The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rust on Underside of Hood (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766912)

Driver_WT 07-05-2018 08:12 PM

Rust on Underside of Hood

The hood on my 53 Chevy Truck needs some work on the top side, but not too bad. On the other hand, the underside of the hood is covered with rust, no holes but lots of surface rust. Can I sandblast the underside of the hood, or will that cause problems with the hood? I thought I had seen somewhere that someone had warped their hood by having it sandblasted?

The rust on the underside is too heavy to just sand off.

Thanks.

Wade

mongocanfly 07-05-2018 08:51 PM

Re: Rust on Underside of Hood

A blaster can ruin a body panel if they don't know what they're doing...even then it's a crap shoot....there are liquid options for removing rust....

_Ogre 07-05-2018 09:25 PM

pretty heavy metal on our trucks, i had my whole truk sandblasted
newer vehicles have thin metal and need soda/dryice/walnut shells
the whole bedside of my gmc sierra vibrates when i close the gas door

Foot Stomper 07-06-2018 12:32 AM

A reputable sandblaster will not destroy it so do your homework and spend the money.
Do NOT use liquid rust removal products as they can leave "latent defects".

Dan in Pasadena 07-06-2018 02:37 PM

My entire truck has been sand based piece by piece by a local shop that someone who buys-restores-sells Tri Five Chevy's uses. That was good enough for me. He sells very high dollar restorations and said he always got good results.

Do what Footstomper recommended - do your homework first.

b-mac 07-06-2018 04:10 PM

Not to poo-poo on the guys above, but it probably kind of depends on the restoration. Even blasting can leave rust in some areas. And you risk warping.

I've had success with chemical converters (phosphoric acid based), POR15, and even Molasses Baths or Electrolysis.

Driver_WT 07-07-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 8295086)
A reputable sandblaster will not destroy it so do your homework and spend the money.
Do NOT use liquid rust removal products as they can leave "latent defects".

Is there any way to remove the latent defects from liquid rust removers?

Dan in Pasadena 07-07-2018 06:41 PM

He meant some of the harsh chemical that removed the rust gets stuck in seams and crevices in the metal. Pretty hard to do anything that would assure total removal of this material...which is why I would say to media blast it using a knowledgeable, EXPERIENCED blast shop.

Foot Stomper 07-07-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8296217)
He meant some of the harsh chemical that removed the rust gets stuck in seams and crevices in the metal. Pretty hard to do anything that would assure total removal of this material...which is why I would say to media blast it using a knowledgeable, EXPERIENCED blast shop.

Exactly.

Furthermore, what can't be removed my media blasting should be coated in 2k epoxy primer. After completion, any suspect seems should be treated with a penetrating wax spray to encapsullate the rust, keeping out air and moisture which fuels rust.

mr48chev 07-08-2018 02:19 PM

I'd agree that if you go to a media blaster or sand blaster do your homework to make sure that the person who is doing the sand blasting is well experienced with sheet metal.

One of the local to me powder coating shops (we seem to have several that stay busy) has one guy that the manager says she trusts to do sheet metal and he does all of the car sheet metal. They do a lot of bodies on rotisseries for some of the local resto shops.