The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   quarajet choke/vac question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=692883)

midniteblues 12-27-2015 02:33 PM

quarajet choke/vac question

1 Attachment(s)
When I got this 71 4x4 the po told me the engine was seized.
I got it to turn.
Fuel pump, tank,and a under hood harness it fired up.
But ran rough.

Not screwing around with the old distributer I threw in hei an wired it correctly.

The way the tank looked I figured I would pull the quad apart an clean it up.

Back together again and it runs but I'm not sure on this choke set up.

The hose going into the bore, where should it be connected to?

I'm still trying to get it to run better an have a few more checks/try outs to do but this choke hose I don't know about

Pretty much every hook up to the engine was stripped when I got it.

I seem to recall that hose going to a steel line that went into the intake crossover on other motors.
But this one doesn't have the lines coming out from the hole.

midniteblues 12-27-2015 02:39 PM

Re: quarajet choke/vac question

2 Attachment(s)
More pics.

I don't have much experience with quarajets I'm a holley guy but use anything that works:lol:

My first not rite side up pics from a phone boo!

trac209 12-27-2015 03:25 PM

From the looks of the bottom pic you've got a hot air choke and are missing the factory choke rod coming out of manifold. And yes that hose would normally collect hot air from intake line which you also don't have. What I would do it get an electric choke and run the wire from that to a keyed ignition source. Also looks like your choke pull off isn't connected,that's the little vac diaphragm on the side. It connects to the little vac port right above that your carb has blocked off

davepl 12-27-2015 03:50 PM

Just a tip, I always ground my electric choke through the oil pressure sender (if it's an idiot light). That way the choke only heats when you're actually running. Otherwise if you leave the key on but not running it'll heat the choke when the engine's still cold.

midniteblues 12-27-2015 07:27 PM

Ok thanks fella's, it seems I have a jy running coming up to scrounge up some parts then.

I figured it was missing all that but it's been quite awhile since I had a oe intake and a quad on anything.

Tore into this engine a few weeks ago an with the holidays and hunting season i left it sit. But with this warm weather we've had I figure it's time to put it back together.

I had a he'll of a time getting the hei distributer back in on tdc plus the tightness of the firewall on a 4x4.
It's tough for a 6'3" guy to get up in the engine bay to turn the oil pump shaft.
I couldn't see down in there so had to go by feel. But I got it dead on tonite after the 9th try:lol:

After all is said an done this truck is gonna get stripped down anyway when I'm ready I just wanna keep it whole an running till then.

Stay tuned for my next thread

ray_mcavoy 12-27-2015 08:05 PM

Ditto what trac209 and davepl said.

I also noticed that your intake manifold is the style that was originally used with a divorced choke. It has the flat pad for mounting a choke thermostat. As a result, that intake will not accept the hot air tube that's used with the hot air choke on your carb. So that leaves converting to an electric or manual choke as your only options with that particular carb/intake combo.

midniteblues 12-27-2015 08:52 PM

dang well that puts a damper on things

anybody got info on how to do a manual choke on a quad

thanks for the info

ray_mcavoy 12-27-2015 09:01 PM

Either a manual or electric choke is an easy bolt-on swap for your hot air choke equipped carb. You basically just take out 3 little screws to remove the black plastic cap / thermostat coil assembly from the side of the carb and replace it with the manual adapter or electric thermostat from the kit.

Here's an example of a manual choke conversion kit --> http://www.tooltopia.com/wilmar-w511c.aspx

midniteblues 12-27-2015 09:07 PM

iirc isnt there a small hole on the inside of the choke housing that leads to the throttle bore that could cause a vac leak.
im guessing in that kit could be a plug for it.