The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Soft Tops For 69 to 72 Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=219677)

Pyro 72K5 12-15-2006 11:23 PM

Soft Tops For 69 to 72 Blazer

Help

I was wondering if anyone could give me info on a soft top for my Blazer. I am looking for someone who currently makes them. I am not interested in the Tiger top due to the snaps. I was looking at on from Specialty Tops but they are not making them any more because they arte being sold. I heard that some old employees from Kayline might be starting up to make them again.

Thanks foryour help

BUDDY 12-16-2006 02:40 AM

Re: Soft Tops For 69 to 72 Blazer

I think you, me & everybody might just be screwed. I went to coloradok5 & saved all of the pictures in their can-back review. What I will do with the pictures is design a similar top, & take the plans to a boat awning shop, & have them stitch it up for me.

Will it take a while? Yes.

Will it be expensive? Yes.

Will it totally kick ass? We'll see.

I have a TJ with a soft top as well, which doesn't leak AT ALL, so I'm going to try & duplicate a lot of the design elements from it into the blazer top.

Maybe I'll sell the plans on EBAY or something & have myself a little side business.

Later,

Buddy

VinceY 12-16-2006 06:30 PM

try the search function on Soft tops.
there has been lots of posts.

Here's one with 3 types on it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=soft+tops

LUV2XCLR8 12-16-2006 09:28 PM

I'd rather just have a 1/2 cab :metal:

jaros44sr 12-16-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 1947090)
I'd rather just have a 1/2 cab :metal:

I agree, now I just have find one. Cheap!!! J.

red71cheyenne 12-17-2006 01:35 AM

The tonneau for the 71 longbed has an aluminum frame that clamps to the bedsides and the snaps are mounted to it. I was going to try to find some of the aluminum channel they use and make a soft top frame out of it. Then just have some vinyl cut and sewn to fit with side and rear windows sewn in as well. Anyone tried a frankenstein job like that? Any ideas on a supplier for the aluminum channel? Its basically just a rectangular tube with plastic corners riveted on. Jeff.

bouncytruck 12-18-2006 01:31 AM

Bestop makes a top for Blazers. My understanding is that Specalty Top Co is going to be backup and running in a few months.

I wouldn't hold my breath that CanBack will ever make a top for our trucks. They've been saying anytime now for over 4 years. Last I heard, they really had not intensions of building a top for first gen Blazers.

vtblazer 12-18-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 1948758)
I wouldn't hold my breath that CanBack will ever make a top for our trucks. They've been saying anytime now for over 4 years. Last I heard, they really had not intensions of building a top for first gen Blazers.

:agree:

BUDDY 12-21-2006 05:27 PM

:agree:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 1948758)
Bestop makes a top for Blazers. My understanding is that Specalty Top Co is going to be backup and running in a few months.

:agree: as well. I'm just saying that I'll model mine after the Can-Back.

I figure if it'll cost 750 anyways, I might as well have the boat shop do it EXACTLY how I want it for 1000.

Of course, I don't KNOW that I could get it done for that much, but I can dream can't I?

Later,
Buddy

EFI70Blazer 12-21-2006 09:04 PM

Are the soft tops available fairly water tight?

bouncytruck 12-21-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFI70Blazer (Post 1953535)
Are the soft tops available fairly water tight?

Fairly water tight. They leak around the door windows and where the door meets the windshield frame, but it's not too bad. If you live in a mild climate (like SoCal) they would work fine all year. They are a bit more drafty than the hard top for any place that sees any type of winter.

EFI70Blazer 12-22-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 1953626)
Fairly water tight. They leak around the door windows and where the door meets the windshield frame, but it's not too bad. If you live in a mild climate (like SoCal) they would work fine all year. They are a bit more drafty than the hard top for any place that sees any type of winter.

Looks like i won't be getting one of those then. Guess i will have to try and make a half cab out of my spare top for easy on/off during the summer. Thanks for the info.

JMac11 12-22-2006 09:09 AM

I think mine is a boat shop top, have never been able to ID one like it. It has some issues, but overall it works great. The biggest problem I have had is it holding water over the front seats and drowning you when you open the door after a rain. When leaving it out for a day or two I put a towel on top of the roll bars to give it a positive down slope.

BUDDY 12-22-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMac11 (Post 1954117)
I think mine is a boat shop top, have never been able to ID one like it. It has some issues, but overall it works great. The biggest problem I have had is it holding water over the front seats and drowning you when you open the door after a rain. When leaving it out for a day or two I put a towel on top of the roll bars to give it a positive down slope.

Have you seen this? They are made for Jeeps, but it may work with your top, or you may be able to adapt the idea to work with your top.

I probably try something with some pvc piping. I'd assume that you have some kind of frame around the windows right? Go to your favorite box, (lowe's, HD, etc.), or local hardware store & pick up some 1" PVC pipe. About 6-8 feet would probably be more than enough. Also, pick up (2) 1" tee fittings, for each "bow" you'll make.

What you want to do is cut the t-fittings so that they look like this -C
instead of this -O

Hope this is making sense.

Then you cut the pipe so that it is a little too long to fit in between you're door frames, so that it will bow when you put it in between them. Attach the "T's" & stick it in between the door frames.

You may have to adjust the length a few time to get it just perfect, but I "think" that would solve the pooling problem.

You could paint the PVC to match the interior or even wrap it in upholstery for a super trick, cheap fix.

Merry Christmas!!

Buddy

PICKMUP 07-25-2010 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Old thread---but, I just saw this on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=190410277781

I think I like the looks of my old KLINE better. Remember when you could get these in all the colors? What happened?

LUV2XCLR8 07-25-2010 01:48 PM

WoW, He has 10 of these available :eek:

2fast55 07-25-2010 04:16 PM

Looks to me like he is just trying to overprice the new softoppers, and he doesn't even have all the colors. Here is a link to the same cover for a LOT less money, just by buying it from the manufacturer.

PHAT TONY 08-06-2010 09:16 PM

That's not the same as the SoftToppers.

72blazer_mud_bogger 04-08-2011 12:57 AM

do any other companies make the soft tops for the 1st gen blazer or is softtopper the only one left?

JDSurge 06-27-2018 10:36 AM

Hey Guys, I have been searching on the internet for soft tops for my 72 blazer and found several companies that make them,
softopper.com, motorcityk5, and others, cost is $979
Has anyone purchased one of these. They say they are water tight, has fold down capablities, clear side and rear windows. Works in all four seasons. I was thinking about selling my hard top and buying one of these if I can leave it on all year. I only like driving it with the top down but sometimes rain gets in the way.
Let me know what you think.
JD

A1971Blazer 06-27-2018 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This K/5 I just got a few weeks ago has a new Soft Topper on it....
it fits very well and I did get caught in a rain storm with it...
I didn't have but about 10-12 miles in the rain but there were no leaks that I could find
Attachment 1796541

JDSurge 06-27-2018 05:35 PM

Man, I like that black blazer........ all of my vechicles are black except for my blue blazer...... may have to get the paint brush out.......

JDSurge 06-27-2018 05:36 PM

Does the top fold down behind the rear seat? That would be nice.

A1971Blazer 06-28-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDSurge (Post 8289990)
Does the top fold down behind the rear seat? That would be nice.

See the video on this page for fold down procedure
https://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-t...-blazer-gen-1a

72gmguy 06-28-2018 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDSurge (Post 8289761)
Hey Guys, I have been searching on the internet for soft tops for my 72 blazer and found several companies that make them,
softopper.com, motorcityk5, and others, cost is $979
Has anyone purchased one of these. They say they are water tight, has fold down capablities, clear side and rear windows. Works in all four seasons. I was thinking about selling my hard top and buying one of these if I can leave it on all year. I only like driving it with the top down but sometimes rain gets in the way.
Let me know what you think.
JD

I purchased one a few years ago from softopper and am really happy with it. It started on my 70 but has since been relocated to my 72. Not water tight around the door glass in my instance but not too bad. Actually works better than I would have thought before purchasing it.
Attachment 1796736