The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   The "In over my head" build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385110)

SeventyOne 02-05-2010 12:43 AM

The "In over my head" build thread

5 Attachment(s)
A little story to start things off...

I always liked the look of these 4x4 blazers and when I finally decided it was time to buy one I jumped in and bought the first one I saw.......not too smart in the long run :lol:

Had all sorts of issues once I started to tinker with it and see what shape it was really in. Started checking out craigslist for parts and I was so mad at myself for missing a cheaply priced cherry set of seats that I told myself "you need to keep checking in case other deals pop up".

What ended up happening just two days later was a whole blazer for sale popped up with NONE of the issues my current blazer had (and for almost half the price of the first blazer). My wife told me I was crazy and thought going to look at it was making the same mistake all over again.

Went and checked it out and bought it in Oct. '08....I couldn't help myself :chevy:. Drove the 100 miles home like a champ! Drove it awhile like that and this past July I started the tear down.

The obligatory before pictures
Attachment 543254
Attachment 543255

Here is where the truck was as of sunday.
Attachment 543257
Attachment 543258
Attachment 543261

Toughest part was getting a few of the body bolts to separate since the were rust-fused together - thanks to my brother for figuring out how to pop those loose. Once it was free my crew of ten "Blazer slaves" (8 lifters, 1 frame roller-outer, and 1 dolly roller-inner) helped with the heavy lifting :metal:

Big thanks to Classic383 for the inspiration and dimensions for the dolly to get me here.

SeventyOne 02-05-2010 12:49 AM

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

2 Attachment(s)
Along the way, in keeping with the "keep checking for good deals", I found a new set of 37" MTRs for sale with free shipping on ebay for $1000. Seeing as how I wanted 37s and a set of 4 would normally cost me 1300+ I jumped all over it!:devil:

Attachment 543264
Attachment 543265

Plans also include a 383, 6-7" lift to clear the tires, 700r4, 14bolt with disc brakes, and an 8 lug swap up front.

Well that's about it for now - will get back out there this weekend to keep the progress moving...

Big J 02-05-2010 10:22 AM

That looks like a great start, keep the progress up. Along with pics, lol. Nice score on the rubber. Whats the plan for body color and wheels? All that sheet metal looks sweet btw, pretty rust free lookin'.

lks dcvn 02-05-2010 11:25 AM

Always nice to begin with a decent starting point...keep up updated with pix and progress - it will help with motivation - ask me how I know - :)

SeventyOne 02-05-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3781465)
That looks like a great start, keep the progress up. Along with pics, lol. Nice score on the rubber. Whats the plan for body color and wheels? All that sheet metal looks sweet btw, pretty rust free lookin'.

Thinking of painting it a charcoal grey and painting the top black. Just got wheels yesterday...they look cool (black with a machined metal/aluminum surface) but I just hope they don't look too modern for the body style. Might have to shove it in one of the tires and hold it against the body for a sneak peak. Anyways the grey, black, chrome should look good together.

Previous owner replaced the rocker panels and patched the front quaters. Torsion boxes are 90% solid. Not sure If I will patch those or replace the entire box - is there a problem with just cutting out the badly rusted parts?

There is minor rust on the floor pan but kinda hate to see what may be underneath. I've been looking all the sheetmetal/rust repair threads I can on this site and its given me some confidence that I can do it with some patience and luck :mm:

Quote:

keep up updated with pix and progress - it will help with motivation
Honestly right after making this build thread I felt this urge to keep it up like it was motivating me - pretty cool!

Yukon Jack 02-05-2010 06:23 PM

Sounds like a great project - major steal on those MTR's. Was that an ebay vendor or just a private seller?

SeventyOne 02-05-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 3782234)
Sounds like a great project - major steal on those MTR's. Was that an ebay vendor or just a private seller?

I think he was a vendor as he had other auctions like it posted up - those didn't have free shipping for whatever reason. Guess I just got lucky....

Big J 02-06-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 3782154)
Previous owner replaced the rocker panels and patched the front quaters. Torsion boxes are 90% solid. Not sure If I will patch those or replace the entire box - is there a problem with just cutting out the badly rusted parts?

There is minor rust on the floor pan but kinda hate to see what may be underneath. I've been looking all the sheetmetal/rust repair threads I can on this site and its given me some confidence that I can do it with some patience and luck :mm:

Honestly right after making this build thread I felt this urge to keep it up like it was motivating me - pretty cool!

Your color combo sounds cool. It took me actually shooting the paint to commit to a color, lol.

Theres not a problem at all with patching the rocker boxes. I did. A PO had cut a portion of the bottom out on both sides to hang some steps, lol. To each his own I guess. If the rust really is minor as in surface rust then I'd leave well enough alone and use some rust inhibitor on like Por15. You should be able to see the underside pretty well if your going to cut out and patch the rocker boxes. I too have learned that a build thread helps keep ya going. Keep up the work. And yes you may as well take a couple pics of those new wheels and toss'em on here for all to see.

burbguy 02-06-2010 01:10 AM

That looks like a good start, keep us posted with alot of pics..!! It keeps me motivated on my project, when I see progress on everybody elses..!! Hey seventyone, I'm local bay area also, maybe one day I could stop by and get to see first hand how your build is coming along...?

72BlckButy 02-06-2010 01:19 AM

Nice looking project!

jaros44sr 02-06-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3783164)
Your color combo sounds cool. It took me actually shooting the paint to commit to a color, lol.

Theres not a problem at all with patching the rocker boxes. I did. A PO had cut a portion of the bottom out on both sides to hang some steps, lol. To each his own I guess. If the rust really is minor as in surface rust then I'd leave well enough alone and use some rust inhibitor on like Por15. You should be able to see the underside pretty well if your going to cut out and patch the rocker boxes. I too have learned that a build thread helps keep ya going. Keep up the work. And yes you may as well take a couple pics of those new wheels and toss'em on here for all to see.

^^^What he said, I agree, except the part of commiting to a paint color, changed my mind , again:lol:

SeventyOne 02-06-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbguy (Post 3783176)
That looks like a good start, keep us posted with alot of pics..!! It keeps me motivated on my project, when I see progress on everybody elses..!! Hey seventyone, I'm local bay area also, maybe one day I could stop by and get to see first hand how your build is coming along...?

Yea it would be cool to meet some of the local 67-72 guys - I know there are quite a few other locals but haven't met any yet.

Ill try to get pics up this weekend of the wheels and whatever other progress I make.

1sik52 02-06-2010 09:37 AM

another one to watch!!

duceducenine 02-06-2010 12:52 PM

70-1 whats up!
what size are those stock tires?
the ones on the k5 now.....
im local about 40 minutes from you....
need some help, info, ideas.....---duceduce9---

SeventyOne 02-06-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duceducenine (Post 3783843)
70-1 whats up!
what size are those stock tires?
the ones on the k5 now.....
im local about 40 minutes from you....
need some help, info, ideas.....---duceduce9---

PO had 33" tires on the stock suspension. Only rubbed going to full lock and only just barely.

SeventyOne 02-08-2010 12:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Update 2.7.10

Got a few hours in the garage Sat and Sun and managed to make a dent in the the frame stripping process.

Transfer case came out with relative ease once the drive shafts were removed. Notice the stock orange color.
Attachment 544679

Decided to remove the transmission while I was at it
Attachment 544680

Here today's parts pile
Attachment 544681

My brother is getting a free engine stand from his high school auto shop, and we will be borrowing a cherry picker soon to remove the engine. Then it's on to axles, and frame clean up/paint.

Also here are the wheels that I chose and a shot of the wheels that are on the truck now. I am not crazy about the center caps but I think the new ones have similar styling while being more modern and rugged which should go well with the lift and tires. Please let's hear your opinions.

OARNGESI 02-08-2010 06:28 AM

Really clean looking blazer

SeventyOne 02-12-2010 11:20 PM

Mini update

Got a barely used engine stand and 4 2-ton jack stands for cheap from a guy selling of stuff he didn't use anymore. Going to see if I can source a used cherry picker or borrow one tomorrow and get the engine out. Will also try to remove the axles and get the gas tank out. Will post up pics later in the weekend.

Big J 02-13-2010 09:40 AM

Those wheels will look great. Check your local tool supply store for your cherry picker. I picked mine up on sale at Bargain Supply in Louisville KY for 125.00 on sale, the legs fold up too. Its a nice heavy one, had no problems picking up the engine or tub.

Otsa580 02-13-2010 06:43 PM

Rims look good. They will look even better on the 37's!

SeventyOne 02-14-2010 05:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More Progress...

Didn't get quite as far as I wanted to but nevertheless I made some headway getting down to a bare frame...

Gas tank lines for reference
Attachment 547167

Previous owner welded in a ton of steel for a custom hitch that didn't allow me to drop the gas tank so out it came....
Attachment 547168
Attachment 547169

Gas tank out
Attachment 547170
Anyone know how to dispose of gas? Maybe I can just put "old gas" for free on craigslist and someone will take it?

Tires mounted and balanced
Attachment 547171

Try to get a cherry picker this next week sometime and once the engine is out I can remove the axles and suspension.

:smoke:

daddys72jimmy 02-14-2010 10:59 PM

maann that tire and wheel combo looks kick ass. keep up the work and pics

Blazer Dude 02-15-2010 03:50 PM

I like those wheels. the only thing is there 8 lug not 6..are you planing on changing it to 8 lug?

SeventyOne 02-15-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer Dude (Post 3802618)
I like those wheels. the only thing is there 8 lug not 6..are you planing on changing it to 8 lug?

14 bolt going in the rear and will do a swap on the Dana 44 to make it 8 lug.

Blazer Dude 02-15-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 3802781)
14 bolt going in the rear and will do a swap on the Dana 44 to make it 8 lug.

oh ok cool.:metal: