The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Elwood" the 77_remix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738570)

gringoloco 12-10-2017 11:28 PM

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

No shockwaves up front?

54Caddy 12-11-2017 04:33 AM

Looking good Ken, as asked before ride tech came along. Is the old rear setup going to be available or you keeping it on hand for another truck you have up your sleeves hahaha.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8102017)
No shockwaves up front?

Shockwaves won't work as a " bolt on" for C10s. To get the correct length for adequate lift it would require some serious modifications. The concept was tested and determined not viable.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Caddy (Post 8102100)
Looking good Ken, as asked before ride tech came along. Is the old rear setup going to be available or you keeping it on hand for another truck you have up your sleeves hahaha.

Im stashing spare parts for now. I may do a budget build in the future.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 12:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sunday was a productive day. It was time to tie up loose end and determine what's next. I double checked all the bolts on all the hardware and moved on to the tanks. I had two 3 gallon steel tanks mounted out back. I had hoped to change that and mount them under the cab on the drivers side.

Ridetech sent a single 5 gallon and two 3 gallon aluminum tanks for me to test fit. After measuring and mocking up, I determined that the location under the cab was just not going to work. Its feasible, but it would require me to fabricate a mounting system to get proper placement of the tank bungs. I decided the original location would be best.

Initially I thought I could use the original tank rack , but the aluminum tanks mounts differently. The old rack had been welded in, and I wanted this to be bolt in the event I ever needed to service them. I checked my scrap stock and found a piece of 1x1" steel tubing. It was perfect for what I had in mind.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 01:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
With the tanks mocked up I was able to determine that this was a viable option. The bung configuration is different from the previous tanks, so it will require mapping out a new routing plan. The location of the previous rear bags and the Shockwaves is different as well, so I needed to plan the entire system.

LT7A 12-11-2017 02:38 PM

Re: Elwood the 77_remix

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8100624)
That also gives me an opportunity to clock the bolt heads.

Wow. Clocking the bolt heads. I'm pretty particular and like to do installs cleanly but you've got me beat there. Many commercial Electricians install mounting screws for finish items with the slot vertical and I've picked up that habit, but bolts end up wherever the hex-lords will them, ha. Nice work.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 03:33 PM

Re: Elwood the 77_remix

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8102399)
Wow. Clocking the bolt heads. I'm pretty particular and like to do installs cleanly but you've got me beat there. Many commercial Electricians install mounting screws for finish items with the slot vertical and I've picked up that habit, but bolts end up wherever the hex-lords will them, ha. Nice work.

Its an OCD thing. My eyes are drawn to things that are in disarray. Its a gift or a curse, I'm not sure which. I see things that are out of place and it bothers me.

N2TRUX 12-11-2017 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Merry Christmas today! Look what Brown did for me! My shipment from Wilwood arrived. I know what I will be doing tonight.

PowerdbyChevy79 12-12-2017 10:44 AM

looking great brother..what paint did you use for the frame?

N2TRUX 12-12-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 8103060)
looking great brother..what paint did you use for the frame?

I only use the best at my shop. Thats Krylon Colormaster. I buy it from Walmart and get the 25% more cans for 3.79. :metal:

N2TRUX 12-12-2017 01:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took a break from the RideTech install last night. I had to consult my buddies Keith Stephens and Johnny Merder for thoughts on how I should route my air tanks. When in doubt, consult an expert...or two.

My shipment from Wilwood arrived so I anxiously watched the clock till it was time to leave my office. My boss was out Christmas shopping so I clocked out a bit early and slipped out to my shop. I laid out all the items I had received and took a good look at the instructions.

N2TRUX 12-12-2017 01:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
The first thing I needed to do was pull the differential cover to gain access to the carrier. The axles have to be removed and that starts with the carriers pin. There is a 8mm bolt that locks the pin in place that comes out first. With that out the center pin slides out. Once the pin is removed you can push the axle shafts inward and the retaining C clips will be free. I used a magnet to retrieve the clips and set them aside.

N2TRUX 12-12-2017 02:06 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Now that the axles were slid out I could remove the entire drum assembly. The four bolts that hold the backing plate on were removed and the HD drum brakes were set free. I used a wire brush to clean the housing ends up followed by course sand paper and a brake cleaner bath.

While they were exposed, I pulled and replaced the axle seals and bearings. The seals didnt want to come out so a bit of excessive force was applied.

youngrodder 12-12-2017 04:19 PM

I kind of prefer the looks of the rusty drum brakes...especially if you plan on running some nice fancy wheels...JK

In all seriousness it looks great.

Marc

gringoloco 12-12-2017 09:56 PM

More, please. Love shiny new stuff getting bolted on

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8103311)
I kind of prefer the looks of the rusty drum brakes...especially if you plan on running some nice fancy wheels...JK
In all seriousness it looks great.
Marc

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8103618)
More, please. Love shiny new stuff getting bolted on

Your definitely going to like this next segment.

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 12:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
With the old system out of the way it was time to add some new. The original bolts for the backing plates were bead blasted since they will be reused.
Fortunately the emergency brake system comes completely assembled. It slipped in to place on the axle flange.

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 01:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Once the backing plates are each side gets an adapter bracket. Under the machined billet bracket is a spacer specific to your application.

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 01:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
To make the rotors flexible for various applications, they are seperate from the mounting hat. The hat and rotors bolt together and go on the axle hub.

Once the rotors are in place the calipers are next. Slide them on the two studs protruding from the adapter.

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After the calipers are mounted the brake pads slide in place. Well in this case they were a bit too tight. I chose to remove a few mills off each end of the brake pad backing plates to ensure the pads float in the calipers.

The new calipers require a flexible line. Wilwood offers a braided stainless steel kit with the proper fittings. I will use the factory line clamps to hold these in place. I created new hard lines that will be cut and flared once correct length is determined.

mcbassin 12-13-2017 07:47 AM

Very clean work on the rear diff and brake setup! looks great! :metal:

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8103841)
Very clean work on the rear diff and brake setup! looks great! :metal:

Thank you sir.

PowerdbyChevy79 12-13-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8103153)
I only use the best at my shop. Thats Krylon Colormaster. I buy it from Walmart and get the 25% more cans for 3.79. :metal:

sweet!!

N2TRUX 12-13-2017 10:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I got a new team member involved with "Elwood" the 77_remix. I have worked with Seth at Switch Suspension on Instagram promotional projects. He always said if I ever needed anything to let him know.
I decided I wanted to run dual compressors on the new RideTech system. Having a redundant air supply makes a much faster recovery. In the rare event of compressor failure I still have one left ton run the system.

The ViAir 444 compressors came highly recommended by several experts that I had consulted. Seth agreed and hooked me up with a pair of satin black pumps.