The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Edelbrock or Holley? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733211)

63C20 03-19-2017 04:45 PM

Edelbrock or Holley?

my new engine will be here today, its my driver while i build my new motor. i have never had a holley, does it get the vapor lock issues like edelbrock when it gets hot? what should i run?

geezer#99 03-19-2017 05:38 PM

Re: Edelbrock or Holley?

A holley with the float bowls extended front/back might have a problem but not like an eddy does.
Doesn't hurt to use a heat shield though.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/108-70

63C20 03-20-2017 12:09 PM

i dont know what you mean by eddy?

geezer#99 03-20-2017 12:18 PM

EDDYBROCK!
AKA edelbrock.
Slang is eddy.

truckster 03-20-2017 01:20 PM

Perhaps you already have your mind made up, but why not a Quadrajet? There's a reason they were installed on millions of GM vehicles. They're dependable, efficient, and provide lots of power.

crazy longhorn 03-20-2017 09:19 PM

If you want a set it & forget it, use the insulator gasket under the Eddy carb! I will say that I can tune the snot out of a Holley carb....but if you are not into tuning( DD), cruiser, forget it. As far as the Q-jet carb....many guys stay clear, not that it a bad carb, but it is more complex to tune. I spent 3 weeks tuning a Q-jet....after it was done , it was badder than the last Holley that I ran on that combo! longhorn

GASoline71 03-21-2017 06:23 PM

Holley's get a bad rap only because people tinker with them too much and then can't get them tuned back properly. Any Holley carb can be a set it and forget it type of deal. I've been running Holley carbs on the streets for eons and have never had to fiddle with them all the time. The ONLY time I've constantly fiddled with Holley carbs is at the drag strip.

You couldn't pay me to use an Edelbrock/AFB carb.

Gary

crazy longhorn 03-21-2017 06:52 PM

First off, I wont have anything bad to say about a Holley carb....out of the 3 carbs mentioned, I feel that it comes down to personal preference/tuning abilities. On the track, run a Holley, or quick fuel,ect. On the street, you can run any of the 3 listed, but i feel that it is once again a personal preference. I have ran 2 Eddys, & a Carter on the street, in a cruiser style app....with no issues. they do need the insulator gasket under them, & do not like more than about 5psi on the fuel pump........Longhorn

TJ's Chevy 03-21-2017 09:17 PM

I've run my 600 cfm edelbrock for 5 years now without on issue. Been on two engines to. Currently on my daily driver.

my56chevytruck 03-21-2017 10:41 PM

Years gone by, I owned nothing but Holley's, all sizes and in all types of cars. Mostly 60's muscle cars. Since then I've been using Edelbrocks and have found my favorite brand. The easiest carb to install and run. Little to no adjustments necessary. Won't go back to Holley's now.

Marv D 03-22-2017 10:12 AM

Coke, Pepsi or Mt Dew???

I've ran edelbrokes , Holleys, Carter and Rochester Q-jets, Holley MPFI Holley TBI kits,, and we all have our favorites and our nemesis. ANY of them can be a POS right out of the box, and likewise any of them can fit an application well.

Thinking ANY CARB is an out of the box, plug and play, perfect tune carb is foolishness.

Edelbroke carbs are cheap, and as long as you get fuel pressure in range for the carb, and your free O2 / vacuum signal is close, they will get you from point A to point B.

Go to the track and you won't see any of the quick cars running Edelbroke carbs, but you won't see them running ANY vacuum secondary carb.

Likewise any if efficiency / emissions and good tune is a concern,,, you can't compare a feedback EFI with ANY carb.

So if your not looking for all out POWER,, and not looking for ultimate efficiency perfection,,, then pick your poison...
So I digress,,,, Would you like fries with your Coke / Pepsi / Dr Pepper???

63C20 03-22-2017 01:38 PM

i opted for neither, i got a nicely tuned QJ now i just need to figure out all the darn vacume posts on it

crazy longhorn 03-23-2017 10:06 PM

Congrats on your choice.... A well prepped Q-jet will run nice on the street, & give decent mileage.If you post a pick on the carb, I can get into the Q-jet manual, & help with the vac fittings....longhorn:chevy:

franken 03-23-2017 10:12 PM

I wonder about the Holley spreadbores. Cheap, simple carbs meant as replacements for spreadbores of the era.
To me, the Holley seems more simple, and simple makes me happy.

crazy longhorn 03-23-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 7894889)
I wonder about the Holley spreadbores. Cheap, simple carbs meant as replacements for spreadbores of the era.
To me, the Holley seems more simple, and simple makes me happy.

I ran the Holley spread bore carbs, & will say that they were an improvement, on a worn out Q-jet....but I have built/prepped a couple old Q-jet carbs. If that Q-jet is prepped right on, it will be the sweetest carb that you will run on the street Perf/mileage. As Marv stated, "would you like pepsi,coke, or mt dew with your fries"? Longhorn

63C20 03-24-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy longhorn (Post 7894875)
Congrats on your choice.... A well prepped Q-jet will run nice on the street, & give decent mileage.If you post a pick on the carb, I can get into the Q-jet manual, & help with the vac fittings....longhorn:chevy:

It's a 17082226
Posted via Mobile Device