The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Carving the Jake-olantern (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=679537)

71Sleeper 08-16-2015 01:59 AM

Carving the Jake-olantern

1 Attachment(s)
With a new change in direction on my build becoming a father/son build I've decided to start a new thread. There are many builds on here that really provide a lot of information and inspiration. Two though stand out to us and the direction we would like to take jake-olantern. The first would be gringoloco - How to: ruin a perfectly good C10. Second is mcbassin - 1969 Short Wide. These two builds provide easy mods that us "do it yourselfers" can apply to our builds.

My son Jacob aka Jake-o-lake wants the paint scheme to be orange. We haven't decided yet on two tone orange and white with white interior or solid orange with black interior. Jake-o-lantern will be getting an LS swap and will be going a couple inches lower keeping the static drop. So let the fun begin.

71Sleeper 08-16-2015 02:05 AM

Re: Carving the Jake-olantern

1 Attachment(s)
Tear down pics

71Sleeper 08-16-2015 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

71Sleeper 08-16-2015 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have my first question of the build. The cross brace that is right behind the rear end that the track bar connects to the bottom of is not square in the frame. The right side is an inch or more aft than the left side. Is this correct placement from the factory? The frame does not look to be twisted or damaged in anyway.

cooperhw 08-16-2015 10:10 AM

They are all like that. Keeps em from racking is my opinion. You will probably notice and bend up on the top frame rail up front passenger side near the motor mount. they all got em, and nobody knows why.
Cool build. Building memories, not a truck. Treasure the time spent.

71Sleeper 08-20-2015 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7275292)
They are all like that. Keeps em from racking is my opinion. You will probably notice and bend up on the top frame rail up front passenger side near the motor mount. they all got em, and nobody knows why.
Cool build. Building memories, not a truck. Treasure the time spent.

Thanks! I was getting worried that the frame might had been bent a little. Been trying to sale off a few parts this week so I can order CaptFab's D-52 disc brake conversion and c-notch for the frame. It's about time to introduce a grinder to my son. :lol: Yes, we are building memories just sometimes I have to set back and try my best to show a little patience.:smoke:

cooperhw 08-20-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Sleeper (Post 7279301)
Thanks! I was getting worried that the frame might had been bent a little. Been trying to sale off a few parts this week so I can order CaptFab's D-52 disc brake conversion and c-notch for the frame. It's about time to introduce a grinder to my son. :lol: Yes, we are building memories just sometimes I have to set back and try my best to show a little patience.:smoke:

Put some big welding gloves on him. Take that grinder and set a t-shirt on the ground. Hit the trigger and touch the t-shirt. Tell him that is what will happen to him if he touches his own shirt with the grinder except it will then go through the shirt and slice a nice gash in his belly. (Ask me how I know):lol:

c10Dream'n 08-20-2015 03:07 PM

sounds like a good time of bonding. yes patience will be key with this build. I have my 7 and 5 yr old boys I do things around the house with, and I too need patience when showing them things. look forward to the build.

Justin@EntropyRad 08-20-2015 03:36 PM

The crooked crossmember gets me every time

Killer project!

71Sleeper 08-20-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7279613)
Put some big welding gloves on him. Take that grinder and set a t-shirt on the ground. Hit the trigger and touch the t-shirt. Tell him that is what will happen to him if he touches his own shirt with the grinder except it will then go through the shirt and slice a nice gash in his belly. (Ask me how I know):lol:

That's a really good ideal on the shirt example. I will surely use it before I put the grinder in his hands. We will be grinding this weekend.

71Sleeper 08-20-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10Dream'n (Post 7279822)
sounds like a good time of bonding. yes patience will be key with this build. I have my 7 and 5 yr old boys I do things around the house with, and I too need patience when showing them things. look forward to the build.

I bought this truck 3 years ago and I was able to Force him to help me some. But he had barely any interest in it at the time because all he wanted to do was play and watch sports. Now that driving age is right around the corner he is all over it. Funny how quick priorities change.:lol: I guess it's better late then never to the party.

cooperhw 08-21-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Sleeper (Post 7280036)
I bought this truck 3 years ago and I was able to Force him to help me some. But he had barely any interest in it at the time because all he wanted to do was play and watch sports. Now that driving age is right around the corner he is all over it. Funny how quick priorities change.:lol: I guess it's better late then never to the party.

ain't that the truth. Show him right where his soon to be girlfriend will sit and he'll really perk up.

Advanced Design 08-21-2015 10:08 AM

Awesome for you guys! I was fortunate to have father and son projects when I was young....mostly bulldozer and tractor repairs. We never did a car or truck build. Even so, it really contributed to my technical knowledge.
Will be tagging along!

71Sleeper 08-21-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7280615)
Awesome for you guys! I was fortunate to have father and son projects when I was young....mostly bulldozer and tractor repairs. We never did a car or truck build. Even so, it really contributed to my technical knowledge.
Will be tagging along!

Yes, I just want to share some of my knowledge with him just like what was past onto me. I know he will probably not be a full fledge gear head but I want him to know basic mechanics. I tell him being well rounded is the key to success.

knomadd 08-21-2015 01:02 PM

This sounds like a fun build. I'll follow along.

71Sleeper 08-23-2015 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After taking about 10 minutes of showing Jake some of the things not to do with a grinder, it took me another 10 minutes to convince him that it was safe to use.:lol:

71Sleeper 08-23-2015 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a couple rivets he figured out how to handle the grinder pretty well.

71Sleeper 08-23-2015 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Air punch really makes quick work of the rivets.

71Sleeper 08-23-2015 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to remember if I was I as clumsy with tools when I first start out using them. This is almost painful to watch. :smoke:

71Sleeper 08-23-2015 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This will be a slow process because I plan to make sure Jake is involved with every step. The trans member is out, the drive shaft, the rear coil springs and shocks but we ran into a snag with the arms because my tool collection doesn't go big enough. :sumo: so we stopped for today.

Metaldoc 08-24-2015 09:08 AM

safety glasses, hearing protection and flip flops?

Justin@EntropyRad 08-24-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7280594)
ain't that the truth. Show him right where his soon to be girlfriend will sit and he'll really perk up.

LOL, awesome

knomadd 08-24-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 7285881)

That's what I was thinking... I bet he won't do that again once a hot spark or two lands between his toes. :lol:

Glad to see you're teaching the next generation how to work on old trucks. Slow is good, especially when you're creating another gearhead! :metal:

71Sleeper 08-24-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 7285881)

Like the saying goes "you can lead a blind horse to water but you can't make him drink". I told him to get some shoes on and flip flop is what he came out with. His excuse was didn't want to mess up any of his shoes. I figured he could learn this one the hard way.:mm:

Twisted78SS 08-24-2015 05:17 PM

this story sounds pretty familiar to many of us I'm sure... Looks like a nice foundation to build a cool truck, and 'the big book of tall tales' to go along with it..