The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Knomadd '71 SWB C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=542821)

knomadd 09-12-2012 10:44 PM

Knomadd '71 SWB C-10 "Brutus" 6.0L 6l90e swap

4 Attachment(s)
Hello to everyone reading this. I've been looking around for a while and have decided to start a build thread. This will be a LONG process, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I've had this truck for a few months now so I'll start off with some "as purchased" pics. This is a very basic '71 SWB C-10 with a 350/350 combo, not the original engine.

*update* Now doing a 2016 6.0L LS based swap with 6 speed auto. Starts here

knomadd 09-12-2012 10:46 PM

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

1 Attachment(s)
My first mod was new plates.

knomadd 09-12-2012 10:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next was to change the locks and ignition so if there are any copies of the previous keys out there, they won't work. I also ordered an American Auto Wire classic update kit, new gauges with 8K tach and vacuum, and a New Port Engineering wiper motor and intermittent switch (wipers currently don't work).

knomadd 09-12-2012 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brown just delivered the latest on the list of things I'll be putting in this winter... I've got a lot to do.

Zoomin 09-12-2012 11:58 PM

You're off to a great start.
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 09-13-2012 01:58 AM

Jeez, I thought that first pic was the after pic.

knomadd 09-14-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 5590002)
You're off to a great start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I think so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5590147)
Jeez, I thought that first pic was the after pic.

Thanks for the compliment. The pictures don't show the flaws. Man, there are some flaws. Bad body work on the passenger bedside (maybe more that I haven't found yet) and the paint wasn't done very well. There are bubbles in the paint from (i believe) moisture in the air line during painting. I could keep going, but it is 41 years old so most of the issues are expected. I may be picky because I used to work at a shop when i was in college, but I can see it and it doesn't make me happy. Overall, it's not in bad shape for a driver, but it can be improved quite a bit.

scotts72heavyhalf 09-15-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks a beautiful truck! Be careful making it so nice thats its no longer a driver takes a bit away from the truck, trust me I have both and I really like my long bed driver the best.

lolife99 09-15-2012 01:23 PM

nice!

72BlckButy 09-16-2012 12:51 PM

Nice looking SWB.

big_al_71 09-16-2012 12:56 PM

Great looking truck!!!

Keep the picts coming....

knomadd 09-16-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks for the compliments gents. I was hoping to start the tank swap and rewiring this weekend, but the wife's car broke down on Thursday and had to fix it this weekend. Starter went out on her Honda... had to take apart half the engine compartment to get to it. I had to give her my daily to get around and I drove the truck. Glad I hadn't taken it apart yet. :lol:

Tinkermc 09-16-2012 08:59 PM

lookin good welcome to the forum

knomadd 12-28-2012 11:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's been a while since I've updated. Life gets in the way sometimes. You know how it is....
Santa was good this year, brought me a new steering wheel. I've ordered more parts too, but they're not here yet. I'll post pictures when they show up.

knomadd 12-28-2012 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started rewiring. I've got the fuse block mounted in the firewall, and some of the dash harness connected. Waiting on a new steering column from CPP to finish the interior wiring. The wife had foot surgery after thanksgiving, so everything's been on hold while I help her out around the house. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to get back out in the garage.

knomadd 01-07-2013 02:11 PM

So I finally had some time to get back on the C10 wiring. I've got the instrument cluster wired and temporarily installed. I still have a long way to go. I just need the time...

Parts on order:
*CPP tilt column (to get shifter off the floor)
*Transmission linkage
*Steering wheel adapter for new Billet Specialties steering wheel
*Carpet (PO cut holes in carpet for shifter bracket, instead of just for bolts)
*Heater Controls (to fill hole in dash and keep wires from grounding out and causing problems until I get Vintage Air - PO removed the heater and all components, including controls)
*Power port and Billet plug form Watson's Street Works (cigarette lighter doesn't work and there aren't any factory knobs in the truck anymore - This allows me to use any knob with proper threads)
*CPP deluxe drop kit (1"/3" springs - already have spindles and 2" blocks - 3.5/5 total drop)
*Temp Sending Unit (for stock gauges - replaced warning light style gauges)
*Hydroboost brake booster
*Fuel line & fittings (to install new tank)
*Hidden hitch kit from ECE

Parts I have that need to be installed:
*Finish rewire
*100 amp alternator
*Fuel Tank (under bed with top filler)
*Bed floor patch (fill holes in bed floor from fuel cell/fuel lines)
*Front Bumper (stock style w/ clear lenses)
*cowl vent trash screens
*Stainless window screens (above window on doors)
*Clean/lubricate/reinstall wiper linkage
*Steering wheel
*Dash knobs (after wiring and reassembly)
*Hood bumpers (side) and adjustable bumpers (front)

72BlckButy 01-07-2013 02:18 PM

Making good headway with this thing. Such a good looking truck!

knomadd 01-08-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5801940)
Making good headway with this thing. Such a good looking truck!

Thank you!

67cheby 01-08-2013 11:31 AM

Beautiful truck ! Looking forward to the updates !

Hart_Rod 01-13-2013 09:17 AM

Sweet truck! I like your upgrades....
Posted via Mobile Device

chevy88 01-13-2013 11:17 AM

Nice truck to start with.
Posted via Mobile Device

trkfrk 01-13-2013 09:58 PM

Looking good. Keep the pictures coming.

knomadd 01-15-2013 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The big brown truck came today. Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to see what it brought me. I'll post pics of what's inside the boxes later this week, maybe this weekend if I don't clear up my schedule more before.

Sorry about the low quality cell phone pic. I was in a hurry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 01-15-2013 11:27 PM

Sweet !
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 01-16-2013 10:17 AM

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I did get an email last yesterday that said my track bar is still on its way. I guess CPP didn't have it in stock when I ordered my kit.

Oh, and I'm trying to add door jamb switches so my dome and courtesy lights will come on when the door opens. They're being delivered today. Parts stores had switches that were too long... the door wouldn't shut with the one I had. :bs: Hopefully the picture isn't a misrepresentation and I'll be getting the shorter switches today. *fingers crossed*

knomadd 01-17-2013 01:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some of what was in the boxes...
Transmission shift linkage
Billet plug, with ididit knob (not sold together)
Front & rear shocks, springs
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 01-17-2013 01:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Rear shock relocation kit
CPP steering column
Hydraulic brake booster system
ECE hidden hitch kit
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 01-17-2013 01:18 AM

Oh yeah, coil spring retainers, pic didn't turn out
Carpet (trim parts box)
Door jamb switches (shorter and the doors close, but smaller diameter so I have to get creative to mare it fit)
Posted via Mobile Device

72BlckButy 01-17-2013 07:32 AM

Money well spent... :D

darkhorse970 01-17-2013 08:07 AM

Nice truck!

knomadd 01-17-2013 11:01 AM

Thank you!
Now if I could just get some time to work on everything...
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 01-18-2013 12:37 AM

My adjustable track bar just showed up today. Thank God it's Friday tomorrow. I'll finally have time to work on the truck this weekend. Wish I could take tomorrow off to work on it instead. Gotta make $$ to pay for all these parts I still have plans for.
Anybody know how to get paid for working on your own vehicles?
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put on the stock style bumper... only to find out that the 67-70 style bumpers have shorter outer brackets... and my turn signals have the built in nuts removed or drilled out, so I can't mount them to the new bumper. :devil:

Ordered new bumper brackets and turn signals from Classic Parts. I guess there is something on back order, but the email didn't tell me what. Guess I have to wait longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 02-08-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My heater controler showed up from ECE, as did my turn signals and bumper brackets. Got the turn signals and brackets installed last weekend (sorry no pics yet) and put the heater control in, but don't have the screws or bolts that hold it in place. Can't seem to find whatever is used either. :help:Does anyone have a pic of the mounting screws for the heater controls or the specs for them? I'll go buy some, but I need to know what to get. unless someone has a spare set they'd like to send me :D

Had to pull the column back out. The tilt function wouldn't work. Called CPP to see what I could do and found out the tilt lever threads were too long. Cut off half the threads and it works fine now. Glad it was an easy fix.

Also installed the window visors (see pic).

Just got the DD shaft to connect the new column to the steering box earlier this week, so hopefully I can get the proper length cut and installed this weekend, along with the back half of the truck wiring to finish up the install.

Oh, and my fuel filter decided it was going to start to leak. Thankfully I hadn't run the eninge long after checking to see if I had wired everything correctly, so no fire. Damn glass filter housing! Ordered up a new filter with pressure gauge from Summit.

I'll try to post up some more pics this weekend after I accomplish some more.

knomadd 02-10-2013 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally replaced the fuel filter. It's a Summit filter with a fuel pressure gauge hiding behind the carb. I used nylon braided line, but I'll probably replace it with hard line at some point. Especially if the ethanol content raises and speeds up the deterioration of the hose.

Yes, i know I need to clean up the engine and carb. This will happen later. Just trying to get it running so I can drive it again. The wife is starting to complain about how long it's been out of commission. I think it's less of wanting to ride/drive it but more of wanting her parking space in the garage back. :lol:

knomadd 02-14-2013 01:45 AM

I've slowly been making progress. I finally have pics to post.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps9e065cd5.jpg
I finally figured out what to use to mount the heater controls and got it installed. Still need to figure out what to use around the stereo to cover up those holes, and the crappy over-cut dash that barely holds the stereo in. PO did a really poor job cutting the dash.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps1b394472.jpg
This is the billet plug i got from Watson's Street Works, and the knob that matches the rest in the truck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps50d2aeba.jpg
Gauges, with vacuum, installed (the white wire is for the dome light, still need to drill holes for it)

knomadd 02-14-2013 01:56 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psdff9413d.jpg
I replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter so I can have a safe battery monitor... No fire hazard anymore. Probably will be hard to tell it doesn't belong for those people who aren't very familiar with these trucks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psf8c73a58.jpg
New column, steering wheel, and knobs installed. Had to thread the shift knob to fit on the shift arm. It was supposed to be a slip on, with a screw retainer, but it was too small of an opening. I like this better anyway.

I'm getting closer to having it drivable again! :metal:

knomadd 02-17-2013 02:43 AM

Started the gas tank relocation and the hidden hitch installation. Realized that they need to be installed together in order to have them share the same space. Obviously the hitch will be mounted at the rear most part of the frame, and the tank will be pretty well centered in the space between cross braces, so there isn't a lot of room to adjust. That's as far as I've gotten with those so far. No holes have been drilled, or marks for finalized location... hard to do anything with the bed still on the truck. I don't have a way to get it off to make any of this easier, so I'll have to make due. :waah:

Moved on to get the rear lights wired up, and the trailer plug wired in. the last time it was painted, the tail lights and reverse lights were painted body color, so they aren't as bright as they could be when lit up. I cleaned them up and painted them white. I should be able to install them tomorrow and finalize the wiring all together. I love progress! :metal:

Got the new shift linkage installed and the old shifter out. Found out the gear indicator lens is located in the wrong spot (all the gears are off by one position according to the indicator). Tried to drill the new holes and found out the metal on the column is feakin' tough. Not one of my drill bits would drill through it. :banghead: I'll have to find another option to drill through it later.

Took out the old carpet, laid down some eastwood sound deadener and heat insulation, laid out the new carpet so it can relax and make it easier to install (hopefully tomorrow).

Done for the night. Hope I'm able to make more progress tomorrow.

knomadd 02-18-2013 01:01 AM

Progress was very limited today. Spent most of the day running to the hardware store to get tools or small parts (screws or bolts mainly). When I was working on the truck, I was attempting to drill and tap the column to move the gear indicator. Finally got the hole drilled after a couple hours and couldn't get a screw to thread in. Kept stripping the threads off the screw. Tried to drill it slightly bigger and broke the bit...twice. :cuss:
Decided it was easier to use scrap aluminum strap I had laying around and make an adapter. It took most of my afternoon to get it worked out. What a pain customizing can be sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

knomadd 02-25-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is an older picture, but I installed some Eastwood Thermo-coustic sound deadener and insulation a few weeks ago.