The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Radiator Questions! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735797)

KyleSeal 04-17-2017 11:59 PM

Radiator Questions!

5 Attachment(s)
Well Im in the assembly stage (finally) of my 70. So this brings lot of questions to mind during assembly.

The main one I'm battling right now is the radiator fitment. I have a new core support in my truck from LMC, which actually is working out very good, but the radiator I have (came with truck when bought, looks 'stock') does not fit. Ive read some info on HD mounts (upper/lower) but am still left with some questions.

Does this core support not have the HD lower mounts? What is the measurement for the HD lower mounts? Also, does my radiator look stock? The P/O had removed the lower mounts, bolted (literally) the radiator to the core support and used angle iron to hold it in place, so I have no original reference of fitment with it. See attached photos.

I'm not afraid to cut and install new ones, but before I cut up my nice replacement support I want to know for sure. Also, if it comes down to it and I need to just have something that works, would a 2 or 3 row work okay for a mild cam/stock bottom end 350 V8? Average summer temps in VA are 90-100 June - August.

Thanks in advance.

KyleSeal 04-17-2017 11:59 PM

Re: Radiator Questions!

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.

toolboxchev 04-18-2017 12:05 AM

It appears to me that your radiator is not for your truck. The bottom return is the give away. It should turn toward and up to the center...yours appears to be out out the square body era and your mounts are for a three row radiator possibly.

MIKE77z 04-18-2017 12:16 AM

Doesn't look right to me either, i have a 2 row aluminum replacement from northern rad it fits in the 3 row brackets that came with the blazer that rad you have pictured looks like a rad out of a 6.2 diesel square body truck to me ( those are a 2.5 inch core ) but i could be wrong.

In The Ten Ring 04-18-2017 12:30 AM

I'm facing the same problem. My replacement core support came from a 1970 big block'ed truck and I think all my replacement radiators have lower bracket problems. I may have to fab up something.

I am tempted to order a custom, USA made radiator. "Buy American, hire American, the Trump Effect."

B. W. 04-18-2017 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It looks like your lower rad mounts are 3 core, need 4 core mounts, the rad support must be "massaged" to fit the 4 core mounts. 1st pic is 3 core, 2nd is 4 core.

In The Ten Ring 04-18-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 7918975)
It looks like your lower rad mounts are 3 core, need 4 core mounts, the rad support must be "massaged" to fit the 4 core mounts. 1st pic is 3 core, 2nd is 4 core.

Whoa! Easy solution I guess. Thanks for the pic.

What vendors here carry 4 row lower brackets?

Z10 04-18-2017 11:22 PM

I have this installed in my 72GMC
http://www.speedcooling.com/1967_197..._Radiator.html

Great price and it fits like a glove. I've got 11k miles on it Hot West Texas with zero issues. You can see more pics in my build thread.

:gmc2:

B. W. 04-18-2017 11:37 PM

GMC Pauls, upper bracket 213422, lower 213423, rubber pads 213424. LMC should have them too.

In The Ten Ring 04-18-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 7919602)
GMC Pauls, upper bracket 213422, lower 213423, rubber pads 213424. LMC should have them too.

Hmm. I may actually have those already just not mounted to my core support. Once I get back onto the truck I'll have a look but if not, I'll order some. Thanks!

In The Ten Ring 04-19-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z10 (Post 7919587)
I have this installed in my 72GMC
http://www.speedcooling.com/1967_197..._Radiator.html

Great price and it fits like a glove. I've got 11k miles on it Hot West Texas with zero issues. You can see more pics in my build thread.

:gmc2:

Thank you. I have three replacement radiators already....that is one area where I took in lots of advice from the site and still haven't found a perfect fit. :lol: "Spare parts" is how I view it.

It may just be that I have three row brackets on the bottom, those came attached to the core support. I'll have a look into 4 row lower brackets and go from there.

Already Gone 04-19-2017 12:55 PM

subscribed

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-19-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 7918975)

Bingo, I just went through this. Assuming 4 row radiators were standard with 402 blocks, GM neglected to bend the support so the brackets sit flat.

A crescent wrench works real well OP.

Before:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=5953DE97

After:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a0&oe=5926CA45

VetteVet 04-19-2017 01:52 PM

Mine had a bolt attached to the bottom of the mount that goes through the support but I was lucky, I had four core mounts already installed. I have a three core and a four core radiator but I didn't have the four core top mounts so I used the three core. It was in when the PO had it and it worked fine so I am going to use it.

Also I lost one of the rubber inserts for one of the top ones, and I got creative and taped the support up and filled it with RTV silicon, and it works great.
Then I found the original!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-19-2017 04:14 PM

Whether it was factory or a mechanic I once used, I believe the fact the bottom brackets weren't fitted contributed to one of my top brackets coming apart at the spot welds. I bought all new brackets, repro., from Olympia Wa. guy. Nothing special about original brackets.

KyleSeal 04-21-2017 12:06 AM

HERES THE SOLUTION (I'm the OP'er and I found my solution): my radiator is a stock style 4 row radiator. My LMC core support (in my original post pics) had 2-3 row lower brackets. I needed to get the 4 row lower brackets. A friend of mine had lower brackets from a 1-ton truck, so I removed them and installed them on mine (massaging needed as stated above) and the radiator fits great and is ready to be run. Parts vendors do sell these brackets and they are labeled as "HD brackets".

In The Ten Ring 04-21-2017 01:03 AM

I love the "HERE'S THE SOLUTION" in all caps, it's like something I would type.

HD brackets huh? I am going to have to do that in the next week or so, it's high time to get my truck ready for assembly! Thanks brother!

KyleSeal 04-22-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7921554)
I love the "HERE'S THE SOLUTION" in all caps, it's like something I would type.

HD brackets huh? I am going to have to do that in the next week or so, it's high time to get my truck ready for assembly! Thanks brother!

Not a problem, IMHO theres too many threads where guys asks questions, figure it out on their own and never come back with their answers!