The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Power steering pressure hose ??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750457)

6T7 C10 11-13-2017 11:07 PM

Power steering pressure hose ???

Hello everyone. I have a question that I have not found an answer on. I have a 67 C10 that I am building and I installed a 68+ power steering gear box and I have a serpentine belt system from GMPP that is based on 90-95 models. The gearbox hose is SAE 5/8 male inverted flare and the pump is metric 18mm male o-ring. I got one of those adapters and it always leaks and I have not even started the truck yet. I did read you could swap outlet fittings on the pump but I do not have an old pump and did not see a fitting available online. I am about to buy a pressure hose for each system and take it to a place and have them spice the two good ends together to make one hose. I already stopped by my local NAPA and while they do hydraulic hoses they will not touch a steering hose. Anyone else tackle this issue with good results?

Chevy4Life 11-13-2017 11:26 PM

Re: Power steering pressure hose ???

1 Attachment(s)
You just need the fitting that screws into the back of the pump. If you have a junkyard nearby it should be easy to find one. Ill look for an online source for a new one though. Pretty sure most GM Full size cars and trucks used the same flare fitting untill 1979-80 or so. OR you can use a newer truck steering gear that has the metric fittings, and you could possibly get a better ratio or variable ratio gear box depending on what gear you have now.

mud.man.rj 11-14-2017 12:16 AM

My thinking too, have done it quite a few builds. $ saver.
Mudman.

6T7 C10 11-14-2017 08:14 AM

Great pics Chevy4Life. I will take make a new attempt and see what I can come up with. Thank you.

Chevy4Life 11-14-2017 08:28 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-79-GM-...lXGPKd&vxp=mtr

I think this is it but you should contact inlinetube to be sure. I'd still try to find a used one because $28 is steep to me.

6T7 C10 11-14-2017 09:49 PM

Thank you again for the information and example of what I am after. While pricy it is cheaper than buying two hoses and paying a shop to make one out of it and it is cheaper than my time and gas to go junk yarding an hour and a half away. I will certainly check it out and consider it.

Chevy4Life 11-14-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6T7 C10 (Post 8082595)
Thank you again for the information and example of what I am after. While pricy it is cheaper than buying two hoses and paying a shop to make one out of it and it is cheaper than my time and gas to go junk yarding an hour and a half away. I will certainly check it out and consider it.

Yeh I completely understand. Plus if you or a future owner needed to replace it you won't need a custom made hose. I'll probably be at a JY sometime this week, if I run across one I'll let you know.

nikwho 11-17-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life (Post 8081950)
You just need the fitting that screws into the back of the pump. If you have a junkyard nearby it should be easy to find one. Ill look for an online source for a new one though. Pretty sure most GM Full size cars and trucks used the same flare fitting untill 1979-80 or so. OR you can use a newer truck steering gear that has the metric fittings, and you could possibly get a better ratio or variable ratio gear box depending on what gear you have now.

I just figured this out myself! I was pretty perplexed, as I needed a pump to match the newer metric o-ring fitting lines on my '68, but was trying to use my existing latest bullet and those features are separated by years. I had conceded to buying a new press fit pulley, yet my older style reservoir was going to clear my Summit Racing aluminum alternator mount better than the newer reservoir. So, while i was trying to switch the reservoirs, i realized that the fittings for the lines were seemingly identical. So, all i needed to do was swap the 5\8" flare fitting out for the 16mm o-ring fitting that matched my power steering limes. I would like to find a good cheap source for the fittings now!

6T7 C10 11-17-2017 03:25 PM

I did order the fitting mentioned above. I will try to report back with my findings once it is received and installed.