The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Chevyrestoguy's '55 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=247512)

VeronikA 12-31-2011 09:52 AM

Re: Chevyrestoguy's '55 build

WOW! Mad skills, super sweet trokita and crazy progress... I have nothing else to say haha! Man you're amazing! Really love your truck! Looks absolutely awesome already!

I was checking your build even before I became a member here.

Great project! Much respect!

Keep us posted. Really dig the way you work on the frame. TTT

57truckguy 01-21-2012 07:10 PM

:metal:Only think I can say is Baddest ass supension I've seen in a long while.. Hand built:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

watahyahknow 01-23-2012 04:04 PM

subscribed , looking forward to seeing the rearsuspension and the airstuff hooked up and working

chevyrestoguy 01-23-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5137337)
:metal:Only think I can say is Baddest ass supension I've seen in a long while.. Hand built:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Thanks! What a great compliment!
The truck is currently on hiatus until I finish my '64 parts chaser. I foolishly sold my '76 to a buddy a while back because he was in a jam and needed wheels, and I've grown tired of borrowing a truck whenever I need to go to the dump or Home Depot. Never sell a running "beater" truck!!!

Once I get back on the '55, it's full speed ahead. I have a lot of cool stuff planned for it, both on the suspension and body. I have been spending a lot of time looking at it in the garage, mostly at how I am going to package everything in the rear suspension area. I work in aerospace, so it'll definitely have lots of hard lines, cannon plugs, and a lot more TIG welds.

duallyjams 01-23-2012 08:38 PM

Never sell a running "beater" truck!!!

Yeah I can't agree with you more on that one , I did the same thing, never again.

57truckguy 01-23-2012 08:50 PM

You know I have spent a lot time just sitting in the garage looking at my truck in the past just thinking about how I wantbto do a project. My misses sometimes ask what the heck I,m doing @ I say " building the truck in my head" I like to think through a projectvbefore I start . That way it's " done" before I even start. I just have assemble the parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

57truckguy 01-23-2012 09:09 PM

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::chevy::chevy:I look at your thread and wonder why I hesitate putting a 3 inch notch in my frame
Posted via Mobile Device. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

_Ogre 01-24-2012 02:58 PM

amazing suspension work you have going on. :c2: very cool indeed.
i checked out your fab shop, they do some nice work over there.

any updates? you seem to post pics a year apart and show some more amazing pics.
from the looks of your drive shaft loop, will you need a tunnel in your floor?

i'm with 57truckguy, i studied my truk for a while before i put a 3'' notch in the frame too. :D:D:D

C@rnut001 01-24-2012 07:40 PM

I have to say that I love your truck...and I totally understand the things that life throws at you to make getting one finished hard and often put on the back burner. My brother has a bunch of these trucks and never has the time to work on one. It is hard enough for him to find time to work on his '55 Belair (496 BBC with 5 speed, not yet finished) so it is understandable. Hopefully you will find the time to finish your "cheater '64 shop truck" and be able to get back to this one! Hang in there though, this is one of the sweetest '55-'59s that I have seen being built!

waybad 01-24-2012 08:48 PM

:metal:

57truckguy 01-25-2012 11:14 PM

OK quite complaning about the weather and get to work..:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

You know it never raines in California..

57truckguy 01-29-2012 06:54 PM

Well I was so blown away with the suspension I totally spaced the front body work you,ve done. Mad skills my friend !!!!!!! You are doing very close to what I had wanted to do before lifevhappened.. I know it's not real common but I was thinking of using my 57 hood and graft in some original hood ornaments and use an original hood bird, along with the work such asvyou,ve done. Ideally like what you,ve done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Twisted Minis 02-03-2012 02:48 PM

This is just a fantastic project, nice job. I have seen Exile's work before, he does very nice stuff. I liked his Tacoma at a show a few years back.

chevyrestoguy 02-03-2012 04:57 PM

Yeah, he sold that Tacoma about a year ago. Most of the fab work was done, and the guy that bought it got a heck of a deal. Mike has been concentrating on off-road stuff lately, and is currently working on a Jeep for a customer that is mind-blowing.

57truckguy 02-17-2012 02:25 AM

Hey sarge,, glad someone else was interested in the bumper,, I was wondering if you are going to try, and I know I should say "try" but "do", and scratch build the valance covering the gap behind the bumper or are you going to use some parts from old fenders and graft them in to fill the gap..

I really like the column idea.. Ididit started that way. so I've been told..

VDOG 04-03-2012 02:03 PM

Kabwe said you were doing some amazing work. Then again, Kabwe is doing some amazing work also. Maybe I need to leave the 69 and get me a 55 and learn from the best. LOL

Thats going to be one mean looking truck when you finish.

55Cameo 04-26-2012 01:48 AM

Just read your whole build. Like what you have going, great build!!

Kabwe 04-26-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 5292052)
Maybe I need to leave the 69 and get me a 55

That sounds like a great idea to me.lol

butchp 08-22-2012 06:03 PM

can you give me the details on the 55 gas tank install maybe some pictures, love the 57 grill idea and 55 bumper saw a 56 truck at good guys in nashville, tn with the bumper look great.

butchp 10-31-2012 11:20 PM

Did you sell the first set of wheels.

Chevette 11-01-2012 09:13 AM

Sometimes when my wife is out of town on business and I'm all alone in bed...................I dream about that chassis fab and those welds.:lol: Good to see this thread back on the front page again. Hope chevyrestoguy has some updates and new pictures for us. Hint....hint...hint.;)

hotrod1 11-01-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevette (Post 5679291)
Sometimes when my wife is out of town on business and I'm all alone in bed...................I dream about that chassis fab and those welds.:lol: Good to see this thread back on the front page again. Hope chevyrestoguy has some updates and new pictures for us. Hint....hint...hint.;)

Hey Chevette:

Do you think that maybe you are cheating on her with those thoughts?

chevyrestoguy 11-01-2012 11:21 PM

You guys are funny......

I haven't done much at all on the '55 lately because I'm going full-speed to finish my '64. That is, whenever I have the spare time. My work is crazy lately, and I haven't had much time for anything else but work. I normally get a few hours on the weekends, provided there isn't a high-priority home project to address.

I look at the '55 EVERY TIME I go out in the garage and brainstorm about what I want to do next. Believe me, it's still very much in my thoughts. I plan to make a few changes from what I had originally planned, namely the motor/trans. I now want to build an LS motor with some kind of a power-adder (turbo or supercharger). Also, I have a lot of new fabrication ideas I want to try.

watahyahknow 11-02-2012 02:13 AM

check out the turbo forum and go for turbo;s you can basicly keep the engine stock and still make a lot of power the ls and lq type engines are verry good with turbo;s

Kabwe 11-02-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5680645)
You guys are funny......

I haven't done much at all on the '55 lately because I'm going full-speed to finish my '64. That is, whenever I have the spare time. My work is crazy lately, and I haven't had much time for anything else but work. I normally get a few hours on the weekends, provided there isn't a high-priority home project to address.

I look at the '55 EVERY TIME I go out in the garage and brainstorm about what I want to do next. Believe me, it's still very much in my thoughts. I plan to make a few changes from what I had originally planned, namely the motor/trans. I now want to build an LS motor with some kind of a power-adder (turbo or supercharger). Also, I have a lot of new fabrication ideas I want to try.

You have abandon your teammates for C10 crowd.lol
Thats why I call you the Terrill Owens of this truck site. Now you can walk outside with no shirt on and do pushups and situps while we ask questions or you can just cry and say "Thats my quarterback" or in your case "That's my truck".lol

Hey man BCToyBox told me he saw you at he races. I hope you had a great time.