The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   th350 Transmission Vacuum line to intake??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=502579)

Hazieview 01-09-2012 03:33 PM

th350 Transmission Vacuum line to intake???

Hey does the vaccum line from a th350 transmission hook to your intake? (At least I think it is called a vacuum line :confused:)

Do I need to run a hose from the gold looking thing with the green square to the hole on my intake with the red circle?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...view/trani.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ew/zintake.jpg

Not a trani guy at all. Just need to know if I need to hook that thng there to dilly flop over yonder...? I dont want to put the square block in the round hole if you know what I mean:lol:

beamn7 01-09-2012 03:40 PM

Re: th350 Transmission Vacuum line to intake???

Yes, you are correct. The "gold looking thing" is the Vaccum Modulator....

konakustoms 01-09-2012 03:41 PM

That will work! Thats the way mine is hooked up.

Hazieview 01-09-2012 03:47 PM

Thanks guys, any idea what size hose I need? Everything I have is pretty much braided stainless steel. So if I could find the right size hose in braided stainless steel that would be great!

Will one of these work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-7839/
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...spe-7839_w.jpg
It is 3/8" or would the 5/32 be better?

thanks again!

konakustoms 01-09-2012 04:47 PM

Same size as the modulator on the trani. I would not go smaller ID size. I have used different size ID hose and had no changes as long as ya get it sealed up with no vacuum leaks!

I like to bend solid line and use a short hose at each connection. Vacuum can suck a line closed causing fast shifts & other problems.......Just my 2 cents worth.

Dustin07 09-05-2012 10:26 AM

i just want to say this thread is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. thanks for putting it in "lame" man terms Hazie, I needed that to understand what I was looking at!! LOL :D

LostMy65 01-17-2016 06:34 PM

What does the vacuum modulator thingy do?

rich weyand 01-17-2016 06:47 PM

The vacuum modulator, together with the governor, controls the shift points on the TH350 transmission. All stock TH350s were manufactured the same; their differences in shift characteristics for specific engines and vehicles were set with the governor and modulator.

The governor lives behind a cap secured by a bail on the drivers side of the transmission in front of the tail cone. It is a little widget that spins with the output shaft. There are flyweights and springs on this spinning widget, and when the flyweights overcome the springs and hydraulic pressure, the flyweights push open a rod valve that lives in the center of the governor shaft. Adjusting the governor weights and springs can be done to adjust the wide-open throttle shift points of the transmission.

The vacuum modulator adjusts the hydraulic pressure to the governor dependent on the engine vacuum. At wide-open throttle (low vacuum), the full hydraulic pressure is provided to the governor and the wide-open throttle shift points are selected. When there is engine vacuum on the modulator, the hydraulic pressure to the governor is reduced, and the governor finds it easier to overcome the hydraulic pressure to open the shift valve, so earlier shifts are selected. Adjustment or replacement of the vacuum modulator can be used to adjust the part-throttle shift points.

The kick-down cable on the TH350 bypasses the modulator and provide full pressure to the governor, enabling the wide-open throttle shift points. The result is that, when the pedal is depressed past the kick-down point, the modulator is bypassed, and the full hydraulic pressure provided to the governor, which will cause the transmission to downshift if it is below the RPM for the wide-open throttle shift point.

Does that help?

LostMy65 01-17-2016 06:53 PM

That really helps a lot.
Thanks

LostMy65 01-17-2016 07:15 PM

Found a pic of the metal line routing.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1167592572

LostMy65 01-18-2016 07:58 PM

Looks like the metal line is around 36". The rest is made up with the hose.

CHEVYNEVERDIE 10-11-2017 02:58 PM

where can I find transmission vacuum line for my 1977 Chevrolet c10 automatic? I tried ebay and all it shows Camaro, el camino and those are not the same even classicparts, brothers, industrial classic ...

LostMy65 10-11-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEVYNEVERDIE (Post 8058788)
where can I find transmission vacuum line for my 1977 Chevrolet c10 automatic? I tried ebay and all it shows Camaro, el camino and those are not the same even classicparts, brothers, industrial classic ...

I just made my own out of a pre-made flexable brake line piece I bought down at Autozone.

Gregski 02-04-2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7451265)
The vacuum modulator, together with the governor, controls the shift points on the TH350 transmission. All stock TH350s were manufactured the same; their differences in shift characteristics for specific engines and vehicles were set with the governor and modulator.

The governor lives behind a cap secured by a bail on the drivers side of the transmission in front of the tail cone. It is a little widget that spins with the output shaft. There are flyweights and springs on this spinning widget, and when the flyweights overcome the springs and hydraulic pressure, the flyweights push open a rod valve that lives in the center of the governor shaft. Adjusting the governor weights and springs can be done to adjust the wide-open throttle shift points of the transmission.

The vacuum modulator adjusts the hydraulic pressure to the governor dependent on the engine vacuum. At wide-open throttle (low vacuum), the full hydraulic pressure is provided to the governor and the wide-open throttle shift points are selected. When there is engine vacuum on the modulator, the hydraulic pressure to the governor is reduced, and the governor finds it easier to overcome the hydraulic pressure to open the shift valve, so earlier shifts are selected. Adjustment or replacement of the vacuum modulator can be used to adjust the part-throttle shift points.

The kick-down cable on the TH350 bypasses the modulator and provide full pressure to the governor, enabling the wide-open throttle shift points. The result is that, when the pedal is depressed past the kick-down point, the modulator is bypassed, and the full hydraulic pressure provided to the governor, which will cause the transmission to downshift if it is below the RPM for the wide-open throttle shift point.

Does that help?

I don't care if this thread is 2 years old, this reply is spot on MONEY! so i just had to tip my hat to it, thank you so much for a great and simple explanation

69BUCKET 03-13-2018 10:47 PM

What are guys using to "T" off at LS truck intake to use for brake booster and th350 modulator vacuum?