The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   55*6BT My 55 w/ Cummins power (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=640042)

II_Slow 08-28-2017 04:29 PM

Re: 55*6BT My 55 w/ Cummins power

Maybe - first I need to confirm that the PCM is seeing the Engine Speed Sensor out. I just gapped it over the weekend. The original damper was broken when the '94 truck was wrecked, and the replacement damper (from Cummins) was a larger diameter. The sensor mounting tabs were slotted to align to either, but I had not gapped it to .050 until Saturday. It's gapped now, and wired from the PCM Tach Out to a Dakota Digital Diesel Tach Adapter which has an LED that flashes with pulses in. I haven't fired the truck with the sensor gapped, but last time I ran it wired this way there did not appear to be a Tach Out pulse train (no flash on the interface). I need to read the ESS output signal voltage and see if it changes when it's over the notch in the damper. Just really hard to get to it, and I hate to splice into the sensor cable but I really need to see the voltages.

And yep lots of hours in the rad cover, but it came out even better than expected. I just ordered a new master cylinder reservoir - the last of the old cruddy parts. It should look pretty good under the hood when I get it all painted and cleaned back up. It's really crowded under there - even with all that engine set-back. But I had to have the big radiator, big intercooler, and of course A/C and that stuff had to go somewhere.

lower50's 08-30-2017 07:30 AM

Well it's looking great!! When you get all the bugs figured out you and everyone else will be loving it.

II_Slow 09-13-2017 04:32 PM

Well the junk hood hinges finally pushed me over the edge. The left and right hood hinges are not symmetric - they open and close on different arcs. The right side is 2 inches high when closed. I just ordered a pair of Eddie Motorsports polished billet hinges MS149-22P. Found some on fleabay and did a chat session on Summit. Sent them the link and they matched the price! Regularly $700, dropped to $571.50. Still redonkulous for a pair of hinges but should be a really nice touch for the engine bay. Being a drag racer, I'm very particular about the engine and engine bay. Also have a new reservoir for the master cylinder. This thing is packed under the hood like a late model truck. All complete there except wiring the cruise control canister, installing the relays for the grid heater, and securing the main harness. I plan on sneaking it down the highway to a local car show Saturday morning.