The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fix some of the understeer? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=763306)

bennylava 05-06-2018 07:10 AM

Fix some of the understeer?

As I'm sure most of you are aware, these truck suffer from some degree of understeer. I'd just like to know if anyone here ever did anything to correct it. About the only thing I can think of, would be changing the gear ratios in the steering box. But maybe someone else has some other ideas.

kipps 05-06-2018 02:48 PM

Re: Fix some of the understeer?

A quick google search says front-heavy vehicles tend to understeer. Possibly a rear fuel tank instead of side-saddle tanks? Move the battery to the bed? Use a fiberglass doghouse? Maybe a Corvette transaxle?

Personally, I don't care. Mine's a 3/4 ton 4wd work truck. I'm just throwin' out a few hair-brained ideas.

Edit to add: steering ratio should have nothing to do with under or over steer. I'm pretty sure it's all about tires, weight distribution, and suspension(including frame flex).

Kudzupatch 05-06-2018 05:05 PM

Steering box change will not have any effect on handling because it will not change suspension geometry which is what you need to change.

To change the handling your are going to have to change the suspension. Best bang for the buck is sway bars. Lot of things you can change and you spend as much money as want improving handling.

SCOTI 05-07-2018 10:03 AM

Factory alignment specs favor under-steer as a safety net.

C10's usually call for +.5 camber w/o wearing the tires. I do -.5 camber. It makes a difference. Lowering the center of gravity & a 1.25" sway-bar also helps.

cadillac_al 05-07-2018 07:24 PM

That's why everybody needs 2 vehicles. A car to race around with and a truck to haul stuff.

SCOTI 05-07-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 8256484)
That's why everybody needs 2 vehicles. A car to race around with and a truck to haul stuff.

I zip around corners just fine & can stll haul whatever in my CC dually. Just because the factory didn't optimize their potential doesn't mean we can't. My dually drives/rides like a much smaller truck.

Kudzupatch 05-08-2018 09:36 AM

My Suburban is lowered with front and rear sway bars. Other than lowering it, the suspension is pretty stock except for urethane sway bar bushings. It will surprise you how well it corners and how flat it stays. When you push it till it slips, it understeers, that is just normal for most of them.

Bluestep 05-23-2018 05:20 PM

A good rear sway bar and rebound clips on the leaf springs will help a lot.
I put a sway bar off of a '95 Nissan Pathfinder on my '74 Chevy 1/2 ton along with new rebound clips . This made the biggest improvement in the handling.
The very first thing to do is to check for "play" or movement in all the suspension (front and rear) and steering linkage parts and repair as needed. Shocks and tires affect handling and ride comfort a great deal. I think for the most part the suspensions on these pickups are pretty good other than the missing sway bar(s), which is common for most manufacturers. The current trend of spending a fortune to replace all the suspension with after market parts is really unnecessary if your goal is to have a good handling pickup. I love the way my pickup handles now after these and other changes. I like tossing it around the roundabouts near my house.

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-23-2018 10:58 PM

On another forum there was a make in handle thread, and I did everything it mentioned on my C20. Before it became my K20.

1 move the lower a arm forward 3/4 to 1 inch forward. This helps with camber gain in corners helping push the truck out of the corner.

2 you can lower the upper A arm down 1/2 inch. I forgot what this does.

Then the obvious like drop springs, spindles, and good shocks.

SCOTI 05-24-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8267276)
On another forum there was a make in handle thread, and I did everything it mentioned on my C20. Before it became my K20.

1 move the lower a arm forward 3/4 to 1 inch forward. This helps with camber gain in corners helping push the truck out of the corner.

2 you can lower the upper A arm down 1/2 inch. I forgot what this does.

Then the obvious like drop springs, spindles, and good shocks.

#1 Improves caster. These trucks were limited in their caster range.
#2 Improves the camber curve. It's similar to the 'Gulstrand mod' many early f-body owners did.

jkk 05-25-2018 09:42 PM

Put front and rear sway bars on it will make a diffrence