The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Price of a Pickup? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786728)

00chev 05-11-2019 09:26 PM

Price of a Pickup?

i have a few questions that i KNOW i will get some answers here from...

i found a pickup that i am looking into and am curious on your opinion on what this truck may be worth.. it is the following..

96 quad cab dually. has a 6.5 turbo desiel.
GREAT PAINT
GREAT UNDERNEATH (frame and such)
No leaks.
power windows work/locks do not.
has a roll pan..
new compressor.
cold ac

it does have the PMD relocater kit on it for injection pump. a
Also has different Lift pump.

The interior is in my opinion cherry for how old it is..
some dark spots but extremely clean for the tan colored interior.

Issues that i saw after looking truck over for 2 hrs with a friend was..
fuel gauge seems to be stuck on full *witch i saw is a common problem with these pickups*.
i am not truck illiterate.have a lift in my garage and am able to fix/swap whatever.
i have a 65c10 and about 3 daily's i drive... just not so sure on this diesel truck.. i think its worth.....you tell me... THANKS GUYS!!! appreciate the info.

special-K 05-12-2019 07:23 AM

Re: Price of a Pickup?

You can look up book values to back then, can't you? Why not start off with telling us what the asking price is and we can go from there. Even though you described it a good bit, without seeing pictures, inspecting in person, and the various differences in condition a 23 year old truck can have it's pretty hard to pull an anywhere near accurate value out of the sky.

00chev 05-12-2019 08:54 AM

i hear what you are saying.. guy is asking 9k for the truck.. from what i have seen looking around the price seems fair after i try and beat him for for a grand.

shifty 05-13-2019 03:04 PM

"No leaks" - don't believe that one for a minute. These trucks have so many places where the cab leaks water from outside:
  • top of windshield
  • 3rd brake light, the foam deteriorates/cracks and leaks
  • two different places on the cowl, seam sealer on either side by the hinges and the screw above the cowl fresh air intake vent
  • seam sealer above the doors (topmost corner/point)
  • various places on the firewall - electrical bulkheads, antenna grommet, etc.
  • sometimes even from the doors if the drain is plugged

Most common side I've seen water leaks visible is passenger side. If 3rd brake light is leaking (which it inevitably is), it normally pools in the either rear floorboard or sills. If the cowl is leaking, it usually pools in the passenger front floorboard. You may find light rust around the bottom half of the front seat boxes or on the feet of the rear seats. If you see discoloration of the carpet where it meets the plastic foot/sill plates, it's leaked before.

But back to the main question, if you're in PA and it's generally rust-free underneath and the mileage is legit, the dash isn't cracked to bits (check for smaller cracks around the 3 screws along the front of the windshield vent of the dash to see what your future holds), I think 7k-9k is fair enough. Higher end if never been wrecked, actually no leaks, everything power works as expected and clearcoat is actually intact. If clearcoat is peeling, some electronics are bad, shows evidence of some water leaks, it could go the other way.

I'd prefer the diesel in mine. I paid $2700 for my '98 Sierra SLT, fully loaded, all leather with 87k miles on it 1-2 years ago. Inside was pretty rough, cracked dash, saturated carpet. A/C wasn't working but I suspected the compressor was toast ($400-800). Alignment toe was out on passenger front. Paint rough, clearcoat gone. Undercarriage is flawless, and it's never been in a wreck. I would've given up to an extra $2k if it had the 6.5, just for the sake of resale value.

special-K 05-30-2019 06:23 AM

I think $8-9k sounds high. I know people are wanting to jump these trucks up overnight like the squarebodies did, but you need to have an exception truck to get anything better than an older model truck that is not quite classic price. These diesels have a generally bad reputation and that limits interest. Fine one day, broken crank and maybe main webs the next. I've gotten 135k or so from most and 335k from one. My first was an '84 that had 175k when I sold it, so who knows? Some will say do this or do that and they'll be fine, but it's more a matter of luck. That price s double what it's worth if you ask me.

JWall 05-30-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty (Post 8524915)
"No leaks" - don't believe that one for a minute. These trucks have so many places where the cab leaks water from outside:

Most generally take "No Leaks" on an add as no fluid leaks from drive-train not water leaks.

Also, I've owned around 8 of these trucks and never had one leak water into the cab. Guess i'm lucky :lol:

special-K 05-31-2019 06:55 AM

I put vent shades on my '85 and the one on the driver side leaks dead center! Defeats the whole point of vent shades. Just sat out a thunderstorn yesterday and it was dripping on my daggone arm. Going to have to tend to that.

Oh, and I agree. No leaks means no vital fluids. These ain't boats and they don't mean the tires. Just like no smoke isn't talking about the ash tray, brakes, wiring. It may smoke from all those places but not out the tailpipe :cool:

shifty 06-07-2019 08:05 AM

Ah, I didn't think about leaks that way. Glad you guys pointed it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWall (Post 8533958)
Also, I've owned around 8 of these trucks and never had one leak water into the cab. Guess i'm lucky :lol:

Do you normally park under a roof?

My truck has lived its life outside and seen lots of sun and humidity. Definitely seen its fair share of hard labor too. I've rarely seen water leaks if I'm driving or parking for less than an hour or so outside while raining moderately, but if I park the truck outside in the rain overnight the first few months I had it, water was pooled in the floorboards nearly every time. Usually street parking, so passenger side (where the cowl fresh air intake box lives) was lower than driver side.

Basically, after digging into things, what I found was lots of deteriorated foam and rubber, cracked seam sealer - gaskets on firewall and 3rd brake light were crispy and I suspect the foam seal for the fresh air intake in the cowl is shot also (probably my last leak source left), a lot of body seam sealer cracked, especially on either side of the cowl and where the b-pillars meet the roof.

Not sure how this could be avoided on this year range of trucks without a "kinder" climate and/or parking the truck inside its whole life. I've looked at a lot of trucks at the junkyard and found the issues above are pretty consistent in the 95-99ish OBS trucks/SUVs with regards to deteriorated seals and - especially - cracked seam sealer. Sucks, but I guess it is what it is.

Now if I could just solve my driver side b-pillar rattle... (pretty sure it's the way the door is riding on the strike latch post thingy)

PS - if you really want to feel lucky, hit Google with GMT400 rain leak then follow-up with variations like GMT400 passenger water leak and maybe GMT400 blower motor water leak. When you see the dozens (hundreds?) of results, you should feel like a damn lucky dog :D

speedygonzales 06-07-2019 09:57 AM

No leaks

Yes "no leaks" refers to drive train. Not cab.

Look up blue book value and make an offer. The worst he says is no and you make a counter offer.