The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project "It's a Jimmy Thing" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=583528)

JJH Jimmy 02-01-2015 12:10 PM

Re: Project "It's a Jimmy Thing"

4 Attachment(s)
I have been getting some things done in hopes that it will be ready by summer. I built a Hickey "style" roll bar yesterday and i think that it came out really well! I took all of the conflicting measurements that i found on this site and just used them for reference. In the end the goal was not to have an authentic reproduction of the hickey bar but something that looked good. I used 2" DOM tube instead of the 1 3/4" that was originally used. Here is a couple of pictures.

JJH Jimmy 02-01-2015 12:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures.

JJH Jimmy 02-01-2015 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some of the major things that i have left to do are..............

Upholstery
Carpet
Rear Panels
Bumpers
Headlights
Soft Top

and buy wheels and tires. I am having a hard time deciding what to get. I think that i am going to go with a 295/70r17 Nitto, Toyo or Cooper MT tire but am not sure what wheel to go with here is one style that i like but i change my mind every other day on to go chrome or matte black finish, What do you guys think????????

orange72blazer 02-04-2015 03:24 PM

The roll bar turned out very nice, I need to get working on mine. As far as the wheels go my wife & I both vote chrome.

tjsblazer 02-04-2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 7029100)
I have been getting some things done in hopes that it will be ready by summer. I built a Hickey "style" roll bar yesterday and i think that it came out really well! I took all of the conflicting measurements that i found on this site and just used them for reference. In the end the goal was not to have an authentic reproduction of the hickey bar but something that looked good. I used 2" DOM tube instead of the 1 3/4" that was originally used. Here is a couple of pictures.

Roll Bar looks really good.
Will it fit under your Hard top?
Did you take measurements you would care to share?

IronCanine 02-05-2015 09:03 AM

The bar looks great....but I really love that silver paint. Great work.

JJH Jimmy 02-05-2015 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orange72blazer (Post 7033878)
The roll bar turned out very nice, I need to get working on mine. As far as the wheels go my wife & I both vote chrome.

Thanks. I used you roll bar measurements as a guide for mine. Thanks for posting them it save a lot of guess work. I think you and your wife are right........Chrome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7034553)
Roll Bar looks really good.
Will it fit under your Hard top?
Did you take measurements you would care to share?

Thank you! I measured my hard top and i should have a 1 1/2" between the top of the bar and the hard top. Here are the measurements that i used. The rear supports that tie into the wheel house tubs are at about 40* but you have to miter the tube slightly where it is welded to the plate because the tubs are more like 45*. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7034913)
The bar looks great....but I really love that silver paint. Great work.

Thanks. I am happy with it. It looks close to the color that you are going with. Your build is coming together quickly. I better hurry up or you are going to be done before me!!!!!!!!

JJH Jimmy 03-02-2015 11:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed some sound deadner and ran the heated seat and speaker and amp wires.

JJH Jimmy 03-02-2015 11:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some carpet laid down in the back and made some stainless steel carpet strips. I didn't take any pictures of it but i had the roll bar painted body color and got it bolted in.

JJH Jimmy 03-02-2015 12:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I refuse to pay $500.00 plus shipping for cardboard and vinyl interior panels so i have been playing with the idea of making my own. I made a pattern and cut it out of some 1/8" HDPE sheet. I was thinking to having it covered with the same material that i am doing my seats in or spraying them with Raptor liner?

Madtrucker 03-02-2015 09:36 PM

Imo your build is to nice to start raptor lining interior panels. Have a simple pattern stitched with the same fabric, it'll never look outdated that way.

Willowrun 03-03-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madtrucker (Post 7073520)
Imo your build is to nice to start raptor lining interior panels. Have a simple pattern stitched with the same fabric, it'll never look outdated that way.

I agree...the RL looks great where you currently have it, but your build is too classy to have it in the interior. Hope to see it at the dunes this summer!

motornut 03-03-2015 09:16 PM

go the same as the seats,custom matching pattern would look cool

JJH Jimmy 03-05-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madtrucker (Post 7073520)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 7074854)
I agree...the RL looks great where you currently have it, but your build is too classy to have it in the interior. Hope to see it at the dunes this summer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by motornut (Post 7074937)
go the same as the seats,custom matching pattern would look cool

Thanks guys for keeping me pointed in the right direction. You are right. I will have the panels upholstered with the same material and pattern as the seats.

I hope to make it up to the dunes this summer. You won't be able to miss me. I will be the guy driving like Grandpa scared i am going to put a scratch in it. LOL

First c10 03-06-2015 01:50 PM

Great build jimmy you are a great fabricater. Allot better than I.

Chulisohombre 03-09-2015 04:39 PM

Cool truck. I like what you have going on.

JJH Jimmy 03-17-2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7078753)
Great build jimmy you are a great fabricater. Allot better than I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chulisohombre (Post 7082824)
Cool truck. I like what you have going on.

Thank you!

JJH Jimmy 03-17-2015 12:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the battery and air box in. So the engine compartment is done. here is a couple pictures.

jaros44sr 03-17-2015 06:02 PM

Great work my good man, that looks like GM installed it

skorpioskorpio 03-17-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 7094559)

They did, just not there.

Bladeboy1998 03-17-2015 09:52 PM

Subbed!I love where this thing is going! Keep up the good work!

motornut 03-17-2015 11:10 PM

Nice and clean looking install

67-72trucks 03-23-2015 06:13 PM

Very nice build!

JJH Jimmy 03-23-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 7094559)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 (Post 7094969)
Subbed!I love where this thing is going! Keep up the good work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by motornut (Post 7095143)
Nice and clean looking install

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67-72trucks (Post 7102935)
Very nice build!

Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to having this thing done.

Jim, what's going on? Been pretty quiet on your build lately.

JJH Jimmy 03-30-2015 12:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got an under seat powered sub and installed that under the back seat. I am no expert on stereo systems but i think it sounds pretty good.

I also got the rest of the carpet laid down and installed the console i restored last year.

I am pretty much waiting on bumpers and the upholster to finish the seats and side panels and then i will call it done for a while.