The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   using parking brake to get unstuck??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=523172)

bucannon 05-05-2012 09:40 PM

using parking brake to get unstuck???

i have heard from people before that when you get a truck with open diff stuck in whatever your stuck in, use the parking brake and it acts like a posi?

i had a buddy that got out of sand like this once

how does this work??

ol'blu72 05-05-2012 09:52 PM

Re: using parking brake to get unstuck???

I have never used the parking brake but have used just brakes. I guess it would depend on which wheel was spinning. What it does is increase the friction on the spinning wheel therefore transferring more torque to the other wheels.

Gumby 05-05-2012 10:28 PM

sure wouldn't want a floor stomper kicker/clicker, would want a hand lever with a button so you can apply just enough to create drag.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-05-2012 11:16 PM

I got my '68 stepside stuck in some sand near the coast in North Carolina, not too long after I got it. A friendly guy stopped me from over-revving it. Said he used to have a truck just like mine. So I let him have the controls, and he pulled on the parking brake lever while in granny gear, with only slight throttle and that truck eases out of the pit. I did have an open diff then. Yeah, the same trick would take some double-clutching on a '71.
But it works.

68gmsee 05-06-2012 09:48 AM

By slowly setting the rear parking brakes as you slowly step on the throttle prevents the spinning tire from turning so the rotation is transferred to the non spinning tire. At least that's the theory and sometimes it works if only one tire is in the mud or snow.

Psycho71 05-06-2012 01:45 PM

It'll work on a slick boat ramp too. Used to use my old '98 to tow the boat. Had a buddy trying to pull the boat out one day, and all he could do was spin the one tire. And no matter how fast he spun that tire we didn't go anywhere. He started telling me I needed better tires. "Watch this", I said. I hopped out of the boat, and in the truck, and like a hundred times before I rode the brake and eased into the throttle. I made it out without spinning a bit, and then told him,"it's not all about brute force, finesse works sometimes". He then demonstrated with a hand gesture that I was number one.

68gmsee 05-06-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho71 (Post 5356225)
.....I made it out without spinning a bit, and then told him,"it's not all about brute force, finesse works sometimes". He then demonstrated with a hand gesture that I was number one.

:lol: