The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help with measurements please, single vs. double wall side window dimensions... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=621942)

DeadheadNM 03-23-2014 12:55 PM

Need help with measurements please, single vs. double wall side window dimensions...

I believe the side window openings for a single vs. double wall top differ in size. If anyone has a single and/or double wall top with the windows out, could you post the dimensions of the aperture: front to back and top to bottom?

I've tracked down a set of slider windows and suspect one of the two top designs needs to have the opening widened to accommodate the windows. A difference may also in part explain why there are separate gaskets for the two tops.

Thanks!!

DAVERJ 03-23-2014 07:21 PM

Re: Need help with measurements please, single vs. double wall side window dimensions

thought they were the same,i have both here can measure and post tomorrow

jaros44sr 03-23-2014 08:27 PM

Re: Need help with measurements please, single vs. double wall side window dimensions

Geez, i thought they were the same size, and the differance was in the thickness of the fibreglas top

Guess well have to wait till tomorrow

DeadheadNM 03-23-2014 11:45 PM

Thanks guys...I'm really curious.

Bentblazer 03-24-2014 08:42 AM

I think this has been debated before, not sure if there was a clear answer. My top has one gasket and window from a double wall and one gasket and window from a single wall, I cant tell the difference.

Tom Vogel 03-24-2014 09:36 AM

No difference in size or thickness. Just had all mine replaced with custom cut glass. Used the old double wall glass for templates. Fits perfect in the single wall top.

DeadheadNM 03-24-2014 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The glass is the same but I suspect the openings have slight differences (3/8"?) in size. GM did make separate gaskets and this set of installation instructions for a NOS slider window I found indicates that one of the two styles needs the opening enlarged, which suggests that the sizes do differ. As shown, one gasket style is offset from the other relative to the wall. I'd like to know if I need to plan for enlarging the opening to do a slider install beforehand (in my case into a single wall top). The diagram illustrates the differing gasket configurations and glass relation with regard to the wall of the top(s).

DeadheadNM 03-26-2014 08:00 AM

bump

truckster 03-26-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 6591573)
The glass is the same but I suspect the openings have slight differences (3/8"?) in size. GM did make separate gaskets and this set of installation instructions for a NOS slider window I found indicates that one of the two styles needs the opening enlarged, which suggests that the sizes do differ. As shown, one gasket style is offset from the other relative to the wall. I'd like to know if I need to plan for enlarging the opening to do a slider install beforehand (in my case into a single wall top). The diagram illustrates the differing gasket configurations and glass relation with regard to the wall of the top(s).

I have had both gaskets. The aftermarket gaskets I have seen are all the "S" type gaskets, although you can still get the "H" type, as it's used in heavy equipment.

DeadheadNM 04-03-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 6596458)
I have had both gaskets. The aftermarket gaskets I have seen are all the "S" type gaskets, although you can still get the "H" type, as it's used in heavy equipment.

Thanks - The single and double wall gaskets are both available per Wes Hepp (Classic Heartbeat). Previously only 2x wall gaskets were available.

Bump for the measurements.....anyone?

SS Tim 04-03-2014 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Parts manual is showing four glass part numbers (two tinted and two clear) along with two different gaskets.

DeadheadNM 04-03-2014 11:59 PM

Huh....four glass numbers, two tops, clear vs. tinted. That implies differences in the glass for 1x vs. 2x tops.

DeadheadNM 04-14-2018 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reference pic shows single wall glass (thin) adjacent to double wall glass (thicker).