The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

shortbed70 03-10-2009 09:47 PM

MY build thread...

5 Attachment(s)
OK well It could take a while but it finally got started so here are some pics.
1965 swb,3.73 posi,361sbc\91 700r4. Heres some when I brought it home and some progress yesterday.

shortbed70 03-10-2009 09:54 PM

Re: MY build thread...

4 Attachment(s)
Heres some of some other work besides putting my wheels on it. The door gaps are good a little wide for me maybe I'll fix later. Hood seam going byby. My motors almost done and lastly saving myself 150.00 on a new core support. This is going to be done on a SCARCE budget.

TwiggyTheDrummer 03-10-2009 10:05 PM

Not bad man. Now get that rust off and seal it with some etching primer! Good looking engine. What color are you going to use?

collins10672 03-10-2009 10:06 PM

looks like a clean truck to me.good looking builder.good luck on your project.

shortbed70 03-10-2009 10:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I have a 65 thats in my photo but when I tore it apart in september last year WOW was I surprised with all the ROT, so I bought this 64 and WOW was I surprised how straight and rust free it was. I am going to hand strip the spots this guy mudded and use a stud gun to lessen the amount of bondo used and I have to put two cab corner sections on but thats it for rust. As for color it is going to be something like whats on the cadillac sports car kind of a candy red close to the color on the motor. I cant wait to get this thing running. I've always wanted my own build thread,Thanks to all on the board that have theres going to inspire me. Heres some pics of the old truck\donor now.

TwiggyTheDrummer 03-10-2009 10:42 PM

It doesn't sound like too bad of a rust issue though. Looking forward to watching the build up.

shortbed70 03-10-2009 11:00 PM

My 65(the red truck) is the basket case the gray and blue truck is getting donor parts from the red truck. Thanks for the encouragement guys hopefully this weekend when it warms up I can get more done.

protrash64 03-11-2009 11:58 PM

Cool to see it get started...post up your progress.:metal:

jchav62 03-12-2009 09:13 AM

Looking good! Can't wait to see this one come together. Keep us posted...

Dinos63 03-12-2009 09:21 AM

nice start, and nice bullet(motor)

shortbed70 03-13-2009 09:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Heres some stuff I did tonight, Hood seam gone,all my wheels on it, and rad core finished.

Alan's Classic 03-13-2009 10:23 PM

Nice work. Can't wait for more progress!!

protrash64 03-13-2009 11:00 PM

Ok, to be clear....you are using the old truck for parts? That sucks you had to do that but in the long run it could be better.

Nice lighting in the shop:thumbs:

shortbed70 03-13-2009 11:23 PM

Well kind of recycling and trading, like the core support I fixed came off the 65(red one) and will be used on the 64(gray/blue) and the cowl panel will be used from 65 to 64. I might be selling the 65 to my father in law who still thinks he can build it for what it cost in the late 70's but he wants it anyway so I cant turn down money plus I know I can fix it if someone else pays for it plus it would be nice to see it stay close. Thanks for the comments and a word of advise to anyone wanting to weld the seam on the hood, be patient it takes a long time...

protrash64 03-13-2009 11:31 PM

Gotchya.....I remember when you started tearing into the original truck and found all the rot. The pics with the wheels on the new one confused me; I thought you put your new cab on the old frame. Did you get your engine assembled? I read all the roller stuff you were asking about over in the engine section.

shortbed70 03-14-2009 09:27 PM

Yes the engine is done for the most part just have to put new pan and timing cover on and shes done. It doesn't have the roller cam I wanted so I stuck with the hydraulic that was in it. Well this truck was too good to take apart so I will be keeping it togather and the other truck will be parted or I might sell to my father in law if he can come up with the money. If you've seen the other posts then you know some of the rust issues that we all know usually go deeper than they look. Some day if I feel good I will put the pan and timing cover on the motor and bag it up but for now it sets dormant. Today I brought another load of crap home after about 2 hrs of fighting frozen brakes and flat tires and soft ground its on the trailer. I will get pics tomarrow of the other bed for the 64 that might be for sale???

protrash64 03-15-2009 12:42 AM

Hey, I just saw a zinc additive you can get for flat tappet break-in to protect those cams. I think alot of people were mentioning problems with flattening lobes. Cant wait to see it all come together.

Corts60 03-15-2009 12:50 AM

Ooh, I like the smooth hood look.....

Alan's Classic 03-15-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3196298)
Thanks for the comments and a word of advise to anyone wanting to weld the seam on the hood, be patient it takes a long time...

I haven't done the hood yet, but the bedside took some time. I thought since the metal was thicker I could stay on it a little longer....not true I had a little distortion. So, yes be patient.

shortbed70 03-15-2009 11:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well the cam was broke in years ago. This wasn't a complete rebuild because the motor ihas very low miles since I bought it new in the truck. Heres some pics from what I got yesterday. All but the bed is going to scrap monday evening.

Captainfab 03-15-2009 04:04 PM

Looks like there is quite a bit of useable parts there that someone could use. It would be a shame to see it go to the scrap yard. Have you thought about posting it in the classifieds here?

72BlckButy 03-15-2009 05:16 PM

Great looking project!

TimE 03-15-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3199055)
Looks like there is quite a bit of useable parts there that someone could use. It would be a shame to see it go to the scrap yard. Have you thought about posting it in the classifieds here?

I agree. Plus, there will be things that you didn't even know you should have kept until later.

shortbed70 03-15-2009 11:14 PM

I cant hold onto this thing the trailer has to go back to work next week and I have another project showing up next week for work so I have no room. If anybody wants it the price is right at 75.00 scrap price here. I agree there are a few good parts but I haven't had any luck selling anything on the classifieds in a resonable amount of time and right now I have none. BTW I just looked at the pics again and they make the truck look BETTER than it is! Good parts maybe a door (already have one for sale) bed step,axle maybe,everything else is rusted or damaged in some way or another.

shortbed70 03-17-2009 09:41 PM

Haven't got anything done latley due to working on a buddys dirt mod for this weekend if the weather stays nice. I did make some nockout slugs to fill some un needed holes that I will do the pass cowl hole this weekend and maybe clean around the door handles prepping for shaving.