The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Anyone running the new dropped axle like Speedway has? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780917)

MARTINSR 02-05-2019 11:05 AM

Anyone running the new dropped axle like Speedway has?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Axle,5842.html

I am torn between having Sids drop my stocker or getting one of these. I have been told over and over that dropped axles often have issues with king pins and they will have different camber side to side, that sort of thing.

And again, I thought I posted a thread about this but couldn't find it, sorry if it's a repeat.

Brian

Henry50 02-05-2019 02:01 PM

Re: Anyone running the new dropped axle like Speedway has?

A few people on the HAMB have posted having problems with the speedway axles, I've never seen any complaints on Sid's.

MARTINSR 02-05-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry50 (Post 8459261)
A few people on the HAMB have poted having problems with the speedway axles, I've never seen any complaints on Sid's.

Crap, Speedway sounded a lot easier, crap.

Brian

nvrdone 02-05-2019 11:41 PM

brian - I sent you pictures of my dropped axle set up. if you cant find them I can send them again. I think they went to your email. anyway, my axle is from Sid's. I bought it straight out - no core returned and he didn't drop mine. The king pins were a press fit and there is no difference in king pin angle. Im really happy with it.

MARTINSR 02-06-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8459730)
brian - I sent you pictures of my dropped axle set up. if you cant find them I can send them again. I think they went to your email. anyway, my axle is from Sid's. I bought it straight out - no core returned and he didn't drop mine. The king pins were a press fit and there is no difference in king pin angle. Im really happy with it.

Wait a second, you didn't do the core? How much did it cost you?

Brian

MARTINSR 02-06-2019 01:07 AM

I don't remember seeing those pictures.

Brian

mr48chev 02-06-2019 02:52 AM

I don't see what Sid's core charge is but it used to be between 60 an 100.

You just missed him at the Turlock swapmeet. He hauled a load of axles out. He also hauled a load of stuff back that lived up to anything your ever heard about guy from Oklahoma piling stuff on the back of trucks. I don't think I could have got that load on my 10 ft flatbed with 4 ft racks.

You could see a pile of core axles in one or two of his photos that were either trade ins or ones he bought at the swap meet.

Truthfully I wouldn't put on of those Speedway axles on a utility trailer to haul trash to the dump. I just flat don't like the way they are made or the looks of them.

MARTINSR 02-06-2019 11:05 AM

Crap, I have thought about someone like that going to a Goodguys or something and be able to get something without the shipping, and it happened and I missed it. I have a friend go to Turlock asking me right up to the minute he left if I wanted to go, crap!

Brian

MARTINSR 02-06-2019 11:06 AM

I have a core, that's not the problem, it's the frigging shipping and all, crap, that's more than the core charge. Then the shipping of the dropped axle, it really adds up. But I guess I will be doing that.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 02-06-2019 06:20 PM

How does Speedway secure the solid ends to the DOM center section?

nvrdone 02-06-2019 11:52 PM

brian - go check your buickfam email. I sent pictures in aug of 2018.

MARTINSR 02-07-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8460264)
How does Speedway secure the solid ends to the DOM center section?

A big azz weld! I actually had one years ago, I bought it at a swap meet and it ended up being for a 55-59

But yeah, forged ends with a tube in the middle simply welded together.

Brian

mr48chev 02-07-2019 03:19 PM

Sid's core charge used to be about the same as the cost of shipping an axle back.

Usually there is a three or four week wait if a guys sends his axle in and "has to have" that exact axle back. Just like any place else where you have work done, it's take a number and get in line and it all depends on how long the line is.

Sid had posted on FB that he was going to Turlock as he goes every year. I think he goes to the LA Roadsters fathers day show too but a guy would have to check.