The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vent window repair kit? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=131916)

TugOwar 12-17-2004 02:13 AM

Vent window repair kit?

I know I saw some where, maybe at one of the board vendors, a kit for repairing vent windows. It included the rivets and everything else to repair both sides. Damned if I can find it now. :banghead:

Anyone know what I'm talking about or was I dreaming? :confused:

4x4Poet 12-17-2004 04:59 AM

LMC Truck catalog CB.38 page 18, item 9, p/n 30-2740, Vent Window Repair Kit, $9.95.

I'm sure they're not the only vendor. :flag:

Tim Christian 12-17-2004 05:16 AM

I have them in stock. PM me if I can help you. Thanks Tim

TugOwar 12-17-2004 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies.

PM sent Tim.

72CSTC5 12-17-2004 05:20 PM

Good luck putting the rivets back in. Unless I was doing it wrong it was pure hell. Maybe you will have better luck with yours. IF you succeed let me know.

Blue Beard 12-17-2004 08:10 PM

Does LMC have the kit for the 73-84 trucks as well?

TugOwar 12-17-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
Good luck putting the rivets back in. Unless I was doing it wrong it was pure hell. Maybe you will have better luck with yours. IF you succeed let me know.

I hope it's not that difficult man. Could you be more specific? What seemed to be the problem? I will let you know how it turns out.

72CSTC5 12-17-2004 09:04 PM

For some reason I could not get the rivets to crush and go thru the frame. I also thought about using aluminum rivets and could not get a rivet gun head small enough to go in there. I just gave up! I consider myself to be pretty mechanically inclined too since I do bodywork.

GMCPaul 12-18-2004 04:09 AM

72CSTC5 being a body man you most likely have access to a welder, take the blind rivet installation tool and cut it till its only about 3/8" long, grab a inexpensive C-Clamp and weld the rivet installation tool to it so when you screw it shut it crushes the rivet. Best method I know of and eliminates need for 2 people.
We stock them and you'll find them on this page of our site for $9.95 a set, which includes rivet installation tool, hinge pivot rivets, vent window rubber installation rivets and SS vent window to door pillar screws ( sorry no C-Clamp included ) .
http://www.gmcpauls.com/door_parts11.htm
GMCPaul

72ChevyRock 12-19-2004 12:09 PM

Yes, they are hell to put in; therefore they suck.

Yes, they are hell to put in; therefore they suck. I had my driver's side vent window securely clamped and my wife helped by stabilizing the channel so that it would not move as I slowly began tapping the rivots into place. After thirty minutes of tapping, the STEEL (!@#$!@#~!@#@~@!#) rivots didn't have a dent in them. So, then I made two small incisions in each side of the rivot to get them started in rolling on the edges. It worked, but it was still a slow process. Then, an hour later after carefully installing a couple more rivots, I got to my pivot rivot on the glass and wouldn't you know it, the arm snapped. I threw the repair kit in the garbage and now I have a good looking (non pivoting vent window). Thanks "Mr. I-invented-a-stupid-vent-window-repair-kit-man" for wasting my time and money. :flag:

zooza 12-19-2004 06:15 PM

does this repair fix the bottom pivot or is that welded to the channel? both of mine are broken. I supposedly have a couple coming but am getting impatient.

72ChevyRock 12-20-2004 10:19 AM

It is rivoted.

The vent window frame is actually two pieces. It would be to your benefit to drill out all the rivots holding the two pieces together to make it easier when installing new rubber on the channel backing. I had to do mine that way because of a corrosion issue. I had to soak the assembly in a de-rusting solution and then sand, prime, and paint. They look great. Unfortunately, my pivot arm snapped when trying to install the rivot with the "so-called repair kit." Just be careful and be sure to use the c-clamp with caution. I used one, but it didn't cooperate with me.

72ChevyRock 12-20-2004 10:23 AM

Athey's is speedy when ordering parts like the repair kit.

72CSTC5 12-20-2004 02:16 PM

GMC Paul thanks for the info. It seems as if your idea will work. I didn't think I would ever forget how to do that. Thanks a bunch.

frankyjoet 02-26-2014 02:12 AM

Re: Vent window repair kit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Christian (Post 1054165)
I have them in stock. PM me if I can help you. Thanks Tim

Hi Tim. is this kit for a 73 gmc c2500? if yes interested. i checked lcm truck cat part wasn't listed. i need the 4 washers and pivot. thanks for any help. frankyjoet

frankyjoet 02-26-2014 02:22 AM

Hi tim, new at this. have a 73 gmc c2500 and have question about this repair kit. i checked lcm cat and the part wasn't listed. i need the 4 special washers and the spring pivot. thanks for any help. frankyjoet:gmc2:

c10Dream'n 02-26-2014 11:11 AM

hey frankyjoet, you might have better luck sending Tim a Private message. that way when he logs on he can see he has a message waiting from you rather than him clicking on the thread and possibly not even seeing the thread. Just trying to help. take care.

russgoodman 02-26-2014 11:40 AM

Its also a 10 year old thread so keep that in mind if he doesn't reply quickly.

Fulch 09-25-2014 09:56 PM

I bought a repair kit and like everyone mentions, it is a difficult procedure. My question is the pivot rivet, it seems mine is not long enough to go though everything to include the new rubber. I have a 1963 gmc pick up. Any suggestions would be great.

67ctener 09-25-2014 11:38 PM

I decided to re build mine. Had everything re chromed, new glasss etc... Couldn't get the pivot rivet to seat right and ended up bending the frame. Threw it all in the garbage I was so frustrated. Bought new re pops and they fit like garbage. Finally bought a set from roger Koop and they are beautiful. Totally flawless, not sure how he does it but in my eyes it's a specialty skill. Only advice I have is save your time, money and frustration and buy a set from him.

frankyjoet 09-25-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulch (Post 6856870)
I bought a repair kit and like everyone mentions, it is a difficult procedure. My question is the pivot rivet, it seems mine is not long enough to go though everything to include the new rubber. I have a 1963 gmc pick up. Any suggestions would be great.

hey fulch, i went to Autozone and bought a package of rivets, all sizes and the tool to put it on the hinge. i had no problems installing the rivet. i went the repair kit way and it was waste of time. i have 73 gmc with vent windows, i am not sure if your 63 has a similar vent window. hope this helps franyjoet

leddzepp 09-26-2014 12:34 AM

Do not remove the pivot rivet. Instead, remove the two rivets that attach the arm to the frame that the pivot rivet sits in. Use pop rivets to reinstall it, as well as the other rivets. A pop rivet tool is dirt cheap at harbor freight. As another mentioned it does not fit in the frame to be able to install the rivets...simply use a bench grinder to buzz it down on the sides to narrow it enough to fit right in. I've done several sets this way and to is by far the easiest and most economical way to do it.

70LonghornCST 09-26-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6857071)
Do not remove the pivot rivet. Instead, remove the two rivets that attach the arm to the frame that the pivot rivet sits in. Use pop rivets to reinstall it, as well as the other rivets. A pop rivet tool is dirt cheap at harbor freight. As another mentioned it does not fit in the frame to be able to install the rivets...simply use a bench grinder to buzz it down on the sides to narrow it enough to fit right in. I've done several sets this way and to is by far the easiest and most economical way to do it.

:agree: That's how I rebuilt mine. I left that rivet alone. I learned the hard way a while back on a pair of black frames. This last time, I left the pivot alone and pop-riveted the rest back in like leddzepp mentioned. It was very easy.

POPO1984 09-26-2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 6857105)
:agree: That's how I rebuilt mine. I left that rivet alone. I learned the hard way a while back on a pair of black frames. This last time, I left the pivot alone and pop-riveted the rest back in like leddzepp mentioned. It was very easy.

Same thing hear but Im gonna pull it back apart and chrome it the way it should be.

Fulch 09-26-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankyjoet (Post 6857036)
hey fulch, i went to Autozone and bought a package of rivets, all sizes and the tool to put it on the hinge. i had no problems installing the rivet. i went the repair kit way and it was waste of time. i have 73 gmc with vent windows, i am not sure if your 63 has a similar vent window. hope this helps franyjoet

Thanks I was thinking about that last night.