The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Tuck In Front Bumper (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797003)

Driver_WT 11-22-2019 08:50 AM

Tuck In Front Bumper

What is the best way to tuck in the front bumper on my 53 Chevy 3100? Do I modify the splash pan or make a new one? I have already trimmed three inches off of each end of the front bumper, now I want it tucked in more.

Any pics of a nicely tucked front bumper?

thanks.

Wade

mongocanfly 11-22-2019 09:37 AM

Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Just modify what you have or make a new one....just like your already thinking

Driver_WT 11-22-2019 10:12 AM

Thanks. Do most people just tuck the front bumper in to the front of the bottom of the grill, or do you go under the grill?

mongocanfly 11-22-2019 05:41 PM

Personal choice I guess...I'd keep it under the grill bar, but a little in front of it

mr48chev 11-22-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8631404)
Personal choice I guess...I'd keep it under the grill bar, but a little in front of it

Which I interpret as on the same level that it is originally but closer to the grill.

On the splash apron, I'd say that may depend on your personal skills or the skills available to you. Either cutting and welding or fabbing a new one. I don't think you will gain what you hope to by cutting and welding though and a newly fabricated one could slip below the grill as long as it cleared a tad.

I have to do pretty much the same thing with the 49 Plymouth ribbed bumpers that I am putting on mine. Right down to trimming the ends for clearance.

Driver_WT 11-22-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8631424)
Which I interpret as on the same level that it is originally but closer to the grill.

On the splash apron, I'd say that may depend on your personal skills or the skills available to you. Either cutting and welding or fabbing a new one. I don't think you will gain what you hope to by cutting and welding though and a newly fabricated one could slip below the grill as long as it cleared a tad.

I have to do pretty much the same thing with the 49 Plymouth ribbed bumpers that I am putting on mine. Right down to trimming the ends for clearance.

Thank you. I do have a new splash pan, but if I cut it up, I would like it to work. Just looking for some ideas, advice and pics of what others have done to increase my own probability of success. A good friend is helping with the truck project and he is a great welder with good equipment.

oldman3 11-23-2019 12:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I ended up cutting about 3" out of my bumper brackets (see Pic 1)

I also narrowed mine about 3" per side and welded studs to the bumper and smoothed them out (see pic 2 @3)

I made mine own splash apron to fit my bumper and then the fenders, etc.

Here's the finished product (see pic 4)

Hope this helps...Jim

Driver_WT 11-23-2019 12:49 AM

Thanks very much Jim. I have reviewed your build a number of times and have copied some things, including your trimmed and smoothed front bumper. Is your front splash pan just flat sheet metal?

Wade

oldman3 11-23-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver_WT (Post 8631582)
Is your front splash pan just flat sheet metal?

Wade

Wade, thanks for checking out the build. Yes, splash pan in 1/8" flat sheet metal. I made a poster board template of the shape and size, then cut it out...Jim

oldman3 11-23-2019 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wade, forgot to add that I welded four tabs on the pan to hold in place, like the orginal one. Here's a pic...Jim

Driver_WT 11-23-2019 10:49 AM

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the detail and the pics.

Wade

my56chevytruck 11-23-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver_WT (Post 8631163)
What is the best way to tuck in the front bumper on my 53 Chevy 3100? Do I modify the splash pan or make a new one? I have already trimmed three inches off of each end of the front bumper, now I want it tucked in more.

Any pics of a nicely tucked front bumper?

thanks.

Wade

any thoughts of cutting the width down on the bumper to begin with? Making it not as wide as they are??

Driver_WT 11-23-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my56chevytruck (Post 8632026)
any thoughts of cutting the width down on the bumper to begin with? Making it not as wide as they are??

I have cut 3" off each end (copied from Oldman3 - Jim).

I could not make the bumper any narrower as I have put two 3.5" driving lights in the front bumper.

oldman3 11-24-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver_WT (Post 8632027)
I could not make the bumper any narrower as I have put two 3.5" driving lights in the front bumper.

Always thought that would look good, if everything was shaped right, look forward to seeing this...Jim

Driver_WT 11-24-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8632077)
Always thought that would look good, if everything was shaped right, look forward to seeing this...Jim

I will post up some pics soon Jim.

Dan in Pasadena 11-26-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8631580)
I ended up cutting about 3" out of my bumper brackets (see Pic 1)

I also narrowed mine about 3" per side and welded studs to the bumper and smoothed them out (see pic 2 @3)

I made mine own splash apron to fit my bumper and then the fenders, etc.

Here's the finished product (see pic 4)

Hope this helps...Jim

Jim, I’d never noticed before but in the photo it looks like the bumper & splash pan are welded together and smoothed out to be one piece. Your fit must be spot on. Nice!

Too bad the Task Force trucks never came with a splash pan. I considered making some for mine but in the crush at the end I never went back to it. This thread has me thinking!

mr48chev 11-26-2019 05:22 PM

I'd just say that Oldman3 has that fit and finish thing down to the gnats patootie and raised the bar a couple of notches there. What looks like seamless is superior fit. Time and patience there rather than throwing money at it.

oldman3 11-26-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8633460)
Jim, I’d never noticed before but in the photo it looks like the bumper & splash pan are welded together and smoothed out to be one piece. Your fit must be spot on. Nice!

Too bad the Task Force trucks never came with a splash pan. I considered making some for mine but in the crush at the end I never went back to it. This thread has me thinking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8633471)
I'd just say that Oldman3 has that fit and finish thing down to the gnats patootie and raised the bar a couple of notches there. What looks like seamless is superior fit. Time and patience there rather than throwing money at it.

Thanks Dan and mr48, for the high praise. There is a small gap between bumper and splash apron, just enough to keep it from hitting each other. Dan I'm sure you can cut a pattern of what you want, put it to metal and finish. You have a beautiful truck and this addition would add to it...Jim

Driver_WT 11-27-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8633537)
Thanks Dan and mr48, for the high praise. There is a small gap between bumper and splash apron, just enough to keep it from hitting each other. Dan I'm sure you can cut a pattern of what you want, put it to metal and finish. You have a beautiful truck and this addition would add to it...Jim

I thought it was welded as well. Very nice work Jim. I am hoping that my project will be at least 75% of what you have done. ;)

oldman3 11-27-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver_WT (Post 8633704)
I thought it was welded as well. Very nice work Jim. I am hoping that my project will be at least 75% of what you have done. ;)

Thanks Wade. I thought about welding it together, but getting it to line up with top of bumper and under grill I wasn't sure would work, so no welding. I'm sure yours will come out fine, looking forward to pics...Jim

MD2020 11-27-2019 10:33 AM

A little off topic
Mine's a 1956 truck
I did not have a front bumper and it had a Nova front clip.
I bought a black bumper off of eba__ and cut about 6" out of the center and pushed it up against the lower grill panel, then made some bracket to hold it.

Fit's like it was suppose to be that way.