The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Help identifying front-end noise (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=747191)

rgunlock 09-24-2017 11:35 AM

Help identifying front-end noise

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just finishing up restoring my 78 K15 and during test drives I'm hearing a noise from the front end I haven't been able to identify. Its kind of a "swish-swish-pause-swish-swish..." noise. The tempo increases/decreases with the speed of the truck. I got a ChassisEAR setup and listened around and it seems to be coming from both front wheels.

Figured brakes. I'd already replaced rotors and pads so I went ahead and replaced the calipers as well. Still have the sound, but realized that it doesn't go away when I press the brakes. If it were pads hitting high spots on the rotor I figure it would stop when the pads grab.

Only thing left that I can think of is something in my locking hubs, but I've also replaced wheel bearings and lubed everything up several years ago before this became a restoration project. Can't think offhand what's in there that would make this kind of noise. Seems really loud when I drive past a solid fence along the road.

Any suggestions on what to look for? Both hubs are in the free position - haven't tried locking them in yet.

Thanks, Rick

mongocanfly 09-24-2017 12:09 PM

Re: Help identifying front-end noise

wow..that's a sharp truck.....have you jacked up the front end yet and spun wheels by hand to listen for the noise?

Stocker 09-24-2017 12:56 PM

Does it have a rubber or plastic air dam underneath the front bumper? The center part can detach with both ends remaining attached, and they kinda flap in the breeze. Looks funny meeting a vehicle with that piece flapping.... your description of the sound made me think of it.

rgunlock 09-24-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8046706)
wow..that's a sharp truck.....have you jacked up the front end yet and spun wheels by hand to listen for the noise?

Thanks! Did 99% of this myself. I did spin the wheels when I thought it was the brakes, but need to do it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8046736)
Does it have a rubber or plastic air dam underneath the front bumper? The center part can detach with both ends remaining attached, and they kinda flap in the breeze. Looks funny meeting a vehicle with that piece flapping.... your description of the sound made me think of it.

It originally did but I haven't put it back on.

Stocker 09-24-2017 05:16 PM

With the hubs in the free position, the front driveshaft will sometimes rotate slowly. Maybe there's something about that driveshaft that's making the sound. Try driving it with the hubs locked (and the t-case in 2Hi). If the noise changes, goes away or speeds up, I would suspect the front driveshaft.

Another way to check for a front DS issue is to use one or more sturdy plastic ties to keep the DS from rotating -- only in 2Hi with hubs in free position of course.

rgunlock 09-24-2017 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure I got this figured out today. I will chalk it up to a rookie troubleshooting exercise. Turns out the wheel weights from getting the tires balanced was rubbing on some high spots on the dust shield. Ground them down some in 2 spots (only got picture of 1) and problem appears to be gone.

andrewmp6 09-24-2017 09:36 PM

You might want to look in to balacing beads they do work great and you could install them through the valve steam if you pull the core out.

Stocker 09-25-2017 02:37 PM

Now that is interesting -- glad you found it!

mongocanfly 09-25-2017 08:42 PM

yep...sometimes its the simple things...

Brad54 09-26-2017 02:26 AM

Gonna have to get your wheels rebalanced now.

-Brad