The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help with outside mirror location (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=740629)

Joesjunk 06-20-2017 07:23 PM

Help with outside mirror location

1 Attachment(s)
Could someone measure a truck for me, from the front edge of the door to the first mirror screw on each door. I'm putting the 67-70 style small mirrors on my 69 K/20, but don't have a truck to get Dimensions off of. All mine are 71-72 styles. Here's the mirror arm I'm using. Thanks

dmjlambert 06-20-2017 07:50 PM

Re: Help with outside mirror location

2 Attachment(s)
It looks like 2-3/4 inch from the leading edge, and 2-13/16 from the top of the door skin.

Joesjunk 06-20-2017 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info, can you measure the drivers side to, it should be different. The mirror is further forward.

Joesjunk 06-20-2017 08:26 PM

Well at least they are different on the 71-72 mirrors

LockDoc 06-21-2017 12:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
-
Here is what mine measured..... The measurements are the same , the mirror arms are different lengths.

LockDoc

dmjlambert 06-21-2017 12:34 AM

Yes, that is interesting. I didn't know that about the different length arms. I went around to the driver's side and measured that and noticed they were the same, so didn't mention it.

un4gvn! 06-21-2017 12:59 AM

I bought a set of mirrors like the ones you have. First thing I noticed was they were made in China. I hated those mirrors so bad. They looked great when the truck wasn't moving. Going down the highway, you couldn't see a thing the way they shook. To change lanes, you had to reach out and hold them from shaking to see if it was safe. I rode with someone who had the old original rusty mirrors and you can see everything fine. Good luck with yours.

YBNORML 06-21-2017 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found lockdoc's pic last week to put a set of these on my 67'. They are after market as well, I've driven the truck quite a bit since then and haven't noticed any excessive shaking, in fact I'm quite happy with them.

Joe, something I do is put a dab of silicone on the backing plate before I install everything. That way if you have to take the mirror off the plate won't fall. It works excellent.

special-K 06-21-2017 06:03 AM

I call these stick mirrors and they are the last of their kind on the 67-70s. GM always used asymmetrical mirrors like this. The early ones were solid rod, then came tube, which vibrates less. I call the 71/72 mirrors car mirrors since they are the same as car mirrors, only longer. Those are where they started being mounted in different positions due to being same dimensions, other than being reversed from each other.

Joesjunk 06-21-2017 07:22 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!!

novice 01-11-2018 11:21 AM

I have an additional question concerning these. I just purchased these style mirrors as well as new doors. I'm getting ready to drill the holes for mounting them. Do you just drill a hole in the 16 gauge door metal? Is that all that holds them? I would think there would be some form of backing plate.

Joesjunk 01-11-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novice (Post 8157826)
I have an additional question concerning these. I just purchased these style mirrors as well as new doors. I'm getting ready to drill the holes for mounting them. Do you just drill a hole in the 16 gauge door metal? Is that all that holds them? I would think there would be some form of backing plate.

YES, there is a backing plate you need

novice 01-11-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesjunk (Post 8157844)
YES, there is a backing plate you need

Okay. One that goes inside of the door?

novice 01-11-2018 12:12 PM

Thank you. I didn't see them at LMC. Got a pair coming from GMCPauls.

jfnar 01-11-2018 12:18 PM

I haven't looked inside my 68 doors yet but on my 64 the backing plates were already welded on the inside but there were no holes in the skin. I just had to drill the holes in the skin to match the plates. It's been too long; I don't remember how I did it to make them match.

LockDoc 01-11-2018 12:44 PM

-
The plates on the '67-'72 trucks weren't welded in. If it originally had that style of mirror, many times you will find the original plates in the bottom of the door. People just took the screws out and let the plates fall to the bottom of the door and installed different mirrors. Same thing with the sport mirrors.

LockDoc

mcmlxix 02-14-2018 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone used the black painted version from aftermarket suppliers?
I'm looking at the large square head for my 1972 K5 Blazer...

Hoodogie 03-18-2018 08:30 PM

did you have reinforcement brackets on the inside of the door?

Andy4639 02-13-2020 10:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I installed mine yesterday. I did find a backing plate inside the door but I decided to make new ones out of the leftover metal I had from the rear corner panel. The one I found was in pretty bad shape. I made a pattern off of it and installed lock nuts and washers. All Stainless steel.
The mirror arms are both the same length also.
:chevy:

bigmac73 02-13-2020 10:22 AM

Andy,
Did you think about hitting the interior of the doors with some OSPHO or other rust converter since you where inside there?

Andy4639 02-13-2020 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Doc's pictures he gives us all a starting point. He is using GM NOS mirrors though.
Doc's:
NOS mirror = Drivers side is 2-5/8" from front of door to center of screw. arm is 9 1/2" long

Passenger side Doc:
2 5/8" front of door with a 10 1/2" arm

Mine:
New after market = Drivers side 31/2". arm is 8" long
Passenger side mine:
3 1/2" from door edge with 8" arm.

But if you buy new aftermarkets they are not the same. I just lined the mirror head up to be even with the vent window channel bar in the door. This way your view is good on either one. The arms sit out far enough so the vent window is functional also. We will have to wait and see how they do driving it since I have no tag yet for it.
:chevy: