The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Okay to use aluminum hard lines for transmission to radiator? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=763456)

Steve Cole 05-08-2018 11:48 AM

Okay to use aluminum hard lines for transmission to radiator?

I was thinking about making my own hard lines with AN fittings. Any thoughts?

Rich69shortfleet 05-08-2018 11:50 AM

Re: Okay to use aluminum hard lines for transmission to radiator?

I wouldn't. Aluminum is too soft and can be cracked or punctured too easily. It also fatigues much easier and quicker than steel.

OBS454 05-08-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich69shortfleet (Post 8256970)
i wouldn't. Aluminum is too soft and can be cracked or punctured too easily. It also fatigues much easier and quicker than steel.

x2

darrellyates 05-08-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 8256967)
I was thinking about making my own hard lines with AN fittings. Any thoughts?

I did this on my first build. After about a year, it split an aluminum line wide open. What a mess... Only steel or braided AN line. I used braided and some nice fittings on my latest build. No problems yet. I believe the braided is rated with a higher burst strength than the solid aluminum.

I wouldn't use aluminum again. And, can't bend small steel lines tight enough (at least I can't...).

Just for what it's worth...

Steve Cole 05-08-2018 06:53 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I hear what you're saying about the aluminum but I have a couple of questions to further clarify. How much pressure could the fluid possibly be under? The Silverado I pulled the motor/tranny from had aluminum lines if I recall correctly. Also, airplanes use aluminum lines in the hydraulic systems, and thet operate at 3200 psi. It probably has a lot to do with the grade of aluminum. Now fatigue is another issue entirely. I could see where that might cause problems if allowed to flex much. Which would be easier to flare/ work with, steel or stainless lines? I know stainless is hard to hand bend at these larger sizes.

Mike (Asheville) 05-08-2018 08:19 PM

There's not enough pressure to burst aluminum, but there's no reason not to use steel. It's cheap, fittings are cheap, it's easy to bend and flare, and you can paint it if you're concerned about rust. Stainless is a pain to deal with and, having used it previously, would recommend strongly that you don't go that route.

Robznob11 05-08-2018 11:03 PM

OEM uses it but as you will notice they usually have a short rubber hose on the end as well as o ring seals that allow for movement.