The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

mongocanfly 10-13-2019 12:03 AM

Re: Project "Popeye"

what kinda gas you running in it?..octane?

LEEVON 10-13-2019 08:09 AM

Just 87 octane that I had in a safety can. I plan to go fill it up with 91 ethanol free and see if that helps. Is that what you are thinking?

Also going to bump my idle speed down a hair and play with the timing.

mongocanfly 10-13-2019 02:33 PM

Yeah...its one solution...but may not fix it...
I copied this...

Dieseling is a common problem, especially in warm weather or when the engine is hot. In this case, it is usually caused by running "cheap" gas with inadequate octane. In this case it can usually be remedied by switching to a higher octane fuel.

In milder street engines, another big cause for engine run-on is having the idle set too high, or the carb is misadjusted which requires the idle speed screw to be screwed-in too far to allow the engine to idle. When the idle screw is screwed-in too far, it opens the throttle plates too wide and actually pulls fuel through the main jets a little, so when you shut the engine off, the inertia of the spinning engine still pulls air (and some fuel) through the carb and into the cylinders and the heat built-up inside the combustion chambers is enough to light a few of the cylinders at random to keep the engine spinning and sputtering. Again, this is especially true with fuel that isn't high enough in octane. The more the octane, the less volatile the fuel. Even though the key is off, the engine won't stop sputtering because the throttle plates are opened up enough to still pass a little fuel and air

Fuel injected cars don't have any Dieseling or run-on problems because the fuel is electronically pushed to the injectors via an electric fuel pump, and the injectors electronically fire, so with the key off, the fuel delivery completely stops. Carburetors aren't electric, so even when you shut off the ignition, the inertia of the engine still rotating is still sucking-in a little air and fuel, and as long as it is still rotating

99 to Life 10-14-2019 10:17 AM

You sort out trans controller? I haven't gotten any dieseling with my carbed LS on crap gas. Last SBC I did was pretty good about it and hot starts. My first truck I did 355 with crap heads dieseled and hot started like crazy. All used eddy 600 cfm carb. Congrats, enjoy driving it really loved seeing this build.

Tinbasher 10-30-2019 09:08 PM

I read thru this whole build in a couple days... man your truck is addicting! good job i love your truck!