The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another K5 rear window thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754744)

tobiahr 01-13-2018 08:14 PM

Another K5 rear window thread

I have a 1982 k5 with a power rear window that is stuck in the up position. there is a sub box built and mounted to the rear floor so that it is snug against the back door and I cannot get to the panel and roll down manually or reach the motor. the rear window will not roll down with either the dash switch nor the tailgate switch and there is power to the dash switch. can anyone tell me what wiring I can cut into to try and bypass the switches or it that is even possible? kinda stuck at this point and looking for any suggestion that does not involve destroying the sub box or body sheetmetal.

Zook75 01-14-2018 11:16 AM

Re: Another K5 rear window thread

I just went threw this myself, I had power to both switches and could hear the motor trying but not moving. My issue was the drive cable itself and had no choice but to get the inside panel off.

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure your going to have to pull that box out.

tobiahr 01-14-2018 01:59 PM

i'm afraid your right. looking at if I can drill out or grind off the mounts for the box from underneath or if I am just going to sacrifice the box. Thanks for the reply

phillipm 01-16-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobiahr (Post 8160505)
i'm afraid your right. looking at if I can drill out or grind off the mounts for the box from underneath or if I am just going to sacrifice the box. Thanks for the reply

Pull the speakers out. It's probably just screwed in from inside the box.

tobiahr 01-16-2018 10:31 PM

I wound up pulling the speaker box out....didn't matter that I ruined the front of the box as at some point a rodent had chewed through the front of one of the speakers and nested in there anyway. The motor had seized and the cable basically fell out of the motor when I touched it.
Thanks for the replies.

Zook75 01-16-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobiahr (Post 8162824)
I wound up pulling the speaker box out....didn't matter that I ruined the front of the box as at some point a rodent had chewed through the front of one of the speakers and nested in there anyway. The motor had seized and the cable basically fell out of the motor when I touched it.
Thanks for the replies.

So you need a new motor or cable?

tobiahr 01-19-2018 05:11 PM

both. I am going to wind up rebuilding the entire regulator and rear door anyway and so will leave it down and disconnected for now. thinking about smoothing the rear door and putting the switch somewhere else as well.

Nomadicflyer 05-07-2018 11:09 AM

Tobiahr~

Any luck? I have a 91 that might share the same parts as yours. I need to stay ahead of the slow crunchy cranky rear window and start throwing parts at it. Did you end up finding a good source for parts?

buffydores 05-10-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer (Post 8256192)
Tobiahr~

Any luck? I have a 91 that might share the same parts as yours. I need to stay ahead of the slow crunchy cranky rear window and start throwing parts at it. Did you end up finding a good source for parts?

LMC Truck has all the parts you need.

trukman1 05-28-2018 08:51 AM

I've had really good luck with CARiD. Also, when I left a good review they sent me a $25 coupon good for my next purchase. All the parts I've purchased have been exceptional quality. You can also check Rock Auto but everything I've needed I found at CARiD for less.