The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Need some help with steering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=547334)

fatgump 10-13-2012 08:28 PM

Need some help with steering

5 Attachment(s)
My steering is binding. Besides the angles does anyone see anything that I am doing wrong? The two on top are mine, the rest are what some people are running and not having issues.
I would prefer to not buy another steering column since the one I have is new. Any help is appreciated.

lolife99 10-15-2012 07:50 AM

Re: Need some help with steering

Who's front end are you using?
Any way you can pull the column up inside the cab more, to lessen the angle of your steering joints?

fatgump 10-15-2012 06:06 PM

Thanks for your response. I tried tha
t. It seems I will be buying a different column.

PBFAB.COM 10-15-2012 06:40 PM

Can you tell where it binds?

Scottshotrods 10-15-2012 06:43 PM

On your middle u-joint you have on the frame you can trim some off the edge of the frame rail and this will allow for a better angle on the u-joint.

Justin

fatgump 10-18-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5647783)
Who's front end are you using?
Any way you can pull the column up inside the cab more, to lessen the angle of your steering joints?

I pulled the column up to the linkage and tried. It did not work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 5648687)
Can you tell where it binds?

I cant tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottshotrods (Post 5648697)
On your middle u-joint you have on the frame you can trim some off the edge of the frame rail and this will allow for a better angle on the u-joint.

Justin

I did take a little off the frame to maximize clearance. I cant do anymore due to the a-arms.

Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone know how much a custom column from ididit will cost and what there lead time is?

Scottshotrods 10-18-2012 10:28 PM

We are a stocking Dealer for Ididit.Most columns you can have in 5 working days.

What kind of finish do you want on the column.
1.Steel Raw
2.Chrome
3.Black powder coated
4.Column shifter or tilt only

We have some of the best prices on ididit columns out there.You can call us on friday at the shop and we will take care of you for sure.Give you a price you cannot pass up!!!!
You can reach us at (805)485-0382

Justin

Portmod7 10-19-2012 12:06 AM

Its hard to see the angle, but have you tried or would it be possible to shorten the shaft going down through the heim to the rack, and lengthen the one above?

I can't tell if there's room for the joint above the control arm mount to move down closer to the heim or not... I am also not sure if it would lessen the angle off the column, if i had to guess from the picture that's where I would say the problem is. Hard to tell.