20 studs and the large center bore. The ones I received are 14mm 1.5 studs with small center bore.

You can see about 1/4 inch gap at the back of the spacer, because it doesn't clear the center bore. My dad suggested a fitment test regardless, to see how close the 2 inch spacers were to being correct.

On wheel pic is with the suspension aired up, and the other is suspension dumped. Mind you, there are 305/50R20 tires on the rims, and they bottom out in the fender well before the suspension settles. I"ll be running 245/40R20's in the rear.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-21-2014 07:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And here are pics of the inner and outer sidewalls off the tire with the suspension up (first two pics), and suspension down. There's quite a bit of travel side to side when the suspension drops. I'm thinking I might have to get the adjustable panhard bar that goes from the frame to the passenger trailing arm. I have the adjustable bar for the stock location, but it's allowing too much lateral movement I guess.

-Josh