The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Panel Truck Gas Tank Relocation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754612)

MiraclePieCo 01-12-2018 04:44 AM

Panel Truck Gas Tank Relocation

51 panel truck, has 4-link encroaching on the space where the gas tank used to be. So I've gotta relocate the tank to the rear. Anyone done this on a panel or Suburban? What tank did you use? Is it possible to run the filler tube up to the original location? Or how about a gas filler door on the rear sill inside the barn doors?

mongocanfly 01-12-2018 04:54 AM

Re: Panel Truck Gas Tank Relocation

check out advanced designs (Doug) and young rodders (Marc) burb builds....they might be of help..

Iceburgh 01-12-2018 05:14 PM

I moved mine behind the rear and routed the filler there as well. Original filler whole will be tough on my setup.... it is to low

Advanced Design 01-12-2018 10:49 PM

Yes, I put mine behind the rear axle in my Burb and copied dwcsr. Ordered the parts from him too. There are pic's in my build thread. Marc has a good set up so check his Burb build for ideas as well.

mr48chev 01-12-2018 11:57 PM

The original tank is about the same or the same as the 47/48 pickup and I imagine just as much of a pain to fill as the pickup tank is. I'd think that most tanks with a side filler that work on a pickup will work on the burb. It's probably a lot easier to work out a new and higher filler neck setup on the burb though.

MiraclePieCo 01-13-2018 05:24 AM

Thanks gentlemen, I had great evening's entertainment reading your build threads! They closely mirrored my plan, although it looks like it won't be practical to keep the original filler location.

fine69 01-13-2018 08:42 PM

I was wondering about this for my 49 panel too. I have not started on it yet. But I need this ahead of starting.

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to the advice on this forum, things are going well on my gas tank relocation. Much as I tried, I couldn't retain the original curved spare tire crossmember - made a new flat one instead. Just need to fab some strap tensioners tomorrow (note the vice grips holding the mounting straps), but you get the idea. Filler neck will be under the floor, accessible by a filler door.

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 10:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the strap tensioners made today, so the tank installation is complete!

Advanced Design 02-10-2018 11:09 PM

Looks good!

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8184529)
Looks good!

Thanks Doug, and thanks for your 'Burb blog. I read it start to finish.

fine69 02-11-2018 09:10 PM

What is that tank for? Originally I mean.

MiraclePieCo 02-12-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 8185416)
What is that tank for? Originally I mean.

67-68 Camaro. Fits between the frame rails with about 1/2" leeway on each side. Did require the removal of the rear spare tire crossmember however. From reading various build threads, if you want to keep your rear crossmember intact, the 65 Mustang tank seems to be the way to go.

fine69 02-12-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8185693)
67-68 Camaro. Fits between the frame rails with about 1/2" leeway on each side. Did require the removal of the rear spare tire crossmember however. From reading various build threads, if you want to keep your rear crossmember intact, the 65 Mustang tank seems to be the way to go.

Thanks. I am not concerned with keeping the crossmember. Putting a Mustang tank in would be just wrong!

Advanced Design 02-12-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8184552)
Thanks Doug, and thanks for your 'Burb blog. I read it start to finish.

Very welcome, glad it helped....and that you could get through it as it is too long.

MiraclePieCo 03-17-2018 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the filler neck location on my '51 panel truck finalized today. Since the truck body is virtually pristine, I was adamant about not cutting any new holes in the body or fenders. Instead I grudgingly cut a hole in the wooden floor. The filler door wouldn't sync with the wood slats so I added a transition piece below to span across the boards and runners. The Camaro tank inlet is offset an inch to the right, further complicating matters.

To prevent vapor intrusion into the cab the cap is sealed with an o-ring, the tank is vented out the right wheel well, and the plate and filler door are sealed with foam weatherstrip tape. Obviously care will be required to avoid spillage when fueling.

fine69 03-18-2018 10:35 PM

Looks good. This is pretty much what I planned on doing. I really would prefer cutting a hole in the floor instead of hacking up a fender.
Thanks for posting pics.