The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Z frames and shaved handles (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=137984)

L0WRIDE 01-28-2005 04:17 AM

Z frames and shaved handles

have read some posts about z frames & was wondering whats invovled, does the motor have to be recessed into the cross member and what has to be done to the steering and the steering column and with shaved handles do I have to upgrade the locking mechanisim or can i use the standard lock latch. Any info on either of these would be greatly appreciated as i am having a hard time finding info here. Cheers :help:

BK 01-28-2005 06:06 AM

well, with the Z, there is alot, depends on how much you go, i went with 4", and i moved my engine/tranny ahead 3.5", so no dist. clearance problems. new tranny tunnel, new big hole in the floor. You dont need to recess the engine as you move it and the mounts up with the z, but you should raise your tranny the same amount or close. steering usually a notch in your UCA, or 3 u-joints and a heim. With shaved handles, you need different latches, i prefer autoloc large bearclaws, thats what i got, work great. any more questions ask away as i have a panel lays rocker with shaved handles, 4" Z, 10" step notch out back clears trailing arms.

L0WRIDE 01-29-2005 05:00 AM

Hey DroppedChoppedPanel thanks for the reply have you got any pictures of your steering mods.Hope you don't mind if you hear from me abit as I have made my mind up I am going to Z the frame , give her a roof chop and shave the handles.What size Z do you suggest as I want to lay rockers on 20" rims.Should look pretty sick,she is a 65 longbed,Have only seen about 5 over here all stock.Mini truck scene is just starting to kick off over here,we re well behind you guys.My Silverado is the only full size truck bagged over here.People think I am mad doing what I am going to do to the 65 but it's got to be done after what I have seen on this forum.

BK 01-29-2005 05:44 AM

well, ive seen many people doing the 2" Z with a crossmember drop, but with the 4" z you dont have to do any crossmember mods, other than drop spindles and bags. I had to move my engine/tranny ahead for distributor clearance but its all good now, went ahead 3.5". depending on what type and what model tranny, may have to do something different there to make everything work(ive got a 700r4 with a lokar tailshaft 12" shifter). Funny thing is with a 700r4, engine/tranny moved ahead, a 92 buick roadmaster driveshaft fits perfect with a different rear u-joint... neat eh? Oh yeah, and chopping the roof, go for it, they are awesome. i chopped mine 6" and love it.

L0WRIDE 08-06-2005 04:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got 'round to Z'ing the chasis 2 inches and refabricated the rear chasis to accomidate the trailing arm,just waiting on the petrol tank and then have to fabricate a watts linkage. Thanks to those of you that have helped it has been most appreciated. Updated pics to follow

AesC10s 08-06-2005 01:39 PM

WOW thats looks GREEEEEEEAAAAAAAT!

a squarecan 08-06-2005 03:07 PM

Man the back end looks awesome! I can't wait til I get a new welder so I can start on some frame modifaction. I plan on building the frame from the back of the cab back similar to what you did

Keith

Chevyboy1962 08-08-2005 02:36 AM

Lowride, I LOVE the stance your truck has. :) :metal: :cool:
One day I hope to have my truck in the weeds too. :)
Got anymore pics? :)
David

L0WRIDE 08-08-2005 03:36 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. I haven't got any updated pics, haven't put alot of time into her lately but will be cracking again in about a week or so, so more to come soon. I got quoted to rechrome her grille and bumper today, upwards of $2000 nz so am going to be looking at shipping one over from the U.S in the near future which will cost less even including customs and conversion etc....ridiculous. Waiting on a steering column now (since march) which are hard to get here also. Its a pain in the a$$ having to wait for that kind of stuff when you are going hard and having a good run of it

L0WRIDE 05-24-2007 03:21 AM

Re: Z frames and shaved handles

4 Attachment(s)
heres a couple progress pics

L0WRIDE 05-24-2007 03:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
heres a couple more

53lowdown 05-24-2007 08:58 AM

Verrry cool. I was just thinking about shaving my drip rails and now I have an idea of how to do it. Please keep posting updates. I wanna see how she turns out. Nice work

salazar44 05-24-2007 10:46 AM

what exactly is "z'ing" the frame? sorry for the stupid question!

L0WRIDE 05-25-2007 07:58 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't done much on her lately - been off work for 5 months after cutting all the tendons in my forearm. Looking forward to being able to get back into it. Salazar44, Z'ing the frame is when you cut just behind the crossmember and just in front of the crossmember, and then lift it to your desired height, between 2 and 4 inches and then re-weld. If I was to do it again though, I would buy a dropmember from porterbuilt who is a sitemember here.

chevytrucknut 05-26-2007 02:37 PM

I like the work you've done on your truck. I really like the flip hood. Does it pop up in front then flip forward like a BMW or ?, I've always wanted to do something like this on my truck. Any words of wisdom?

GREASEMONKEY72 05-27-2007 07:58 AM

looks awesome dude, cant wait to see more

L0WRIDE 06-05-2007 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevytrucknut (Post 2192573)
I like the work you've done on your truck. I really like the flip hood. Does it pop up in front then flip forward like a BMW or ?, I've always wanted to do something like this on my truck. Any words of wisdom?

yes the hood does pop up in front then flip forward like a BMW ill post a how to later on just got to get a few things finalised but till then heres the latest thing to happen to my truck

slammed1966chevy 06-05-2007 07:25 AM

Awsome suicide doors cant wiat to do that to mine , how much money was it? i am just wanting to do one door on my truck so yeah :lol:

Frizzle Fry 06-05-2007 11:45 AM

Nice!

64shortc10 06-05-2007 12:15 PM

Looking good! I definitly wanna see how you did the hood! Keep up the good work!

Tony from Norcal

L0WRIDE 06-05-2007 07:08 PM

;) thanx guys its you guys on this site that keep me motivated.hey slammed Ive payed $400 for the hinge kit and bear claws.If you want to know how to make the suicide door hinges another board member has a web site showing you how heres the site www.suicided.com just click on suicide and its all there. :metal: thanx again guys:metal: :metal:

L0WRIDE 07-30-2007 07:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well guys here's the latest pics got both doors swinging had to stop progress on the 65 for a little while.on a mission to get my mates 84 sub bagged while his kids are away stateside for six weeks heres some pics

David Flores 07-31-2007 12:25 AM

Freakin sick man. I love the suicide doors and forward flip hood. Do you have any more pictures of how you did the suicide doors?

sanford66 07-31-2007 12:43 AM

WOW!! You have put a lot of time and work into that. I like the shaved drip rails and rounded door edge's. Please tell me how you did the doors!! Thanks. Joe

Stepside65 07-31-2007 01:26 AM

Very nice.