The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   WIW (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   '72 barn find (kinda) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733665)

TxGoats 03-25-2017 12:27 AM

'72 barn find (kinda)

I looked at a '72 C10 yesterday. I'm thinking about buying it, it has been sitting for 6-7 years. The gentleman that owns it is elderly and when he lost his sight he parked it in the barn.
The truck is totally rust free, restoration was about 15 years ago, crate motor, cab corners and rockers redone so no rust. 350 automatic with factory tilt wheel and dash tach. The interior is immaculate and the rest of the truck is under 1/2" of dust and muddobber nests.
The kicker is, it has an '89 sportside bed on it. Not my favorite but the cab is so nice I'm considering it.
I don't want to insult the gentleman with too low an offer, any ideas?
It will need a complete detail cleaning, tires, hoses and belts. What should I offer the guy?

wbc409 03-25-2017 04:08 AM

Re: '72 barn find (kinda)

With it sitting that long and obviously not taken care of, like starting it regularly. there could be a lot of mechanical issues. If the truck wasn't put into storage correctly, brakes and engine could be locked up. The carb will need to be rebuilt, check the fluid in the tranny before starting the engine, if you don't you could burn up the tranny if doesn't already need to be rebuilt. The tires are probably dry rotted. Price could change a lot based on whether you can drive it, or it has to be towed home. You need to go into this expecting to have to do a bunch of mechanical work to make it a safe reliable driver.

toolboxchev 03-25-2017 07:13 AM

X2 on that, the adage goes a rolling stone gathers no moss. and rust never sleeps.

Boog 03-25-2017 07:53 AM

A lot of problems can be hiding under all that dust. A resto 15 years ago is good and all but rust and corrosion has had plenty of time to creep back into previously repaired areas. Things to expect to have to repair/replace are radiator, brakes, fuel tanks and lines, etc. Sitting is hard on vehicles. Buyer beware.

TxGoats 03-25-2017 08:35 AM

He finally told me he wants 15k for it, I'm a long way from that number but I told him I would think about it and make him an offer. Starting point? I'm thinking $7500.00 but not decided.

saxart 03-25-2017 08:53 AM

Walk away.. No wait.. RUN!!!

Moose Monkey 03-25-2017 09:27 AM

Throw 3 at him and walk away. That way you will have money for the bed

Ol Blue K20 03-25-2017 10:23 AM

Any pics? It would be cool to see it . His price is way too high after sitting this long.

truckman72 03-25-2017 10:24 AM

Any photos of the truck?

fine69 03-25-2017 12:59 PM

Sounds ridiculous for that price. Without the original bed?

TxGoats 03-26-2017 06:47 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

TxGoats 03-26-2017 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty crowded in there but here u go

leddzepp 03-26-2017 07:20 PM

Nowhere near 15K. I wouldn't even waste time with an offer, I'd keep looking unless you think he will come waaayyyy down on price.

custom10nut 03-26-2017 11:54 PM

You're only getting half the truck. The other half is "someone's idea of custom".
Couple that with all the reservations mentioned already? This guy watches too much Barret's Auctions.

El Dorado Jim 03-27-2017 01:27 AM

$4000.00 tops!!

Ken B 03-27-2017 06:34 AM

I agree with the guys, close your eyes and walk away.....

FleetsidePaul 03-27-2017 03:11 PM

15K, i think he lost more than his sight.

GR8-68 03-27-2017 04:32 PM

Wow !! I hope I never try to sell my truck the way people hammer on others about the price tag on a truck. I am not thinking it is worth 15k but what makes it worth any less than some of the others you see sold around here ? So by the two pictures (which are about the same shot), all the experts have determined it isn't even worth buying :smoke:

I am not seeing where it looks so bad myself, I do not care for the newer bed neither but I have seen those on here plenty. It looks like it would clean up well to me, I would talk to him and see if he would allow it to be started, it may or may not and then determine what it may be worth. In the end it is really up to you and what you are willing to pay for what.

wbc409 03-27-2017 04:54 PM

If you think he might be reasonable. Try talking to him and see if it will turn over by hand first, before trying to start the truck. He probably wants 15 because of all the money he put into it before parking it. Try to explain to him what your concerns are, and how much it will take to get the truck running again. It doesn't hurt to try, but bring cash, and be prepared to walk away.

TxGoats 03-27-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbc409 (Post 7898296)
If you think he might be reasonable. Try talking to him and see if it will turn over by hand first, before trying to start the truck. He probably wants 15 because of all the money he put into it before parking it. Try to explain to him what your concerns are, and how much it will take to get the truck running again. It doesn't hurt to try, but bring cash, and be prepared to walk away.

Thanks, I think I will do just that. I can fix everything but rust if the motor turns. I can buy a bed. I'll see how it goes.

wbc409 03-27-2017 06:36 PM

Go prepared, write down a list of what it will take to get the truck running. Break it down like a receipt and include prices. Take the time to actually get real prices. Don't forget, the tires will probably look good being parked in a building, but they are probably bad also. All tires have a date code on them. He might be more willing to bargain if you have physical documents showing how much you expect to have to spend to get it running and make it safe.

Already Gone 03-27-2017 07:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GR8-68 (Post 7898275)
Wow !! I hope I never try to sell my truck the way people hammer on others about the price tag on a truck. I am not thinking it is worth 15k but what makes it worth any less than some of the others you see sold around here ? So by the two pictures (which are about the same shot), all the experts have determined it isn't even worth buying :smoke:

I am not seeing where it looks so bad myself, I do not care for the newer bed neither but I have seen those on here plenty. It looks like it would clean up well to me, I would talk to him and see if he would allow it to be started, it may or may not and then determine what it may be worth. In the end it is really up to you and what you are willing to pay for what.

A lot of board members, like me, are looking at trucks and prices everyday. I'm not saying that truck isn't with 15k to someone but for 15k I know I could find a running driving more original short step for that money. Case in point. This original 72 Cheyenne Short Step was advertised for 14k when I looked at last summer and there was some wiggle room there. If it had working factory A/C I probably would have bought it and sold my Highlander. With this truck, write the check, jump in , turn the key and rock and roll.

special-K 03-28-2017 06:52 AM

The guy has to be told it may have been worth $15k when last driven, but it's a whole new ball game now. Doesn't matter what it is or who you are, you either get it running, go over it, and get it back to where it was (which may not take much) and get the most or you let someone pay you way less to haul out of there to allow for the time and money they'll have to put into it.

TxGoats 03-28-2017 10:05 AM

I failed to mention, this is a GMC, don't know what difference that makes. I'm going back this weekend to check the motor for movement, check for leaks and get a look underneath. I'll carry cash and be ready to come home with an empty trailer. This deal may take a while, he is very old and doesn't hear well.

DBK81 03-28-2017 11:35 AM

For $15,000 USD you could buy a mint running driving truck in Canada, he's out to lunch by almost double IMO, I hate that the original box isn't there as well. Keep looking, way better out there.