The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   LFD's low buck truck build! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=223158)

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:09 AM

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

5 Attachment(s)
Starting with the bottom place your tack weld about 1/2" from each side of each panel clip. Then when you get up to the top body line you will need to place a very small screwdriver in the gap and flex the metal in the direction you want it to go. Do this in little amounts at a time so you do not streach the metal. You want to change the curve ever so slightly! Once you have done this and the body stays were you want it and is flat then tack it in place about every 2" apart. Repeat for the other side. Do the same thing for the floor but panel clips are not needed unless you plan on painting and polishing your bed floor. I will be doing some form of a spray in or roll on bed liner so I did not spend as much time on the floor as I did the outer body. For the front I had to deal with the old gas doors. This added more tape and cut time but it is still the same process as the back.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now you can cut off the braces you have on the rear and add them to the front. Place them so that once you have cut out the section it is left in the bed near the wheel wells. The front of the bed will holds its own shape. The rear is about the same as the front. I had to jog my cut line over abit to make up for the gas door hole. I could not just do a straite cut thru the gas door because it would have hit the front stake pocket and the front bed support. I came 8 3/4" from the rear edge of the front stake pocket and then another 12" for the section that I would remove. Tape it off the same way as you did the front including the inside of the bed and the floor. Just the out side was joged and the inside stayed strate. I found it easier to make a cut on the inside of the bed from side to side near the bottom so when the out side was cut I could just lift off each side one by one then pull the floor out. Then unbolt the front bed mount bolts and remount it on the bed mount that the factory put right were we needed them.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
OOOOOP'S I do not know what happened but I did it on both sides. No bit deal I will just cut a filler strip and tack it in;)

Now everything you will do for the front of the bed will be just like the rear. Once it is all tacked you can start welding it up by adding tacks between each existing tack. Do not try and weld one section in one shot or you will have a very good chance of warpage. I only tacked each area so I would be able to tack one panel and move to another while the first one cools and by the time I work my way around all four side I am ready to start all over.

I do not have any finished shots of the bed side because I ran out of .023 welding wire before I could finish. So in the next few days as time allows I will get back to this and finish it up. I still need to fine the gas tank that I will mount under the bed and install the gas door so I can finish body work. Once the body work is done I will pull it off for paint and then cut the 12" out of the frame and do the flip kit.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And the last shot for now! Before and after.

Here is a post that I came accross awhile ago and it is a great how-to on shortening the frame. I will be doing mine just like this but not for a month or so. Like I said I will be using this thread for my frame cut so I though I would link to it and not try and reinvent the wheel.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

Kevin
LFD Inc.

IvelDesigns 03-05-2007 12:42 AM

great posts man. you make it look really simple to do.

question: why do you have to jog your cut line on both sides of the bed? I understand the gas door side, but couldn't you keep the other side straight?

again, great work. I'm sure there are many people here that will find these last few posts, and the entire thread very useful!

extd56 03-05-2007 12:44 AM

Kevin,

Seeing that you are getting experienced cutting bed sides and floors makes me want to cut the crew cab bed down like the extended cab bed is and taking about 18 inches out of the front of the bed to make it a little bit easier to drive. I still need the back long to get the tank in there.

trkklr77 03-05-2007 12:55 AM

damn dude, i havent been keeping up on your thread.

there is a set of short fleet bed sides leaning against a barn on winters road, in front of the 47-54 truck.

PBFAB.COM 03-05-2007 01:05 AM

Not bad for an old guy!!!!!

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkklr77 (Post 2059668)
damn dude, i havent been keeping up on your thread.

there is a set of short fleet bed sides leaning against a barn on winters road, in front of the 47-54 truck.

Yeh but their is a hole chopped in the rear of the drivers side conecting to the marker light!!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2059678)
Not bad for an old guy!!!!!

The way I see it is, I woke up this morning so I already had a good start to my day so why not try somthing new:rolleyes:

You young kids waist way to much time on these computer thingys. Get a job, make somthing of your life!!!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extd56 (Post 2059660)
Kevin,

Seeing that you are getting experienced cutting bed sides and floors makes me want to cut the crew cab bed down like the extended cab bed is and taking about 18 inches out of the front of the bed to make it a little bit easier to drive. I still need the back long to get the tank in there.

I tried telling you that when your truck was still here! Now the waiting list is about 2yrs out:crazy:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 2059655)
question: why do you have to jog your cut line on both sides of the bed? I understand the gas door side, but couldn't you keep the other side straight?

Simple I had a gas door on both side's:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

extd56 03-05-2007 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2059693)
I tried telling you that when your truck was still here! Now the waiting list is about 2yrs out:crazy:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Well, its a small job compared to the other work that it needed. Besides, I know you really, really, really want to do it. And the bed was still here at my house when you had it. I also have the two new bedsides here to replace the damaged ones on the truck.

IvelDesigns 03-05-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2059698)
Simple I had a gas door on both side's:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

ahhh ok.... i didn't see the P side one when i first looked at the pics. After a closer look, i see what appears to be door #2 under the painters tape. :cool:

brak 03-05-2007 04:03 AM

first off, let me say Thank You, as this is something i've been considering, (due to the shortage and cost of SWB bed sides) But i hadn't seen anything with this much detail...

you're posts leave me with a question though...
would there be any special considerations to be made if the bedsides are off the truck? would they be more prone to warping?

I'm not cutting the floor, and will end up completely dissasembling the bed for storage purposes, and am not sure if i should cut them before removal.

Thanks for the great info, as always :c2:

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 08:09 AM

I found it very easy to do them while they wer still bolted to the head board, floor and while the floor was bolted to the frame. If they were not bolted down I would think you will have some problems. Between the head board, wheel tubs and rear posts it makes for a very solid system so cutting it all loose could move around a bit. Good luck.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

brak 03-05-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2059849)
I found it very easy to do them while they wer still bolted to the head board, floor and while the floor was bolted to the frame. If they were not bolted down I would think you will have some problems. Between the head board, wheel tubs and rear posts it makes for a very solid system so cutting it all loose could move around a bit. Good luck.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

That's kinda what i figured.

Thanks

67ChevyRedneck 03-05-2007 08:59 AM

Ummmm, awesome Kevin! :metal:

PBFAB.COM 03-05-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2059689)
Get a job, make somthing of your life!!!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

My mom used to say the same thing!:hm:

faribran 03-05-2007 11:01 AM

Kevin,
i can only say good things about your work.... but i can say "better" things
about the fact that you share..

I have done this with a Circular saw...... i would bet the circular saw is faster.. but sure makes a lot of noise....
i like the way u did it..
thanks

Rich

brak 03-05-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faribran (Post 2059952)
I have done this with a Circular saw......

:eek:

wow...
I don't think i have the cajones to go near my truck with one o dem spinny saws!!!

:lol:

watahyahknow 03-05-2007 02:08 PM

i used an old cirulair with a anglegrinderdisk in it to cut up caravans metal copper wood doesnt matter it goes trough , jou do need to presss down on it or it wil try to push itself out

seanu 03-05-2007 02:54 PM

Kevin,

It's looking really good...I've had to catch up on your whole post over the last few hours..(haven't been on the board in a while)...

Anyways...I don't suppose you could ship me that front section of bed sheet metal you cut out?:rolleyes: ..the PO of the bed I got tried to do his own LWB to SWB conversion..and didn't get the measurements quite right:crazy:

So either I add...or look for another bed...which down here in Florida..well that's about pointless....

Anyway..keep up the good work, it's nice to see a post for the average builder out there..who can't afford to spend thousands and just wants a nice daily driver....:metal:

Hart_Rod 03-05-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanu (Post 2060207)
Kevin,

It's looking really good...I've had to catch up on your whole post over the last few hours..(haven't been on the board in a while)...

Anyways...I don't suppose you could ship me that front section of bed sheet metal you cut out?:rolleyes: ..the PO of the bed I got tried to do his own LWB to SWB conversion..and didn't get the measurements quite right:crazy:

So either I add...or look for another bed...which down here in Florida..well that's about pointless....

Anyway..keep up the good work, it's nice to see a post for the average builder out there..who can't afford to spend thousands and just wants a nice daily driver....:metal:

Sean,

I bought a parts truck and may have what you need. I won't know until I pick it up (end of month or first of next month). If it's what you need, you can have it. Shipping will definitely be cheaper, or you can make a road trip to P-Cola.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanu (Post 2060207)
Kevin,

:metal:

If Hart Rod has them it would be much cheaper but if not let me know.

Hart_Rod
I just remembered why I still have two bed sides laying in my side yard. You needed a few pieces off of them. Sorry it sucks getting old as Porter keeps pointing out to me:cool: Do you still need them?

Kevin
LFD Inc.