The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   18" Nissan Titan Wheels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=678748)

zplightning 08-06-2015 11:11 PM

18" Nissan Titan Wheels

5 Attachment(s)
I wanted to share the project I have been working on for a while. I originally wanted some 18" Mobsteel wheels for my truck, but after thinking it over, I thought I would try and put together a setup with tires that would cost around the same as the Mobsteel wheels alone.

The wheels are 18x8 with a 5.5" backspace, I have 1.5" spacers in the rear, and will probably put the same up front eventually. I used volkswagen bug (old school) clips to install the hubcaps, which I believe are off of a 60's Impala, and I got the 18" beauty rings off of eBay.

Here's a few pics of the progress from start to finish. I am throwing around the idea of painting them turquoise to match the roof instead of black, I'd love to hear opinions good or bad!

zplightning 08-06-2015 11:15 PM

Re: 18" Nissan Titan Wheels

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more random pics along the way, sorry they are all out of order!

Blessed66 08-06-2015 11:38 PM

I like it. But, I might be biased. I never considered spacers before, coming from the "go fast" crowd, I'd always heard spacers are a bad option. But hey, can't argue with the result. Looks awesome, man.

Jcox68rt 08-07-2015 12:56 AM

Lookin good! How about some pics from the front or back to see how they fill up the wheel wells? What tires did you end up running? I've been looking for a set of these...hard to find locally where I live here in the sticks.

Jason

Warrens69GMC 08-07-2015 09:16 AM

It almost seems like you could have the centers reversed and be able to run them without spacers.

geezer#99 08-07-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 7266307)
It almost seems like you could have the centers reversed and be able to run them without spacers.

You can't run them like that!
Centre bore is smaller and won't fit the hub.
Good looking wheels though!!
Similar to the artillery wheels from years ago.

Blessed66 08-07-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 7266318)
You can't run them like that!
Centre bore is smaller and won't fit the hub.
Good looking wheels though!!
Similar to the artillery wheels from years ago.

This. Although, I think the Toyota FJ Cruiser wheels have a huge center bore. I haven't tried them out yet, but I do remember a member here had OEM Titan 20" wheels and had to machine the bore to make them clear the hub.

Palf70Step 08-07-2015 10:31 AM

Wheels look good. Not sure about the roof color, though. I think the black is great, just not sure till I see it what they would look like matching the top. Probably just as good, my mind just isn't working real well this morning.

zplightning 08-07-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed66 (Post 7266117)
I like it. But, I might be biased. I never considered spacers before, coming from the "go fast" crowd, I'd always heard spacers are a bad option. But hey, can't argue with the result. Looks awesome, man.

Thanks I appreciate it! I was also weary of the spacers, but they seem to be working in a lot of different applications, and I felt safer with these that bolt on and have their own studs as opposed to just pushing out the wheels on stock bolts.

zplightning 08-07-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcox68rt (Post 7266156)
Lookin good! How about some pics from the front or back to see how they fill up the wheel wells? What tires did you end up running? I've been looking for a set of these...hard to find locally where I live here in the sticks.

Jason

I'm running some 225-60-18's, I bought them new from Pepboys and they are Definity I believe. I was impatient and could have gotten some better tires for a bit more but they weren't in stock - I really just wanted something that definitely wouldn't rub, and also had some height so that I could keep the gearing as close to it was before (I'm currently cruising about 3200 RPM's @ 70mph)

By the way, I bought these brand new and they came out to about $370, which might be an option if you can't find some used ones.

Jcox68rt 08-07-2015 11:01 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info! :metal:

zplightning 08-07-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7266374)
Wheels look good. Not sure about the roof color, though. I think the black is great, just not sure till I see it what they would look like matching the top. Probably just as good, my mind just isn't working real well this morning.

Yeah I've gone back and forth on it quite a bit, I think I'll probably just leave them black... I just feel there's too much white on it (I didn't choose the paint scheme). Maybe some fleetside trim will break it up a bit.

Blessed66 08-07-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zplightning (Post 7266405)
Thanks I appreciate it! I was also weary of the spacers, but they seem to be working in a lot of different applications, and I felt safer with these that bolt on and have their own studs as opposed to just pushing out the wheels on stock bolts.

I'm sure spacers have come a long way since some of the issues people had with them, and I agree, I like the torqued on spacer with its own studs and nuts. I'm sure there is a HP/TQ limit still, but I'm willing to wager it would be fine for many applications.

Considering the plethora of 6-luggers out there that won't fit, a spacer set opens up some doors, for sure.

LostMy65 07-17-2017 09:31 PM

Any updates?

61K10 07-18-2017 01:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Toyota fj wheels will fit. these were on my k-10 when i bought it. 17"x around 7.5 wide and around 4.5 or 5" Back spacing. Those wheel spacers are fine. 4x4 people use them for tire clearance on some rigs.