The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rear sway bar (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752356)

56weav 12-11-2017 05:02 PM

Rear sway bar

Good afternoon,
In an effort to improve the handling of my 86 GMC short bed I have read that a used rear sway bar from a suburban will accomplish some improvement.
Does anyone have experience with such and if so what year or years suburban am I looking to find the sway bar ?
Thank You

homemade87 12-11-2017 06:30 PM

Re: Rear sway bar

If you really want to improve the handling get the front oem sway bar . Made a big difference in my 82 . I feel no need for a rear .

I got mine at a local junk yard . The brackets on the frame are riveted . I had them off in about 20 min . Just start with a small drill bit and get bigger and hit them with a chisel . They popped right off .

MASONGMC 12-13-2017 07:10 AM

hello
I run a Hellwig sway bar on my rear of my 1977 GMC stepside 4x4. And you didn't have to drill any holes to install either.

56weav 12-13-2017 09:30 AM

Thank you,
My truck has a front sway bar I’ll probably replace the front bushing with poly
Do you believe the rear bar was worth the effort and expense ?
I did find a c30 rear sway bar , it appears that it won’t mount up

nonstop 12-13-2017 12:26 PM

I just did this on my truck with a c30 rear bar. My truck is a K2500. Here is what I had to do:

I got the sway bar and u bolt mounts from the junkyard. I had to order square u bolts and CAST IRON u bolt plates ($20 each from eBay). The cast iron plates gave me a little bit more clearance around the shock mount. I still had to grind the passenger plate slightly. I also had to grind the drivers side sway bar mount plate in little bit.

I bolted up the swaybar similarly as it came off the donor truck. To make it fit, I had to Cut off the excess threads from two of the U bolts. I put in all new replacement bushings. As for the end links, I used all thread and tubing along with nylock nuts. I had to drill two holes in the frame, but that was the extent of any drilling.

In the end, it was a little more work than I expected, and I had to do things a little different since my truck has a 4 inch lift, but the rear sway bar was worth it in my opinion.

PowerdbyChevy79 12-13-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstop (Post 8103994)
I just did this on my truck with a c30 rear bar. My truck is a K2500. Here is what I had to do:

I got the sway bar and u bolt mounts from the junkyard. I had to order square u bolts and CAST IRON u bolt plates ($20 each from eBay). The cast iron plates gave me a little bit more clearance around the shock mount. I still had to grind the passenger plate slightly. I also had to grind the drivers side sway bar mount plate in little bit.

I bolted up the swaybar similarly as it came off the donor truck. To make it fit, I had to Cut off the excess threads from two of the U bolts. I put in all new replacement bushings. As for the end links, I used all thread and tubing along with nylock nuts. I had to drill two holes in the frame, but that was the extent of any drilling.

In the end, it was a little more work than I expected, and I had to do things a little different since my truck has a 4 inch lift, but the rear sway bar was worth it in my opinion.

how did it help with the handling?

nonstop 12-13-2017 02:30 PM

It feels flatter in turns and there is less body roll coming from the rear. On a side not (not sure if it’s related) my locker seems to have a little better manners on the street.

56weav 12-14-2017 08:47 PM

Thank You for you input everyone